Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Jasmine and Green Tea  (Read 5481 times)

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Jasmine and Green Tea
« on: September 27, 2010, 09:38:00 am »
I am thinking of making a Green Tea Pale Ale with Jasmine.  I have had plenty of Green Tea in my day, but have limited experience with adding green tea or jasmine to beer.  I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as a starting point with both ingredients.  I will probably add them both loose leaf as a flame out/WP addition, quite possibly dry hop with one or both of them as well.  Likely a very simple pale ale recipe base with some low additions of NW hops late in the boil.  Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hoser

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Jasmine and Green Tea
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 09:45:59 am »
I've used jasmine rice to make a pale ale, but that's as close as I've gotten.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 09:46:29 am »
try looking up information on Elysian brewing co. Jasmine IPA.  It's quite good with a noticeable jasmine contribution, but I don't know how much they add or when.   :-\

Can't help you much on the green tea... unless you're making ice cream!  Mmmm

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 11:02:30 am »
Check the ph of hot green tea and if it's in the realm for a mash. If it's okay try it as your brewing liquor. Adjust the ph if slightly off.  Some green teas can have a delicate flavor. Others stronger.  I call it "seaweedy."  Might as well eat a sheet of Nori.

Another idea would be to make a couple of pots of green tea, reduce it all down to a pint to concentrate the flavor. If it tastes good use that with your priming sugar, or with out if you force carbonate.

Plausable?
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 11:14:11 am »
Secondary or at racking time would be my choice.

Primarily the hops are my concern. I'm presuming you'll want citrus types such as Amarillo or maybe even Sorachi Ace?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 11:31:25 am »
Secondary or at racking time would be my choice.

Primarily the hops are my concern. I'm presuming you'll want citrus types such as Amarillo or maybe even Sorachi Ace?
I was thinking of using either citra/amarillo and sorachi ace,14g/5gal at 10min and knockout.
I probably will layer the jasmine and green tea by late WP additions and dry hopping.  Just not sure on the amounts and when.

Check the ph of hot green tea and if it's in the realm for a mash. If it's okay try it as your brewing liquor. Adjust the ph if slightly off.  Some green teas can have a delicate flavor. Others stronger.  I call it "seaweedy."  Might as well eat a sheet of Nori.

Another idea would be to make a couple of pots of green tea, reduce it all down to a pint to concentrate the flavor. If it tastes good use that with your priming sugar, or with out if you force carbonate.

Plausable?
I like your ideas Steve, my one concern is that boiling tea, like coffee, is not recommended because it extracts too many tannins.  That being said, mash hopping and first wort hopping, are a similar concept and the opposite of expected result happens would great success.  Boiling it down and reducing it I think may be a bad idea as it would concentrate these tannins.  Could one make an extract with vodka and still retain the aromatics of the green tea and jasmine?  Thanks for all the help guys!

Hoser

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 11:37:07 am »
Would the cold press method that can be used for coffee extraction work with tea?  You could try cold steeping the tea leaves for 24 hours or so and add to the secondary.  No idea if that would work, just a thought.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 01:19:54 pm »
my one concern is that boiling tea, like coffee, is not recommended because it extracts too many tannins. 
Hoser

Cold steeping for a long time to avoiding tanins is good, then concentration.  Steeping in a neutral spirit is also a good bet.  You'd get a better and more sanitary extraction with the latter.
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 01:25:37 pm »
I would throw them in at knockout, because that's how you make tea.  And I'd aim for about a 1/2 gallon's worth of tea for my first try.

There is an advantage to doing a cold steep and dosing later though, since you can control the amount you add and dial it in.  In that case I would essentially make a really strong sun tea, at least 2x strength.  Dose it into samples of the beer from there.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 01:50:56 pm »
I would throw them in at knockout, because that's how you make tea.  And I'd aim for about a 1/2 gallon's worth of tea for my first try.

If you do it that way, I would only keep it in for a few minutes.

Make a cup of tea and leave the bag in for 20 min and see what happens... your tongue will be gasping for air.

I would agree with spirit extraction, and like Tom said, sample with measured doses.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 01:57:38 pm »

If you do it that way, I would only keep it in for a few minutes.

Make a cup of tea and leave the bag in for 20 min and see what happens... your tongue will be gasping for air.
Yeah, I was assuming you start chilling immediately.

Although when I make my tea I leave the bag in the whole time I'm drinking it, I like it that way.  It's not what I'd want in my beer though. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 02:06:10 pm »
Off topic a bit, but has anybody tried the Golden Star White Jasmine tea? Basically it's jasmine tea with bottling sugar and champagne yeasts added at bottling. http://www.yelp.com/topic/san-francisco-golden-star-white-jasmine-sparkling-tea-non-alcoholic

How easy would this be to make? Just pitch yeast + priming sugar and rack to bottles?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 02:32:17 pm »
Off topic a bit, but has anybody tried the Golden Star White Jasmine tea? Basically it's jasmine tea with bottling sugar and champagne yeasts added at bottling. http://www.yelp.com/topic/san-francisco-golden-star-white-jasmine-sparkling-tea-non-alcoholic

How easy would this be to make? Just pitch yeast + priming sugar and rack to bottles?
It sure looks like that's all they do.  Make some tea, cool it down, add some sugar and yeast, then charge $12 per bottle.  If it's popular, they'll make a killing.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 01:54:34 am »
If it's popular, they'll make a killing.

Oh it is, and they have, but I thank them for giving me the idea so I can replicate it at home for 1/1,000th the cost. Homebrewers Always Win!
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 11:35:56 am »
Their site says "12g sugar in each 6oz pour..." So 2g/fl.oz. How sweet is this stuff? Certainly the sugar is 100% fermentable, so it must be a very subtle sweetness.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis