Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What Went Wrong.  (Read 1055 times)

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
What Went Wrong.
« on: November 19, 2022, 11:55:35 am »
I recently brewed an American IPA.  My brew day went very well and I hit all my numbers.  After fermentation, I transferred to a clearing vessel (big mouth bubbler) and added my dry hops.  I used 3 oz. Of Challenger UK (5.3 alpha, 4.9 beta) for 10 days.  The result was/is nothing.  This beer, while tasty, has as close to zero nose as one could get after dry hop.  It’s very disappointing. What did I do wrong?

The beer temperature during dry hop was about 65°, steady.  The FG was about 1.020.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: What Went Wrong.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 01:09:30 pm »
Recent research has shown that hops start reabsorbing oils after 72 hours. So going 10 days is far too long.

http://scottjanish.com/a-case-for-short-and-cool-dry-hopping/
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 01:33:06 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 06:50:58 am »
Recent research has shown that hops start reabsorbing oils after 72 hours. So going 10 days is far too long.

http://scottjanish.com/a-case-for-short-and-cool-dry-hopping/

That is a great article Denny.  Thank you for sharing!  Another great learning experience.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 08:10:32 pm »
In my experience, Challenger isn't a hop that is loaded with flavor/aroma. I used to use it a lot, and I found it gave a subtle chai tea character. It's delicious when paired with EKG, but I don't know if I'd expect a lot from it in dry hops.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 07:11:40 am »
In my experience, Challenger isn't a hop that is loaded with flavor/aroma. I used to use it a lot, and I found it gave a subtle chai tea character. It's delicious when paired with EKG, but I don't know if I'd expect a lot from it in dry hops.

That’s great information to know.  Thank you.  Seems the wrong hop kept in the beer for too long results in nothing more an effort in futility.
Joliet, IL

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 07:22:15 am »
I recently brewed an American IPA.  My brew day went very well and I hit all my numbers.  After fermentation, I transferred to a clearing vessel (big mouth bubbler) and added my dry hops.  I used 3 oz. Of Challenger UK (5.3 alpha, 4.9 beta) for 10 days.  The result was/is nothing.  This beer, while tasty, has as close to zero nose as one could get after dry hop.  It’s very disappointing. What did I do wrong?

The beer temperature during dry hop was about 65°, steady.  The FG was about 1.020.

I big problem can also be oxidation. No need top use a "cleaning vessel". Oxidized beer has a tendency to destroy hop flavor and aroma. Dry hopping is usually best done in the primary fermenter, then packaged.

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 08:52:27 am »
Did the Challenger hops seem fresh?  Older or mishandled hops might not give you the punch you want.  I learned that when you order hops, you really need to get them from a source that respects the hops... Yakima Chief Hops, Yakima Valley Hops, Hop Heaven, etc.  I have been burned by "homebrew supply" hops more times than I care to say.  Also, the way you store your hops matters.  If you open a bag and put the remainder in the freezer, get a vac-sealer.  I think the one I have was $30-something dollars on Amazon.  Seal them back up and put them back in the freezer.  This is especially true for hops you want to use for dry hopping.  They need to be at (or close to) their peak if you want that character in the beer. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 07:41:09 am »
^^^^^

All very good points to consider.  Thanks, all, for your input!
Joliet, IL

Offline wranglier

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 01:46:17 pm »
I wonder what the logistics are regarding a shorter dry hop; start the dry hop near the end of fermentation?

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 07:02:24 am »
I wonder what the logistics are regarding a shorter dry hop; start the dry hop near the end of fermentation?

Denny posted a link (above) that explains this subject.
Joliet, IL

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2022, 08:06:12 am »

I do it post fermentation after cold crashing. The shorter time is due to the fact that hops start to reabsorb the oils they've released after 48 hiurs.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2022, 08:18:35 am »
That is a great article by Scott Janish.  Thanks, Denny, for that reference.  It shows how much of the pro and homebrewer understanding of things has advanced over recent years.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2022, 09:25:48 am »
That is a great article by Scott Janish.  Thanks, Denny, for that reference.  It shows how much of the pro and homebrewer understanding of things has advanced over recent years.

Indeed. Although it often seems to be a problem getting people to give up their ingrained ideas and accept something new.

www.dennybrew.com

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2022, 01:26:31 pm »
I'm not much of a dry-hopper but this information from Denny and some others was a surprise to me.  You might think that the longer the hops had contact with the beer, the better your dry-hop character would be.  I know many people who put bags of hops in the keg and they stay there until the keg is empty.  So when I *do* make a dry-hopped pale ale (which will happen over this winter), I'll add them post-fermentation in a muslin bag for 48-72 hours and then transfer to a keg.  We can all appreciate the little details that make our hobby better. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What Went Wrong.
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2022, 01:32:27 pm »
More along these lines for me:

… Dry hopping is usually best done in the primary fermenter, then packaged.

I don’t dry hop that often but when I do I add them during active fermentation ~2-3 days before packaging.

…  We can all appreciate the little details that make our hobby better.

+1
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 01:38:38 pm by BrewBama »