Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hops  (Read 2648 times)

jaybeerman

hops
« on: September 30, 2010, 04:17:18 pm »
Well, it’s nearing fall and I’m craving beers that I don't typically want/have.  For example, a good malty, super hoppy, English pale/bitter sounds pretty enticing.  This got me thinking about hops with berry fruitiness rather than citrus.  Are all the berry fruit style hops gone?  It seems that this variety of hops always had storage issues and problems with harsh bitterness so I guess I wouldn’t be too surprised if they had all disappeared from the market.  Anyway, I hardly ever see pacific gem, bullion, brewers gold or brambling cross anymore?  Did anyone else like these hops too? Am I forgeting any varieties? Cheers,  j
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:45:14 pm by jaybeerman »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: hops
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 04:34:44 pm »
Tom Schmidlin

jaybeerman

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 04:43:41 pm »
You can get whole or pellet buillion from hops direct:
http://www.hopsdirect.com/detail.src?SKU=HBUL&Category=Leaf%20Hops
http://www.hopsdirect.com/detail.src?SKU=HBUP&Category=Pellet%20Hops

And you can get whole Pacific Gem here:
http://hopstoyou.com/leaf.html

Nice, I've never delt with hopstoyou before.  Have you had good luck with them?  I hate it when you buy hops from someone new and they clearly were harvested three seasons ago.  I actually have about 5 ounces of 2009 bullion (whole hops from hopsdirect) in my freezer, guess I should use them.  Thanks, j

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 05:02:16 pm »
I haven't ordered from hopstoyou yet, still going through what I have in my freezer.  Someone else probably has.  It would be nice if they posted the harvest year, some sites do.

You can also get some of these in pellet form from Rebel Brewer
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/categories/Brewing-Ingredients/Hops/Pellet-Hops/

I haven't ordered from them yet either, but they've been very responsive to email questions and seem to have good customer service.  Even though I'm not a customer yet.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 06:31:01 pm »
When I make English Bitters I like to use Northern Brewer for bittering and EKG's for flavor and aroma.  I prefer my EKG's imported from the UK in whole hop form. They're hard to find right now but the 2010 crop should become available very soon I hope.
Ron Price

jaybeerman

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 10:16:16 pm »
When I make English Bitters I like to use Northern Brewer for bittering and EKG's for flavor and aroma.  I prefer my EKG's imported from the UK in whole hop form. They're hard to find right now but the 2010 crop should become available very soon I hope.

Northern Brewer is a great all around hop and is way underrated.  What's the most ekg you've used in a bitter as finishing hops and what did you think? I like ekg just fine but I like fuggles too.  Right now I’m drinking a styrian golding bitter and it tastes like fuggles; it's hitting the spot for now.  Cheers

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 05:36:59 am »
What's the most ekg you've used in a bitter as finishing hops and what did you think?

It really depends on the quality and freshness of the EKG's that I have on hand. For my ESB (OG=1.060), I like to add roughly 3-4oz between 30min and flameout depending on the overall pungency of the hops. I really like the floral earthy qualities that they lend.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 10:13:50 am »
Right now I’m drinking a styrian golding bitter and it tastes like fuggles

Which makes sense since Styrian Goldings are Fuggles grown in Slovenia.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 12:21:12 pm »
You can also get some of these in pellet form from Rebel Brewer
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/categories/Brewing-Ingredients/Hops/Pellet-Hops/

I haven't ordered from them yet either, but they've been very responsive to email questions and seem to have good customer service.  Even though I'm not a customer yet.

I use rebel all the time (closest online place geographically to me) and they are top notch!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

jaybeerman

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 04:44:34 pm »
Right now I’m drinking a styrian golding bitter and it tastes like fuggles

Which makes sense since Styrian Goldings are Fuggles grown in Slovenia.

yep, good too

jaybeerman

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 04:47:18 pm »
What's the most ekg you've used in a bitter as finishing hops and what did you think?

It really depends on the quality and freshness of the EKG's that I have on hand. For my ESB (OG=1.060), I like to add roughly 3-4oz between 30min and flameout depending on the overall pungency of the hops. I really like the floral earthy qualities that they lend.

Per 5 gallon batch or 10?  I do like heavy english hop brews.  Cheers and thanks for the responces.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 07:45:06 pm »

Per 5 gallon batch or 10?  I do like heavy english hop brews.  Cheers and thanks for the responces.

That's for five gallons.  If you prefer a high hop aroma then dry hop with 1/2 oz of Fuggles.
Ron Price