Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Scored big-time!  (Read 2179 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Scored big-time!
« on: October 04, 2010, 11:38:47 pm »
There has been a beer-theme at the local Central Market. Tastings. Brewing demonstrations. Food pairings. Lectures by brewers and experts...

All I cared about was the 25% discount on beer sales over $50! I took an opportunity to stock up.  While there were many many choices (esp singles) I made my main focus England.

Delirium Tremens 750ml (finally get to try!)
Gulden Draak 750ml

Then I got two each of all the following:

Bad King John 500ml "A Very English Black ale"

St Petes' Old Style Porter 550ml

These 550ml Samuel Smiths:

Imperial Stout
Taddy Porter
Nutbrown Ale
Tadcaster Organic Best Ale
Old Brewery Pale Ale

Not bad for under $75. Doesn't seem like much but it's taking up a good part of my bottom shelf in the fridge. Will have to work on that. ;)

Drinking a Tadcaster right now. Surprisingly it's fairly bitter, but with malty-sweet caramel tones.

And I totally spaced off the Great Divide Tripel. My punishment is to pay full price...

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Scored big-time!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 11:42:59 pm »
Sweet euge, I think you'll like the Delirium Tremens, it's great stuff.

You can always hold off on the Great Divide Tripel until they offer the sale again . . . or not. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:47:10 pm »
Shoot I gotta try it now! My curiosity is piqued.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 12:13:04 am »
If by "it" you mean the Tremens, I don't recommend popping a 750 of it this late . . . but you know your schedule better than I do :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 12:28:39 am »
If by "it" you mean the Tremens, I don't recommend popping a 750 of it this late . . . but you know your schedule better than I do :)

The Great Divide Tripel!  :D No DT for me tonight. I have some new homebrew to QC. Just tapped the 2.5 I racked last night and force-carbed this AM.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 12:45:26 am »

The Great Divide Tripel!  :D No DT for me tonight. I have some new homebrew to QC. Just tapped the 2.5 I racked last night and force-carbed this AM.

;D

How was the homebrew?  What's 2.5, is that a recipe or a quantity or something else?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 01:04:07 am »
Ahh! A 2.5 gallon corny. I kegged up 12 gallons last night. Instead of racking the excess into PET bottles and carbing it up for tasting it went into the 2.5 which there's room for in the kegerator right now.

It's a Bitter. About 18 SRM and one month old. Gettting some yeast bite, a little harsh alcohol and hop bitterness. A bit rough for being on the cake for nearly 30 days. It'll smooth out.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 01:18:32 am »
Where did you find a 2.5 gallon corny?  I could see that being really useful . . .

I have a 1-gallon corny that is great for test batches :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 01:37:01 pm »
Where did you find a 2.5 gallon corny?  I could see that being really useful . . .

craigslist, ebay, etc. They are expensive, I've only seen one in my area for $100 a few months ago  :(

Protip: use google.com/alerts to help you automatically search stuff on craigslist.

Go to google.com/alerts and in the "Search terms" field, use the following format:

<what you are looking for> site:<city>.craigslist.com

example:
Search for 1967 ford mustang in dallas

1967 ford mustang site:dallas.craigslist.org

You can preview the results using the link next to the search term. Google alerts will email you when craigslist is updated with your search terms  8)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 01:44:21 pm by glitterbug »
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 04:12:41 pm »
Where did you find a 2.5 gallon corny?  I could see that being really useful . . .

Picked up a 2.5 & 3 gallon cornie from AHBS a few years back. I paid a premium for them but they are really useful at times.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 09:00:20 pm »
Went back to the market to get the Great Divide Tripel. They were out or don't carry it. >:(

So to assuage my discontent I got the following 24's &750ml's:

Great Divide's
Yeti Imperial Stout
Hercules Double IPA

Ommegang's
Hennipin
Three Philosophers
Rare VOS
Abbey Ale

Brewery DeLandtSheer's
Malheur 10
Malheur 12

My "research" budget has been exceeded until December-  and maybe next year... Great thing was all this was still 25% off. Last day of the sale.