Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Turning keggles into planters  (Read 611 times)

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
Turning keggles into planters
« on: November 19, 2022, 01:40:12 pm »
I have accumulated so much brew crap over 20+ years of this hobby.  My 3 keggles have not been used in years since I got my mash and boil.  I will be using them as planters and if I ever need them, I will clean em up and brew with them again. They are heavy and I have 4 other 10 gallon kettles.  Where did all of this stuff come from? I also have 4 immersion chillers but use a plate chiller.

Have any of you done a major clean up?  I hate selling crap on craigslist or any of those.

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
Re: Turning keggles into planters
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 01:40:49 pm »
I'm a brew hoarder!!!!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 04:24:45 pm »
Sounds familiar. I've got a complete 14-gallon recirculating BIAB system and a 3-vessel system w/10-gallon MLT & BK. Add to that an extra IC, assorted fermenters, a 2-gallon MLT for partial mash/small batch, a ton of hardware and extra parts that I haven't used in ages. Keep telling my wife that I'll get it cleaned, sorted out and find some buyers. If I weren't going to be cremated, she'd probably bury it all with me :)
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 05:07:24 pm »
Sounds familiar. I've got a complete 14-gallon recirculating BIAB system and a 3-vessel system w/10-gallon MLT & BK. Add to that an extra IC, assorted fermenters, a 2-gallon MLT for partial mash/small batch, a ton of hardware and extra parts that I haven't used in ages. Keep telling my wife that I'll get it cleaned, sorted out and find some buyers. If I weren't going to be cremated, she'd probably bury it all with me :)

That's funny man.  I am not alone. I was hoping you had reached a solution!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Turning keggles into planters
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 06:23:49 am »
I though I was bad. I call it the old brewery grave yard. A Kettle, HLT, 2x immersion chillers, carboys, a propane burner, RIMS tube, MLT, etc…

I listed the burner and RIMS with the local HomeBrew club but no takers. I don’t want to ship so here they sit.

I hate to throw stuff away because I might be able to use it somewhere. For example, I use one old MLT to store bags of grain in. It fits perfectly on the bottom shelf of the brew stand.

This is my best reuse project: I had two filter housings from some past ‘gotta have it’ process long since abandoned. I made a Randal out of one and used it for a short while. …but recently, I cobbled them together, added sediment and carbon block elements, used a few fitting and ball valves I had laying around, picked up an RO housing and element, and now have an RO water line plumbed to the kettle. I use the RO water daily in the coffee maker, ice tea maker, tabletop ice maker, humidifier, etc. …and of course for brewing.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 06:39:37 am by BrewBama »