Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: “Old Stout” Maybe, Maybe Not!  (Read 547 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
“Old Stout” Maybe, Maybe Not!
« on: November 26, 2022, 01:26:42 pm »
So I had been ignoring this keg of stout! Not that I didn’t like it or because I was aging for a reason. Its just that I never got around to tapping it. I had “other” beers that were “more” important to me. Maybe the weather didn’t align with my rotations. I prefer strong dark beers in the dead of winter cozied up at the fireplace with a book in hand and my wife chatting about whatever fancies her. So today is the day! My kegerator was empty of kegs and it was time for a deep cleaning of all things draft. In it goes!! Getting carbed up with a gas/nitro mix for a few days and we will see how it aged. This stout came in IIRC about 10% so hopefully it’s still tasty! Her sister kegs from the same 35 gallon batch went into a 30 gallon Wigle Distillery barrel, and to blow my own trumpet, damn good too!!
Cheers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: “Old Stout” Maybe, Maybe Not!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 08:05:45 am »
It should be awesome! Enjoy.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: “Old Stout” Maybe, Maybe Not!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 02:16:53 pm »
So I had been ignoring this keg of stout! Not that I didn’t like it or because I was aging for a reason. Its just that I never got around to tapping it. I had “other” beers that were “more” important to me. Maybe the weather didn’t align with my rotations. I prefer strong dark beers in the dead of winter cozied up at the fireplace with a book in hand and my wife chatting about whatever fancies her. So today is the day! My kegerator was empty of kegs and it was time for a deep cleaning of all things draft. In it goes!! Getting carbed up with a gas/nitro mix for a few days and we will see how it aged. This stout came in IIRC about 10% so hopefully it’s still tasty! Her sister kegs from the same 35 gallon batch went into a 30 gallon Wigle Distillery barrel, and to blow my own trumpet, damn good too!!
Cheers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a follow-up.... this beer aged well in terms of any staling or off flavors/aromas but it does have a touch of alcoholness to it that I didn't perceive with the kegs that aged in a whiskey barrel.  IDK if that has anything to do with the fact that it never spent time in the whiskey barrel that the other kegs did or that I am overly sensitive to it?  At any rate, I like the beer and wouldn't hesitate to forget about another keg for 4 years. I actually have another imperial stout aging in a whiskey barrel for the last 10 months but Me thinks it is going to age for a bit longer.