Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pleasant Surprise  (Read 824 times)

Offline MagicRat

• Cellarman
Pleasant Surprise
« on: November 23, 2022, 04:37:38 pm »
At my father-in-law’s while my wife does some Thanksgiving prep and there’s not a lot of beer. But in the back of the fridge I find a bottle of a blonde ale I brewed about 6 months ago.
It’s delicious and I think, “Doggone it, I’m not too bad at this homebrewing thing sometimes.” ;D

Offline Skeeter686

• Cellarman
Re: Pleasant Surprise
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 05:05:35 pm »
Nice!

I love that feeling.  I've brewed several, myself, where I thought to myself, "Hey!  I brewed this, and it's really good!"

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 07:23:05 pm »
Absolutely. I moved back to this country after 10 years away and found some extremely old batches that I ever brewed in a crawlspace. incredibly oxidized and not good, but I had a sip of each before dumping them lol.

I'm brewing a fair amount of strong beers these days with the intent to keep some around bottled and forget about them. If I do this enough I'll be able to have a lot of different examples of my stuff that I can pull out and mix in.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 09:04:23 pm »
An opportunity to share and point out the merits of homebrew!

Fire Rooster

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 03:32:30 am »
Something magical happens to all my bottled brews after being cold for months.
I know what you mean proud/surprised, I brewed this ?
I have a current batch I'd swear would snag a medal, but would
probably enter it in the wrong category and get slammed.

Cheers

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 07:24:23 am »
...in the back of the fridge I find a bottle of a blonde ale I brewed about 6 months ago.
It’s delicious and I think, “Doggone it, I’m not too bad at this homebrewing thing sometimes.” ;D

I wish this happened to me more often.  I've been brewing for 23 years now, and I'm pretty certain that the more I've learned, I've become a WORSE brewer.  It's weird.  Or maybe I'm just that much more self-critical than I used to be.  Perhaps that is more likely.  I haven't been super happy with many of my beers over the past few years.  Some have been reasonably good, most not.  I have like the opposite of the Midas touch.  :(
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 08:33:44 am »
...in the back of the fridge I find a bottle of a blonde ale I brewed about 6 months ago.

I wish this happened to me more often.  I've been brewing for 23 years now, and I'm pretty certain that the more I've learned, I've become a WORSE brewer.  It's weird.  Or maybe I'm just that much more self-critical than I used to be.  Perhaps that is more likely.  I haven't been super happy with many of my beers over the past few years.  Some have been reasonably good, most not.  I have like the opposite of the Midas touch.  :(
My first brew was a can of hopped LME and a bunch of sugar. I thought it was great - had been drinking American macro beer. In reality, it probably would have scored a 1 in competition, but my standards and knowlege weren't that high. So I agree - way more likely that you're more self critical. The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 09:13:59 am »

Dave, I've been brewing even longer than you have and I know exactly what you mean. I see one of the biggest problems facing homebrewers as too much information with no context. We jump from one thing to another without a full understanding of the effects on other parts of our process. That's why I'm an advocate of trusting experience and not trying to fix issues that don't exist just because someone said it's a problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 11:30:41 am »
I agree Denny. I think simplicity and/or getting back to the basics is what I’ve learned over the years to help my beers be the best they can be.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2022, 11:49:03 am »
I agree Denny. I think simplicity and/or getting back to the basics is what I’ve learned over the years to help my beers be the best they can be.

Dwain, I know what you do works for you and you enjoy it.  That's great. But from my point of view it's not simple.  But that's me.  I'm not brewing your beer! The point being is that we all need to pay attention and do what ever makes us happy, not do it simply because someone said you should.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2022, 02:48:21 pm »
My latest example of "do what ever makes us happy, not do it simply because someone said you should.": I've been reading about warm fermented lagers. I don't have refrigeration, so I tried it. I think it makes a pseudo lager - not quite right, but a good beer. The folks at the homebrew club give me some funny looks, but that's ok. Brew how you like.

Offline BrewBama

Pleasant Surprise
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2022, 05:36:20 am »

Dwain, I know what you do works for you and you enjoy it.  That's great. But from my point of view it's not simple.  But that's me.  I'm not brewing your beer! The point being is that we all need to pay attention and do what ever makes us happy, not do it simply because someone said you should.

Spot on.

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. I am not paid or sponsored by anyone. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2022, 07:24:17 am »

Yes, simple is in the eye of the brewer. The key to enjoying brewing as a hobby is finding ways to emphasize the parts you enjoy and minimize the parts you don't. That looks different for everyone. I'm glad I did a lot of experimentation over the years so I could learn where to streamline things in my processes to end up with brewdays and beer that I enjoy.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer