Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kentucky Common, Louisville, KY  (Read 1339 times)

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
Kentucky Common, Louisville, KY
« on: November 18, 2022, 05:55:59 pm »
Recently visited Louisville, KY where shots of bourbon are on breakfast menus!

Of course, I sought out a Kentucky Common at every brewpub and restaurant we visited. Locally, sometimes this is known as “1920”. No luck. Often told, “We had this on tap last week.”. One server argued with me about the style. Oh, joy…

Did find in cans. “Dreaming Creek Kentucky Common Ale”. Finally, I’m able to taste. Enjoyable. Definitely getting a taste of plums in addition faint berry ester reminding me, somewhat of a British ale. Also tasting, noting malt sweetness, biscuit and toffee.

Overall impression. Enjoyable and one I’d enjoy brewing.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Kentucky Common, Louisville, KY
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 06:36:20 pm »
It reminds me of an English bitter.  If blindfolded with an example of each, I might not be able to tell which was which.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 04:55:26 pm »
I live in western Kentucky and will be visiting Louisville in December so where did you get the Kentucky Common in cans? This beer isn't available where I live.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 03:06:04 pm »
Oh, geez... near a beer/alcohol outlet near a Target & Meijer. 4101 Towne Center Dr. The alcohol outlet actually carded us! I haven't been 21 since I don't remember when...

Let me know your impressions of the Kentucky Common.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2022, 05:01:37 am »
In Louisville now got a can from Fall City Brewery I'll drink it tonight and see how it tastes.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2022, 12:00:59 pm »
Recently visited Louisville, KY where shots of bourbon are on breakfast menus!

Of course, I sought out a Kentucky Common at every brewpub and restaurant we visited. Locally, sometimes this is known as “1920”. No luck. Often told, “We had this on tap last week.”. One server argued with me about the style. Oh, joy…

Did find in cans. “Dreaming Creek Kentucky Common Ale”. Finally, I’m able to taste. Enjoyable. Definitely getting a taste of plums in addition faint berry ester reminding me, somewhat of a British ale. Also tasting, noting malt sweetness, biscuit and toffee.

Overall impression. Enjoyable and one I’d enjoy brewing.

very cool, not sour? the style isnt intensely on my radar, but very interesting. a large part of my theory on beer drinking is valueing a widely drunk local style.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 02:49:34 pm »
In Louisville now got a can from Fall City Brewery I'll drink it tonight and see how it tastes.

Jeez... one of the breweries we DIDN'T visit while in Louisville! I believe this brewery is near Noble Funk. Is this correct?

Most impressed with the brews we had in Louisville. We will return to Louisville, KY in late August/early September 2023.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 02:50:53 pm »
Believe I read an article in BYO about "Kentucky Comman" and always wanted to try it. IMO, very good.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2022, 08:11:29 am »
The Fall City Brewery Kentucky Common was good for a 4% beer. A little bit thin but would make a nice summer easy drinker.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2022, 02:32:35 pm »
The Fall City Brewery Kentucky Common was good for a 4% beer. A little bit thin but would make a nice summer easy drinker.

I wonder why they made a session version of the Kentucky Common?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2022, 03:34:46 pm »

I wonder why they made a session version of the Kentucky Common?

Probably because at 4-5% ABV, it's a sessionable style historically.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Jefferson Coastal

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 06:40:35 pm »
I was at Against the Grain Brewing in August 2022.  They had a beer called LOCAL OPTION KY COMMON on tap at the time.  Not sure if it was a one off or?