Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malted corn  (Read 3178 times)

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Malted corn
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2022, 08:54:44 am »
All very interesting! Maybe I should stick to the corn grits and cereal mash.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2022, 09:55:33 am »

It depends on what you want. If you want more of a trad corn flavor, the grits are the way to go.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2022, 10:12:04 am »

It depends on what you want. If you want more of a trad corn flavor, the grits are the way to go.

My opion is that it is a fresher flavor. Flakers are heated by the rollers, then they set at the LHBS, then they get mashed, so heated twice.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2022, 10:38:34 am »
Denny and Drew mentioned using it in a Cream Ale, I believe.  Denny can chime in - I don't recall any cereal mashing, I think it is mashed like any barley malt....

Yeah, it's malted, right?  So no cereal mashing necessary.  Drew used it to make a cream ale and it was...interesting.  I don't know if I'd recognize it as a cream ale. Very unique flavor, unlike any corn beer I've ever tasted. My takeaway was don't think you can just sub it for corn, because it's so different.

I would definitely imagine the malting would change its character. Seems like it would make an interesting candidate for whiskey distillation. That said, usually when there is an uncommon brewing ingredient like this there is a reason why it hasn't become popular. IOW it has been tried before.
I wonder if this is why there have been reports of malted Bloody Butcher tasting different than flaked corn, rather than primarily being due to the varietal. I have a few pounds of malted BB that I'll be using soon, so I'll be interested to see what the flavor difference turns out to be.

That's exactly my thinking.  Malted produces a malted flavor, right?  Think of barley malt as opposed to flaked barley.  Very different, just like BB is very different than flaked corn.  That's why I think it isn't a replacement for flaked corn, but needs its own recipes.  The cream ale Drew made with it tasted nothing like a cream ale.

And of course Bloody Butcher may not taste the same as another maltster Corn Malt, and Corn Malt shouldn’t be assumed to be a 1:1 replacement for flaked corn, nor can we assume it plays the same with other malts and adjuncts and hops…

Probably a good start would be 10% to see what it brings, then adjust the dial as needed.  There certainly can be a place in the homebrewer’s brewhouse for the clean sweetness of malted corn if one is willing to tackle the learning curve.
I usually use 20-30% when I use flaked corn in lagers. I'll probably use the same amount when I first try out BB and see what happens.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2022, 11:11:45 am »
Denny and Drew mentioned using it in a Cream Ale, I believe.  Denny can chime in - I don't recall any cereal mashing, I think it is mashed like any barley malt....

Yeah, it's malted, right?  So no cereal mashing necessary.  Drew used it to make a cream ale and it was...interesting.  I don't know if I'd recognize it as a cream ale. Very unique flavor, unlike any corn beer I've ever tasted. My takeaway was don't think you can just sub it for corn, because it's so different.

I would definitely imagine the malting would change its character. Seems like it would make an interesting candidate for whiskey distillation. That said, usually when there is an uncommon brewing ingredient like this there is a reason why it hasn't become popular. IOW it has been tried before.
I wonder if this is why there have been reports of malted Bloody Butcher tasting different than flaked corn, rather than primarily being due to the varietal. I have a few pounds of malted BB that I'll be using soon, so I'll be interested to see what the flavor difference turns out to be.

That's exactly my thinking.  Malted produces a malted flavor, right?  Think of barley malt as opposed to flaked barley.  Very different, just like BB is very different than flaked corn.  That's why I think it isn't a replacement for flaked corn, but needs its own recipes.  The cream ale Drew made with it tasted nothing like a cream ale.

And of course Bloody Butcher may not taste the same as another maltster Corn Malt, and Corn Malt shouldn’t be assumed to be a 1:1 replacement for flaked corn, nor can we assume it plays the same with other malts and adjuncts and hops…

Probably a good start would be 10% to see what it brings, then adjust the dial as needed.  There certainly can be a place in the homebrewer’s brewhouse for the clean sweetness of malted corn if one is willing to tackle the learning curve.
I usually use 20-30% when I use flaked corn in lagers. I'll probably use the same amount when I first try out BB and see what happens.

I love the idea of Corn Malt in an American Lager.  I would definitely be interested to hear how you get on with it, whenever you try it out.

Just one data point.  The craft maltster that I buy most of my grains from puts a recommended brewing usage on their Corn Malt at <20% (<51% for distilling).

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2022, 01:09:18 pm »
I've brewed 3 batches of beer with Sugar Creek Malted corn this year:
1) 3.5 gallons:73% 2Row Malt and 17% Sugar Creek Bloody Butcher red malted corn.
2) 5.3 gallons: 75% 2Row Malt and 25% Sugar Creek Amanda white malted corn.
3) 5.3 gallons: 75% 2Row Malt and 25% Sugar Creek Bloody Butcher red malted corn.
All of these beers used Magnum hops for bittering and Willamette at 10 minutes and at flameout. For about 20 IBU's from Beer Smith software.
All of these beers used Lallemand BRY-97 dry yeast.

in my experience they don't taste like a traditional Cream Ale like Little Kings or Spotted Cow. In my opinion you don't get the sweetness like a traditional cream ale. That doesn't make the better or worse just different. It was interesting that everyone that tasted the beers like the #3 beer with 25% red corn and said they could drink it all day long. I liked it but I got a what I thought was a little astringent flavor on the finish. It was not awful by any means. I didn't note it on the 1st brew with 8% less red corn in the recipe. I think my favorite was the white corn I would say I cold drink several pints of it. I need to drink them side by side for comparison. I also liked #1 and could drink several pints of it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 01:12:13 pm by purduekenn »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2022, 07:16:49 am »
I'm just coming to a boil on my first brew using Bloody Butcher malted corn. The recipe is essentially my Märzen recipe, but instead of my usual 5-7% CaraMunich, I'm using 20% malted corn.

When I tasted the grains before milling I got a better idea of why this doesn't taste like flaked corn or grits. There wasn't any sweet corn flavor; it was more like cornmeal. More importantly,  there is a definite toastiness like a kilned malt. Not only is this malted, but it has to be kilned afterwards to stop the germination. I tasted it side by side with Pils, Vienna and Light Munich, and it seemed in between Vienna and Munich (but closer to Vienna) in its toast character.

I'm really looking forward to how this beer turns out. I'm not sure what place this has in my brewing toolbox yet, but it seems like it might be a way to lighten the body of the beer without lightening the flavor or adding sweetness. It might be a decent fit in a Saison or even a WC IPA/DIPA.
Eric B.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2022, 03:37:24 pm »
I'm just coming to a boil on my first brew using Bloody Butcher malted corn. The recipe is essentially my Märzen recipe, but instead of my usual 5-7% CaraMunich, I'm using 20% malted corn.

When I tasted the grains before milling I got a better idea of why this doesn't taste like flaked corn or grits. There wasn't any sweet corn flavor; it was more like cornmeal. More importantly,  there is a definite toastiness like a kilned malt. Not only is this malted, but it has to be kilned afterwards to stop the germination. I tasted it side by side with Pils, Vienna and Light Munich, and it seemed in between Vienna and Munich (but closer to Vienna) in its toast character.

I'm really looking forward to how this beer turns out. I'm not sure what place this has in my brewing toolbox yet, but it seems like it might be a way to lighten the body of the beer without lightening the flavor or adding sweetness. It might be a decent fit in a Saison or even a WC IPA/DIPA.
Let us know how it turned out.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2022, 10:33:11 am »

Let us know how it turned out.

The beer turned out good. It may be me finding what I'm looking for, but I pick up the corn in the background in this. It reminds me a bit of grits or corn tortilla's, where flaked corn in this amount typically tastes more like sweet corn to me. It's not an off taste and it blends into the beer just fine, but it doesn't really add much, either. I'm honestly not too sure where this fits in my brewing toolkit just yet (and it may not at all, to be honest). When I use a lot of corn in a recipe, I'm generally looking for that sweet corn kind of flavor.

I have a fair amount still, and I may try it in something like a Blonde Ale or a Saison in the spring/summer.
Eric B.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2022, 06:25:09 pm »

Glad it turned out 🍻
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2022, 08:07:55 am »

What would you use it in?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2022, 08:52:28 am »

Truthfully, I wouldn't. Nothing comes to mind where I would like the flavor. Just personal preference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2022, 08:24:46 am »

Truthfully, I wouldn't. Nothing comes to mind where I would like the flavor. Just personal preference.
I'll put it way down the list of things to try.
I just got some Sugar Creek malt, Crazy Horse hops, and local wildflower honey to brew an all Indiana beer.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women