Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Eye Strain  (Read 653 times)

Offline Joe Mester

• 1st Kit
Eye Strain
« on: March 13, 2023, 08:29:23 pm »
I really enjoy reading Zymurgy magazine (print copy), but lately have been having a hard time reading the text.  It seems very small (font size) and crowded, and often lacks contrast with the backing coloration.  This has become increasingly frustrating.  Anyone else want to (even slightly) increase the font size and text spacing, and improve the contrast with the backing page color, to make the text easier to read?  I like the big pictures that go with all the articles, but perhaps we could reduce the picture size to make more space for the text?  And not use pictures as backing for the text, which causes lots of variation in contrast?  The articles generally pack in a lot of content, and larger text (and more spacing and contrast) would make that content more accessible.  Thanks for your consideration.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Eye Strain
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 09:57:02 pm »
My vision is excellent after cataract surgery, but I still have the problem you describe unless the lighting is very good. Although the standard font is quite small, the problem I'm having is definitely with contrast. A combination of font size and the gray scale, I'm sure, is problematic for many folks. The ads are just fine. Go figure.
C'mon powers that be. Please pony up a few more bucks for ink and maybe even a bit larger font and put out a readable magazine.

BTW Joe, I 've gone to reading the PDF version almost exclusively. It really helps to be able to adjust the brightness and magnification. Inconvenient sometimes, I know, but much easier on your eyes.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 08:32:37 am »
Thanks for the feedback, Bob and Joe. I will pass this info on to the Zymurgy magazine team.

BTW Joe, I 've gone to reading the PDF version almost exclusively. It really helps to be able to adjust the brightness and magnification.

There is also a "plain text"-style version of the digital edition of the magazine that might be worth trying. When you're on a Zymurgy Online digital edition of an issue, hover over the menu icon on the top left of the issue screen and select "Contents View." Use the same process to switch back, but select "Page View."

Screenshot of Contents View in the menu:
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline DSNORD

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 11:09:12 am »
Duncan,

I ABSOLUTELY agree with Bob and Joe regarding the EXTREMELY POOR READABILITY of Zymurgy print magazine, and because of that, I am very likely NOT to renew my AHA membership at the end of this month when it expires. Every one of their points is real and makes me throw the magazine across the room in disgust as I get a headache trying to read it.

BYO and CBBM magazines DO NOT have any of these graphic problems. It's unclear to me why Zymurgy has to be the outcast. And the answer is NOT "Well, just download it to read on a computer or iPad."

No folks, I'm NOT interested in being tied to "Satan's Rectangle" any more than I have to be. I get print magazines so I can read them wherever and whenever I want without having to haul around a bunch of electronic crap and potentially be tethered to a wall outlet.

BYO/CBBM magazines and memberships both give me enormous value, and I'd say 95% of each print issue is valuable to me.

Zymurgy print magazine is the only reason I maintain an AHA membership. Unlike the competition, I'm NOT interested in about 3/4 of each issue, but the remaining 1/4 has given me just enough value to keep up my membership. However, since I can't read that 1/4 any more, there's really no point in me sticking around much longer unless things soon change BIGLY for the better.

Please fly this up the administrative flagpole to as high a level as possible. I know I'm only one guy who is irrelevant to your organization, but I have to believe there are a lot of other "Bob and Joes" out there having the same problem besides us three posting here. We aren't all 22 years old with eagle eyesight.

Oh, and one last HUGE TURNOFF: If I had to wade through 3 CAPTCHAs to even get to this thread, why the heck do I have to wade through 4 MORE in order to post this request? Are you purposely trying to lose business to the competition??????

Scott