Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hallertauer hops?  (Read 2618 times)

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
Hallertauer hops?
« on: November 20, 2022, 01:14:47 pm »
A number of my favorite recipes I've brewed over the years call for Hallertauer (Hallertau) hops.

Guess I missed something or was sleeping ;-) as, apparently, the names have changed.

What are today's equivalent Hallertauer hops? Hallertau Tradition?

If not, then what is the current name of the Hallertauer hops?

Thanks.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Hallertauer hops?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 01:47:10 pm »
Hallertau is simply the area where the hops are grown.  Hallertauer refers to things grown there.  There are various types of hops grown in Hallertau.  Mittelfruh, Tradition and Magnum are 3 of the best known.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 01:51:10 pm »
Denny,
 Yes, I understand the name is the region, but in the past the recipes simply called for "Hallertauer" or "Hallertau". Now, we have different hop names.

What are the current equivalents for "Hallertauer" or "Hallertau"? Hallerertauer Mittlefrueth?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 02:24:30 pm »
Denny,
 Yes, I understand the name is the region, but in the past the recipes simply called for "Hallertauer" or "Hallertau". Now, we have different hop names.

What are the current equivalents for "Hallertauer" or "Hallertau"? Hallerertauer Mittlefrueth?

Yeah, either Mittelfruh or Tradition.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 05:25:30 pm »
I learned long ago that if I wanted Hallertau Mittelfrüh i needed to oder Hallertau Mittelfrüh. Those hops sold as Hallertau hops are what is left over. Floor sweepings as far as I'm concerned.

A recipe that just says Hallertau is lazy recipe writting.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Fire Rooster

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 03:23:42 am »
fyi
https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/fpSrUptcco/

I recently ordered 2022 Mt Hood dried whole cone from -
https://yakimavalleyhops.com/

Mt Hood
"Bred in 1983 and released from the USDA breeding program in Oregon in 1989, Mt.
Hood is a triploid aroma-type cultivar with similarities to German Hallertau and German
Hersbrucker. It is named after the famous Oregon volcano."

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 03:48:07 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 05:03:16 am »
A number of my favorite recipes I've brewed over the years call for Hallertauer (Hallertau) hops.

Guess I missed something or was sleeping ;-) as, apparently, the names have changed.

Ditto!  This is brand new news to me.

So I wonder WTF kind I have been growing in my backyard for 15 years.  No way of knowing I guess.   :P

Certainly there must be some formal article(s) out there about this.  Whoever knows, please share.

A recipe that just says Hallertau is lazy recipe writting.

This irks the hell out of me.  It seems that what really happened is that tens of millions of brewers have been left in the dark for however long as this "fact" has been known by a few.

As far as I have known, my understanding was that there was the original hop known as Hallertauer Hallertau, and all the others were derivatives of either that one or Mittelfrueh.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 05:14:26 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 07:58:01 am »
A good reason to switch to Tettnang Tettnanger.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 08:44:10 am »
fyi

Mt Hood
"Bred in 1983 and released from the USDA breeding program in Oregon in 1989, Mt.
Hood is a triploid aroma-type cultivar with similarities to German Hallertau and German

Cheers

It's not the same, but it's a good sub

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 09:10:33 am »
I was unaware of this, as well.  I have been brewing with Magnum (FWH for bittering) and Mittelfruh (late boil) in my lagers for years.  I always thought that the regular Hallertauer hops were simply lower AA, so I used Magnum and Mittelfruh to use less vegetation in the wort.

I guess you can always learn something new about brewing - even when it might have been there all along right under your nose.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 09:18:45 am »
Schönram uses Tettnang Mittelfrüh.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 10:23:26 am »
fyi

Mt Hood

Cheers

Mt. Hood is one of the hops I grow at home. I like them a lot for their noble-like quality. I wouldn't pass them off as any Hallertau variety to either a German beer purist or in a competition in a German style. The flavor is a little more assertive and they are higher alpha which can result in changes if used for bittering. I use them in my lagers and Belgian beers and I've never had anybody remark on the hop feeling out of place. Then again the number of people who could pick out Mt. Hood these days are probably few and far between.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Fire Rooster

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2022, 02:10:05 pm »
fyi

Mt Hood

Cheers

Mt. Hood is one of the hops I grow at home. I like them a lot for their noble-like quality. I wouldn't pass them off as any Hallertau variety to either a German beer purist or in a competition in a German style. The flavor is a little more assertive and they are higher alpha which can result in changes if used for bittering. I use them in my lagers and Belgian beers and I've never had anybody remark on the hop feeling out of place. Then again the number of people who could pick out Mt. Hood these days are probably few and far between.

Used up a pound of 2021 Mt Hood dried cone, from late last year to early this year.
I order 2 lbs of the current (2022) years fall harvest dried leaf,  which takes me from fall harvest to next years.
From this years fall harvest I have 1 lb Mt Hood, and 1 lb Tettnanger.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 02:13:38 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 04:19:56 pm »
Another vote for going the extra step and ordering Mittelfrüh. The difference between it and Tradition is light years.

Nothing against Mount Hood, I've used them many times....but the spicy character of fresh Mittelfrüh hops can't be beat. I really like the Mittelfrüh pellets from William's.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2022, 06:08:56 pm »

What are today's equivalent Hallertauer hops? Hallertau Tradition?

If not, then what is the current name of the Hallertauer hops?

Thanks.

Rather than the names have "changed" it's quite possible that the recipe is just really old. I remember back in the 90's most recipes used "Hallertau" as a generic name for Mittlefruh, etc.