Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: have you ever had an acute experience that messed with your sense of smell?  (Read 686 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
I took over a coworkers work for about 2 weeks which involved visiting a steel foundry repeatedly.

look, sorry but im ahem sensitive about washing my hands and about odours. the smell was a complex mix of burning metal, gases, general pollution, dust etc. diverging from topic, having to wear several types of safety equipment, especially ear plugs is such a weird feeling and the environment of heat, noise, offensive smells gives this instinctive feeling of "you need to leave here now!" at first.

but, i seem to be at least temporarily super sensitive to sulfur and a variety of burned smells since doing this. drinking an imp stout now and i get notes that just make me think of industrial settings, which did not occur before i started this foundry thing.

now you: anyone had any weird or even unfortunate experiences that messed with your sense of smell?

my covid loss of smell ability years ago has cleared up of course

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Anytime I go swimming in a chlorinated pool for any longer than say 10-15 minutes, any food or beverage that I consume for a few hours afterwards tastes bland or off.  The chlorine can really harm your sense of smell, for a good while.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Skeeter686

• Cellarman
I have similar "symptoms" sometimes. 

It happens for a few types of smells and I can't remember all of them but I do know that clearing the horrible smelling black crud out of a clogged drain will do it.  I'll get that smell "stuck" in my nose, and I'll be somewhere that I know there are no open drains, but some vague background smell will make me think that I'm smelling rotting, black drain crud again.

It usually only lasts for a few hours.

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
i was listening to this podcast while driving recently and i believe there are some relevant things related to associating aroma elements with X and all kinds of things like that. it was an entertaining one at least anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMJgimgWmz0

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
As much as I love a good cigar, it ruins my palate and sinuses for about 2 days afterwards. Everything tastes and smells like an ashtray. Strong flavors can overpower it, but something like a pale lager is kinda ruined for me. Those are the days I stick to rum, whiskey, cocktails, etc.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
was listening to randy mosher on his kick of the science of tasting, and he mentioned that when a person is frequently in a certain environment the smell receptors in their nose will adapt to that environment, increasing the number involved in detecting relevant smells while i believe the relatively unused receptors are removed.

so yeah

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
was listening to randy mosher on his kick of the science of tasting, and he mentioned that when a person is frequently in a certain environment the smell receptors in their nose will adapt to that environment, increasing the number involved in detecting relevant smells while i believe the relatively unused receptors are removed.

so yeah

Definitely true. I opened a distillery in the brewery I founded several years ago. I lost a lot of sensitivity to acetone.

I also have a funny story about tasting and smelling a beer post covid that ended up being infected...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Age does it, too. My senseof taste and smell comes and goes. Since I never know when it's gonna happen, I decided I should quit judging. It's not asmuch of a problem assessing my own beers since I'm not under a time limit then.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell