Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Molasses in a Porter  (Read 4194 times)

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
Molasses in a Porter
« on: October 05, 2010, 11:24:23 pm »
  I am working on a recipe for a Baltic Porter on the low ABV side (btwn 5.5 and 6.0).  I also want to add some home made molasses that I bought way back in the Blue Ridge Mtns. 
  My question is about how much to add (difficult to know without the final recipe) and more importantly, when to add it.  I was thinking to add it late in the boil so I can sanitize it without boiling away any more flavor/aroma than I have to.  I also should consider if the fermentation will drive off much flavor/aroma.  Has anyone worked with this ingredient lately that can give some input to consider?
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline jfin

• 1st Kit
Re: Molasses in a Porter
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 06:06:47 am »
I have used molasses in the boil 1 cup for 5 gallons.  I usually add it at the begining of the boil with malt extract.  adds great flavor 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 06:07:45 am »
I used 1 pound in a 10 gallon batch of baltic porter, and like the results.  It was the light molasses, unsulfured.  Blackstrap is the third runnings, and I am not a fan of that one.

Add at the last 10-15 minutes of the boil.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 09:37:21 am »
A little bit of blackstrap goes a LONG way.  I've used it in a few recipes and I think I added something like 1 or 2 Tbsp in a 5 gal batch.  I normally use the light unsulfured type (Grandma's brand, I think).  It doesn't really need to boil much; it just needs to dissolve.  You could stir it in at knockout if you wanted. 
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 09:39:14 am »
I've used one jar (10 oz?) of Grandma's brand, with good results,  end of boil just to make sure it dissolves.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 09:42:51 am »
Agreed on the blackstrap.  I wouldn't use it.  It has harsh flavors.

I've used Barabados molasses (http://www.alliedoldenglish.com/plantation.php?flavor=barbados).  Apparently, however, Barbados molasses may not technically be molasses... oh well.

I've used a full bottle before in a strong stout, and it was a bit much.  Depends how much you like molasses.  Personally I would use more than a few tablespoons, up to a half bottle (8 oz or so).
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 10:44:17 am »
Thanks for everyone's input.  I guess I'll be going to the store for some Grandmas and save the Blackstrap for cooking.  I have since read in Sam Calagione's Extreme Brewing (pg 112) about using molasses to prime with, so if I don't have enough flavor at bottling time I can still get more in.
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID