Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning your keg and tap lines  (Read 1234 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Cleaning your keg and tap lines
« on: November 17, 2022, 12:51:16 pm »
My latest keg finally emptied last night, so I was thinking, I have never taken the whole thing apart to clean it.  Also, this might be a good time to take a look at the beer line and see if shortening it up might help with the foam I get on the first pour of the day.  My ritual up to now was I would fill the keg with Alkaline Brewery wash and run it thru the lines and tap like I am pouring a beer.  I do this for about 3 to 4 gallons and they switch and clean out the keg with warm water and flush the lines that way.  I tried to take the tap apart once, but got scared as I could not get the stem out without forcing so I quit.  I am guessing as long as the cleaner hits the same spots as the beer then I am ok, but just kinda curious what you all do.  Also, after I am done with that, I usually run StarSan thru it the same way.  I get alot of foam out of the tap, but heck, that must mean it's doing it's job, right? 

As far as the foam issue, my line is about 5 feet long I believe, and it runs up from the keg, thru the little freezer area and up to the tap.  My tower is pipe that you would buy at home depot, and it has an insulation tube in it like you would wrap pipe on your water heater or outside pipe to keep it from freezing. 

Anyway, any feedback would be most appreciated. 

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Cleaning your keg and tap lines
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 02:14:19 pm »
If you're only getting excessive foam on the first pour, the problem is likely just warm faucet(s) and line(s) in the tower and is perfectly normal. Just draw 2 or 3 ounces into a small glass before pouring the first pint. As for cleaning faucets & lines, I'd definitely do a complete teardown to see if your normal cleaning procedure is doing a good job. Always good to be sure.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 09:51:32 am »
I agree with Bob as to foam and cleaning. I bet when your tap is filthy! If tossing out the warm beer does not solve the foam issue use a longer line, 7-10 feet.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 09:48:35 am »
If you're only getting excessive foam on the first pour, the problem is likely just warm faucet(s) and line(s) in the tower and is perfectly normal. Just draw 2 or 3 ounces into a small glass before pouring the first pint. As for cleaning faucets & lines, I'd definitely do a complete teardown to see if your normal cleaning procedure is doing a good job. Always good to be sure.

Awesome, thanks.  I don't have much going on today so that could be a project. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 07:41:30 am »
Your cleaning regimen is similar to mine and suits me fine. When I take a keg off I clean it with hot PBW, and run it through my lines several times during the soak. That is followed with a few passes of hot water, then I follow that with Star San in the same manner. I usually use BLC instead of PBW every 4 or 5 cleanings just to be sure that beer stone doesn't accumulate.

I also agree that warm faucets sound like the most likely culprit of your foamy pours if it's just the first pour where this happens. But in general, you would be better to lengthen your lines to help with foam, rather than shortening them. If you have a higher carbonation in your beer you will get foamy pours if your lines aren't balanced correctly, and the fix is either to lengthen the lines or add some other sort of restriction.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2022, 08:56:49 am »
I disassemble everything every time. It doesn't add too much time. 

I put the keg on a keg washer for 15 minutes or so.  I pull off the gas and liquid connectors with a spark plug wrench.  Sometimes I just spray starsan on it and reassemble but usually I just soak everything really quickly and then rinse with hot water.  Add keg lube to my gaskets, sanitize with star San and pressurize for a seal.  I used to put plastic bags on top with rubber bands.  I need to go back to that.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2022, 08:13:45 am »
Thanks for all who replied.  Sorry for the late response but all input is appreciated.  Probably won't hurt to take the faucet apart next time I clean everything just to inspect the orings and stuff. 

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 08:59:53 am »
I usually CIP my Perlick faucets with hot caustic and run it through the lines and faucets at least three times. I then rinse well with hot water at least three times.  I try to pull the faucets apart at least once a year to check them and they are always clean, no gunk.

BLC (Beer Line Cleaner) is a caustic and also works well.  You can get that at your LHBS or online.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline carngator

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2023, 07:19:30 pm »
Going to be buying my first kegs (sankey) and am looking into how to clean before i buy anything so i know what I'm getting into. Wondering what cleaner abbreviations BLC and PBW stand for? also is a keg cleaner system necessary? plan on starting with one keg then going to 2. thanks

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2023, 04:38:53 am »
I don’t have experience with cleaning Sanke Kegs, but I Suppose you would need to backfill through a Sanke Coupler, perhaps.  Cornies are much less trouble.

BLC - Brewery Line Cleaner

PBW - Percarbonate Brewery Wash

Good luck.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline carngator

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2023, 10:27:12 am »
Okay thanks I’m not set on sankes I’ll look into cornies. Do most people use cornies? Do you need any special equipment for them? Thanks for clarifying the abbreviations. I’ve only done bottling but I think I’m done with that.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2023, 10:51:48 am »
Most of the folks here use cornie kegs (Cornelius style kegs), which use simple quick disconnect fittings (QCD's) for attaching tubing to the keg posts.  They come in ball lock or pin lock styles, but if I were new to it, I would consider using duo-tight connection QCD's and appropriate tubing.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline carngator

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2023, 09:14:23 am »
Okay thanks for the input I appreciate your recommendations.