Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation Chiller Set-Up  (Read 625 times)

Offline engstrom.brian14

• 1st Kit
Fermentation Chiller Set-Up
« on: December 06, 2022, 04:58:37 pm »
Hey Everyone!

I'm looking for assistance in how I can best set myself up for success with a new Fermentation Chiller Set-Up.  I'm brewing 5 gallon batches at the moment, but I have plans to at least brew 10 gallon batches in the near future.  I've got some ideas (creating my own Glycol Chiller, or buying a decent used BrewBuilt/SS Brewtech Glycol Chiller) of the type of chiller, but I also want feedback on where I should put this chiller.

For context, I live in a Townhome in Northern Virginia that doesn't have a Basement or a Garage.  The Townhome does however, have a storage shed (but it's full of crap already  :p ).  Should/can I set up my chiller in the house, or should I set it up outside only?

Thoughts and opinions are welcome!  Let me know if you have additional questions for me.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
  • Submarines once, Submarines Twice....
Re: Fermentation Chiller Set-Up
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 05:10:25 am »
I went the cheap rout and bought a small chest freezer, about 5 or 7 cubic feet. Then I got a simple device from Inkbird that cycles power to the freezer to maintain temperature.
The video linked here shows the setup (this is not me) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLmfWYeKepI
Whole set up was under $200 but only cools. There are many two stage ones that will run heating pads too. We just left NOVA and anything outside will need a heating capacity in the winter more than a cooler.
Majorvices has quite a bit of experience with glycol chillers if you are up to the cost of that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 07:15:41 am »
I have an old refrigerator I bought used 30 yrs ago controlled with a plug n play Auber. When it goes out (if it ever goes out), I plan to get one of those small wine refrigerators with a glass front door and use the same controller. It’s small enough to tuck out of the way yet big enough for my BrewBucket fermenter and a keg.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 11:08:56 am »
If you are looking into ten gallon batches, I would consider which fermenter you want to use.  I have a kegmenter which holds 13.5 gallons or so and it just fits into the Komos type fridge (make sure it is designed to hold a half barrel).

Really there are many ways to get there….
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 05:00:56 am »
Hey Everyone!

I'm looking for assistance in how I can best set myself up for success with a new Fermentation Chiller Set-Up.  I'm brewing 5 gallon batches at the moment, but I have plans to at least brew 10 gallon batches in the near future.  I've got some ideas (creating my own Glycol Chiller, or buying a decent used BrewBuilt/SS Brewtech Glycol Chiller) of the type of chiller, but I also want feedback on where I should put this chiller.

For context, I live in a Townhome in Northern Virginia that doesn't have a Basement or a Garage.  The Townhome does however, have a storage shed (but it's full of crap already  :p ).  Should/can I set up my chiller in the house, or should I set it up outside only?

Thoughts and opinions are welcome!  Let me know if you have additional questions for me.

A point to consider if you choose to put the chiller outdoors:  Assuming the chiller has refrigerant, a compressor, condenser and evaporator, ambient temperature will play a role in the functionality of these components.  Special care must be taken, particularly with the compressor and condenser, when the outdoor temperature drops below 50°.

My suggestion is to consider the equipment you choose to buy and decide how, and when, you will use the equipment.  Then confer with the equipment manufacturer if you choose to put the equipment outdoors.

If you use the above described equipment and choose to set the equipment indoors, the compressor and condenser will produce heat and will require ventilation to dissipate that heat.  In other words, setting the equipment in a closet would be a bad idea.

I hope this information helps.

Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉