Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Yeast  (Read 2293 times)

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Belgian Yeast
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2022, 08:09:45 pm »
I have been happy with WLP530 and WLP400, used those many times, they are great.

Currently I am trying out BE-256, seems good so far from what I am sniffing but I'll know more in a few more weeks.

I've been meaning to try WLP550, as some enthusiasts say it is the most Belgiany Belgian yeast there is.  Someday I will find out.

I have also used BE-256.  I use it to finish off my tripel when 3522 peters out.  3522 really slows down and adding the BE-256 helps get the FG down to where I want it.  I like the flavors the two impart to the beer.  Just my 0.02

i liked WLP550, it had unique raspberry/berry esters and lots of spice, pretty good holding up the maltiness. i thought it was very good, but not my favourite. expected strong attenuation is accurate.

BE-256 can end up with a lot of hot alcohols, i only used it once, mixed with bry97 but it was just such an unexpectedly hot/ethanol tasting beer for so long. i personally would never use it again. it is POF-.

I haven't experienced the hot alcohols with BE-256. I fermented it at 69F during active fermentation. I like the results. What temperature did you ferment at?

i used it in a 1.094 og wort, i believe it did go over 70F, cant remember the details. to clarify, it was very hot and it was overall an okay beer (2xbry97, 1xBE256 - yes i know thats a slight overpitch) if i ever used it again it would be in a lower gravity beer, maybe even just ~1.05 or so. it turned out okay, but yeah it did do its task of getting a high attenuation (86% with 11% dextrose in it)

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2022, 09:21:28 am »
I have accidently solidly frozen Wyeast Belgian yeast packs.
It killed off many of the yeast cells, but not all.
Made step up starters and yeast was fine to use.
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2022, 05:25:42 pm »
I have been happy with WLP530 and WLP400, used those many times, they are great.

Currently I am trying out BE-256, seems good so far from what I am sniffing but I'll know more in a few more weeks.

I have NOT been impressed with Lallemand Abbaye or Fermentis T-58, these are relatively bland and not as good as the others.  And WB-06 is just all-around pretty bad.

I've been meaning to try WLP550, as some enthusiasts say it is the most Belgiany Belgian yeast there is.  Someday I will find out.
I used BE-256 for Belgian Dark Strong Ale last winter and it turned out good. Let us know how the BE-256 worked for you.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2022, 08:21:50 pm »
I used BE-256 for Belgian Dark Strong Ale last winter and it turned out good. Let us know how the BE-256 worked for you.

It's very good.  Fruity and clovy as many Belgians are.  Might be interesting to try with a simple grist of wheat and pilsner malts to see how it might pass as a weizenbier.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2022, 03:15:13 pm »

It's very good.  Fruity and clovy as many Belgians are.  Might be interesting to try with a simple grist of wheat and pilsner malts to see how it might pass as a weizenbier.

it's POF-, i didn't get cloves from it myself. i got marmelade, some stone fruit, jam i believe from it.

if i ever did it again i would do it at a modest gravity

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2022, 04:09:19 pm »

it's POF-, i didn't get cloves from it myself. i got marmelade, some stone fruit, jam i believe from it.

Oh yeah!  You may be right.  My BE-256 batch got stuck at 50% attenuation, so I ended up adding Belle Saison to get it to finish.  I might be getting the clove from the Belle.  At any rate, this is one of the better beers I've made in recent history.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2022, 07:43:35 pm »

Oh yeah!  You may be right.  My BE-256 batch got stuck at 50% attenuation, so I ended up adding Belle Saison to get it to finish.  I might be getting the clove from the Belle.  At any rate, this is one of the better beers I've made in recent history.

thats interesting because the one thing i heard about and imho can confirm at least for me was that BE256 was an absolute killer. i ended up with 86% attenuation in a 1.094 og beer. fermentation seemed very fast and it ended up super hot IMHO, but yeah.

ive heard really good things about belle saison tastewise but i still try to avoid any diastaticus potential yeast.

i will say, i remember the days when T-58 was seen as the legitimate belgian dry yeast choice, now we've got l'abbaye and BE256 and i assume the lal wit could probably be played with to get something

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2022, 08:09:29 am »

thats interesting because the one thing i heard about and imho can confirm at least for me was that BE256 was an absolute killer. i ended up with 86% attenuation in a 1.094 og beer. fermentation seemed very fast and it ended up super hot IMHO, but yeah.

ive heard really good things about belle saison tastewise but i still try to avoid any diastaticus potential yeast.

i will say, i remember the days when T-58 was seen as the legitimate belgian dry yeast choice, now we've got l'abbaye and BE256 and i assume the lal wit could probably be played with to get something
Hmm, a POF- Belgian dry yeast with a good flavor profile? I might have to try it in a bitter or Whitbread IPA recipe, that sounds tasty. I haven't really experimented with many dry Belgian strains since these newer ones have been released, but it sounds like I need to give some a shot.

I've brewed dozens of batches with Belle Saison/WY3711 and WY3864 (another diastaticus strain) over the years, in HDPE buckets, PET carboys and stainless kegs. My cleaning regimen is just hot PBW followed by Star San. I often follow these beers with clean lagers in the same fermenter, and I've never had an overattenuated batch, bottle bombs, gushers, unwanted flavors, etc. in any subsequent batches. Diastaticus is not the boogeyman.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2022, 08:34:16 am »

Hmm, a POF- Belgian dry yeast with a good flavor profile? I might have to try it in a bitter or Whitbread IPA recipe, that sounds tasty. I haven't really experimented with many dry Belgian strains since these newer ones have been released, but it sounds like I need to give some a shot.

I've brewed dozens of batches with Belle Saison/WY3711 and WY3864 (another diastaticus strain) over the years, in HDPE buckets, PET carboys and stainless kegs. My cleaning regimen is just hot PBW followed by Star San. I often follow these beers with clean lagers in the same fermenter, and I've never had an overattenuated batch, bottle bombs, gushers, unwanted flavors, etc. in any subsequent batches. Diastaticus is not the boogeyman.
I wouldn't have a problem with Diastaticus if I kegged, but since I bottle condition, I wouldn't use any Diastaticus yeast. I've seen reports indicating that there is no safe level for it in subsequent batches - even a single cell can be a problem. Even though it's probably ok, I see it as a safety issue, so I don't take the chance.