Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Celly Drippings  (Read 736 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Celly Drippings
« on: December 01, 2022, 08:23:01 pm »
I was alerted that Sierra Nevada in Mills River was releasing Celly Drippings this week. Basically it is the sacks of hops from the Celebration Ale fermenter which are hung and allowed to drain. That beer is collected and kegged for release. I think someone said there were 7 bbl collected this year in MR. So I went expecting a hop bomb and that wasn't the case at all. Side by side with Celebration the drippings were lighter in color and more hazy. The aroma was quite nice, but the flavor was more muted and malty than Celebration. It was interesting, but personally I'd rather have a pint of Celebration than the drippings.

They also released the Christmas Jam IPA this week. The Christmas Jam is a concert and typically a local brewery brews the beer. I think SN brewed it the last time they had the concert, but Covid stopped the concert for a few years. This year's beer is 6.2% ABV and is a lovely dank IPA. If you happen to get a chance to visit SN in NC in the near future you should definitely give that one a whirl if you like dank IPAs.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Jason

• 1st Kit
Re: Celly Drippings
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 11:58:05 am »
I was lucky enough to get the Celebration Ale this year when it was fresh and it was the best i've ever had of that beer. 

A few years ago I was up at the brewery and did get some of the Celly Drippings.  I agree with your assessment, it's the second runnings but I enjoyed it. 

How did you think the Celebration Ale stacked up against others in years past?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 08:44:17 am »
I was lucky enough to get the Celebration Ale this year when it was fresh and it was the best i've ever had of that beer. 

A few years ago I was up at the brewery and did get some of the Celly D6rippings.  I agree with your assessment, it's the second runnings but I enjoyed it. 

Oh it's not as good as last year!  ;D ;D ;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 10:59:00 am »

A few years ago I was up at the brewery and did get some of the Celly D6rippings.  I agree with your assessment, it's the second runnings but I enjoyed it. 

Well of course not, they changed the recipe  ;D
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 12:26:31 pm »

Well of course not, they changed the recipe  ;D

;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell