Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stout with Lactose  (Read 7392 times)

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
Stout with Lactose
« on: September 25, 2010, 12:33:52 am »
Question... does the addition of lactose cause a higher final gravity?  Lactose is fermentable?  It's not a type of dextrin that can't be digested by yeast, correct?  I made a milk stout with an OG of 1.055.  Currently (after 10 days) it is 1.017.  I'm using WLP 006... the Bedford Ale Yeast.  I would've thought that I would've gotten down to 1.010 at least.  Any thoughts?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Stout with Lactose
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 01:07:47 am »
Still contributes to gravity. Not fermentable.

Hey the 1.017 sounds fine. Don't worry.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 01:18:01 am »
Yeah, what euge said.  Adds to gravity, not fermentable.  It's a disaccharide, a sugar, but yeast don't have the right enzyme to break the bond between the galactose and glucose.  Depending on your recipe, 1.017 is totally reasonable.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 01:27:20 am »
Thanks guys.  I'm getting ready to add about 30 ounces of cherries soaked in Woodford Select Bourbon into the beer when I keg it.  Do you think that will lower the gravity?  Will I need to add 1/3 cup corn sugar for priming?

Offline anthayes

• 1st Kit
    • HayesenBrau
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 01:30:59 am »
That's why lactose is added to a milk stout - to leave some sweetness behind.

Milk stout was patented by Mackeson in 1907 as part of a trend towards sweeter beers, cf Manns Brown Ale invented in 1902.

These days in England a milk stout will have an OG less than 1.040, but an FG above 1.010.

Ant Hayes
Tonbridge, Kent
Soek jy die oerkroeg se bier

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 02:08:27 am »
Thanks guys.  I'm getting ready to add about 30 ounces of cherries soaked in Woodford Select Bourbon into the beer when I keg it.  Do you think that will lower the gravity?  Will I need to add 1/3 cup corn sugar for priming?
I wouldn't do it that way.  I'd add the bourbon soaked cherries to secondary, and keg after a few weeks when the flavor has been melded. then keg with normal amounts of sugar, or just force carbonate it.   Don;t worry about the gravity per se.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 07:20:06 am »
When is lactose normally added?  If it can be added a bottling, it could be an interesting experiment in just how much to add.  That is, bottle a few, add some lactose, bottle a few more, add more lactose, etc. etc.
Joe

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 03:14:51 pm »
I added my lactose at the final 15 minutes of the boil.  I wonder how many gravity points a half pound made to a final wort volume of 6 gallons?  The beer has a nice chocolately taste thus far after 10 days.

Offline anthayes

• 1st Kit
    • HayesenBrau
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 04:28:45 am »
When is lactose normally added?  If it can be added a bottling, it could be an interesting experiment in just how much to add.  That is, bottle a few, add some lactose, bottle a few more, add more lactose, etc. etc.

I prefer to add to the boil, from an infection point of view. I once had a lactic infection which I think came from adding lactose to the bottle (but I could be wrong).

Ant Hayes
Tonbridge, Kent
Soek jy die oerkroeg se bier