Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hate. Perlick. Taps.  (Read 2496 times)

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
Re: Hate. Perlick. Taps.
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2022, 04:48:22 pm »
I use 3 Perlick taps. I get maybe 2 to 3 drips after turning the faucet off. I simply wait a few seconds and the drips go into my beer glass. I then put a small sample type glass under the faucet to catch any additional drips that might happen. No complaints about Perlick from me.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2022, 05:50:29 pm »
There are posts on other forums regarding Perlicks, and their propensity for leaking.
A friend had the same issue. After he cleaned the faucets, the leaks abated.

My problem appears to be solved...for now.

By the way, my Tap-Rite faucets never leaked. I like Tap-Rite, but they will freeze up, or stick, if not exercised daily.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2022, 06:35:53 am »
I like the perlicks.  I have had instances where they have leaked; this is usually when there isn't enough co2 pressure in the line.  Fixable by either upping the co2 (i.e. the system needs a new cylinder) or pulling the liquid line off of the keg.  This is rare.  They never stick.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2022, 06:53:38 am »
Yeah, the sticking faucets is why we went to forward-sealing taps in the first place, amirite?  I remember having two standard faucets on a tower a long time ago and a friend came over and went into the basement to grab a beer.  He came upstairs with an empty glass in his hand and said, "The taps are locked or something".  :D  It wasn't long after that I got the Ventmatics. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2022, 07:40:42 am »
Yeah, the sticking faucets is why we went to forward-sealing taps in the first place, amirite?  I remember having two standard faucets on a tower a long time ago and a friend came over and went into the basement to grab a beer.  He came upstairs with an empty glass in his hand and said, "The taps are locked or something".  :D  It wasn't long after that I got the Ventmatics.

Sticking faucets can be avoided. Just ensure the taps are used daily. That's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2022, 07:47:45 am »
Sticking faucets can be avoided. Just ensure the taps are used daily. That's a tough job, but someone has to do it.
There will always be a day here or there where they're not used.  Maybe you're traveling or whatever.  I hit the taps pretty regularly but there's no way I would have old-school, standard faucets.  No sir. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2022, 09:01:58 am »
There will always be a day here or there where they're not used.  Maybe you're traveling or whatever.  I hit the taps pretty regularly but there's no way I would have old-school, standard faucets.  No sir.

We like all of our faucets, the "old school" and the newer styles. About two dozen in my small collection. From different manufacturers. And they all get used at various times and applications.

Again, the traditional taps have never leaked. Never dripped. And if they do stick, a little warm water poured over them will loosen them up in a second or two.

When I'm on a trip, my wife gets the assignment of exercising the taps. Hmmmm....maybe that is why my beer disappears so fast!

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2022, 12:58:03 pm »
By the way, my Tap-Rite faucets never leaked. I like Tap-Rite, but they will freeze up, or stick, if not exercised daily.

I need to remember this post. Normally, wife asks, "Are you drinking beer?". My reply, "I'm doing research.". If I switch to Tap-Rite faucets then I can tell her the faucets must be exercised daily. Great info!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2022, 02:03:01 pm »

I need to remember this post. Normally, wife asks, "Are you drinking beer?". My reply, "I'm doing research.". If I switch to Tap-Rite faucets then I can tell her the faucets must be exercised daily. Great info!

Yes! It is a fringe benefit. You must work each tap daily. Maybe twice daily. It is part of being a beer brewer, and assuring that your quality control is up to par.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2022, 06:17:53 pm »

Woohoo... best news all day ;-)

Yes! It is a fringe benefit. You must work each tap daily. Maybe twice daily. It is part of being a beer brewer, and assuring that your quality control is up to par.

Offline AdinaIngram

• 1st Kit
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2023, 04:08:30 pm »

We like all of our faucets, the "old school" and the newer styles. About two dozen in my small collection. From different manufacturers. And they all get used at various times and applications.

Again, the traditional taps have never leaked. Never dripped. And if they do stick, a little warm water poured over them will loosen them up in a second or two.

When I'm on a trip, my wife gets the assignment of exercising the taps. Hmmmm....maybe that is why my beer disappears so fast!
Traditional taps never leaked and they are best in my experience too.
I also wanted to add that how traditional tap work:
The water pipe is connected to the bottom. Water is then held in a chamber until required. When you want water all you need to do is turn the handle anticlockwise which unscrews an internal valve and starts the flow of the water.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2023, 01:53:48 pm »
A friend had the same issue. After he cleaned the faucets, the leaks abated.

My problem appears to be solved...for now.

Leak problem solved by cleaning? If so, how long between cleaning?

How long did friend wait between cleanings?

If cleaning fixed the problem, was it mold? If so, good thing the taps were cleaned.