Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Screen, Braid, or Manifold  (Read 5844 times)

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
Screen, Braid, or Manifold
« on: September 26, 2010, 11:59:32 am »
I am planning on building a Mash tun soon and have followed the discussion of Round vs Rectangular. I am going to go rectangular since they seem to be less expensive and easier to use.

The next question is do you prefer a screen, a braid or a manifold. If you use a screen or a braid, do you use a loop or a single "pipe" down the center?

On a side note, what volume would be good? I am doing 5 gal batch and probably won't go much larger for the foreseeable future. I can get a 48 qt cooler for $19.99 or a 70 qt cooler for $36.99.

Thanks,
Dano

edited to correct cooler prices
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:11:40 pm by dano14041 »
Tulsa, OK

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Screen, Braid, or Manifold
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 12:24:53 pm »
Batch sparge and none of the above, screen, braid, manifold, round, or rectangular will matter.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 12:25:03 pm »
I vote for the 70 qt rectangular. Use a braid running down the middle if you plan to batch-sparge.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Matt B

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 12:50:02 pm »
Unless you have the equipment for fly sparging, I agree on the batch sparging and that none of them really matter. My only opinion is that the stainless steel braid never worked for me, it clogged up. And it tended to float through the grain bed as I was stirring.

But what you *do* want to do is make sure that whatever is actually drawing the water out (excluding the braid, manifold, etc) is as close to the bottom as possible, or you will be losing sparging efficiency due to an inch of wort sitting there because the air level met whatever open piece of equipment you're using. Stick a couple of 90 degree copper elbows together if you have to.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 01:04:01 pm »
If you're sure you'll only ever do 5 gallons, I vote for the 48 qt one, that way it will take up less space when stored.  You can easily fit 30 lbs of grain in there, that's plenty for most 5 gallon batches, even when Fred is brewing. :)  
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 01:13:20 pm »
Today I'm brewing my 382nd batch using a braid.  It works so well that I've never considered anything else.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 01:31:33 pm »
What size braid do you use Denny?  How long is it compared to the length of the cooler?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 04:22:46 pm »
IIRC, it's about 3/8" id.  It's just a bit shorter than the length of the cooler, but only because that was the last length I experimented with.  Shorter lengths worked just as well.

http://hbd.org/clubs/cascade/public_html/dennybrew/braid.jpg

http://hbd.org/clubs/cascade/public_html/dennybrew/bung2.jpg
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 04:44:07 pm »
If only there was a website set up with pictures and explanations for what you do and why, and then you could put a link to it in your signature file so people could just go look . . .  ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 05:37:41 pm »
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 06:45:24 pm »
Blue coolers with a braid rule!  ;)
Ron Price

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 07:04:01 pm »
I'm amazed at Denny's 300+ brews with a dinky little ss braid hose--it baffles me how it works so well with batch sparging (i.e., "just open the valves and drain it"). But, I'm still a believer in batch sparging

I have a SS Bazooka braid (12-inch) in an {orange} round 10 gallon cooler (and, yes, I do 10 gallon batches).  Haven't really experienced a quick lauter yet (but, to be fair, I have had the barleycrusher maltmill on an extremely fine crush--narrow mill gap).  My efficiencies have been good, but my lauters have not been quick, let's just say.

My last brew was an american wheat.... the lauter from hell.

I've since set my mill gap back to "normal." I'm still undecided about the SS Bazooka braid.  My next brew day is likely next week.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 05:19:26 am »
Stainless braid attached to copper. Four runs of braid to drains at each end. Overkill? maybe. But never a stuck sparge, never any rice hulls, and I've used lots of wheat and rye! Oh . . and the cooler is blue!  :D

Just brew it...

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 06:28:49 am »
If only there was a website set up with pictures and explanations for what you do and why,

This is the exact setup I have, based on Denny's method:

http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/mashtun.html
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 06:30:25 am »
Today I'm brewing my 382nd batch using a braid.  It works so well that I've never considered anything else.

Denny...in those 382 batches, how many times would you say you've changed out the braid?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------