Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Schwartzbier recipe advice  (Read 1289 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Schwartzbier recipe advice
« on: December 13, 2022, 02:17:16 pm »
Going to be tackling a Schwartzbier in a couple weeks. After looking at a bunch of recipes, this is what I’ve come up with. Just wondering for those who have experience with this type of beer, any suggestions? Not sure if 9.5% dark malt is too much and it will be too roasty ? Thanks

Pilsner -70.4%
Dark Munich– 20.1%
Carafa 1 - 7.1%
Carafa 3 - 2.4%

IBU=29 with early magnum and late hallertauer m.
OG=1.048
SRM=26
White labs 830

Using RO water with a balance profile something like Ca=50, Mg=10, Na=16, Cl=70, SO4=70 and shooting for 5.5 pH in the mash

Thanks.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Schwartzbier recipe advice
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 02:21:54 pm »
I had a couple in Liepzig in October. Very little roast, surprised at the chocolate flavors. Your on the right track mashing at a higher pH. I've not brewed one yet.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 02:32:51 pm »
Going to be tackling a Schwartzbier in a couple weeks. After looking at a bunch of recipes, this is what I’ve come up with. Just wondering for those who have experience with this type of beer, any suggestions? Not sure if 9.5% dark malt is too much and it will be too roasty ? Thanks

Pilsner -70.4%
Dark Munich– 20.1%
Carafa 1 - 7.1%
Carafa 3 - 2.4%

OG=1.048
SRM=26
White labs 830

Using RO water with a balance profile something like Ca=50, Mg=10, Na=16, Cl=70, SO4=70 and shooting for 5.5 pH in the mash

Thanks.

I like your direction but if I may suggest some midnight wheat in tandem with the carafa 1- 50/50. I believe it will add some nice smoothness.
This is just my opinion w/o plugging anything into software but possibly use more CL2/SO4 for a more maltier profile.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 02:45:58 pm by HopDen »

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 03:01:03 pm »
I've made it a few ways and if you are looking for a light roast presence with just a little chocolate, midnight wheat and Carafa II, combined with a few ounces of chocolate malt will produce a dark, but pils like flavor.  I would sub out the dark Munich for light Munich, too. 

But for my money, adding some Sinamar to a straight up Pils is the way to go.

Others have found interesting results in head to head comparisons:

https://brulosophy.com/2022/09/26/exbeeriment-sinamar-vs-carafa-ii-in-a-schwarzbier/

Enjoy the experience!  Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 03:19:31 pm »
I've made it a few ways and if you are looking for a light roast presence with just a little chocolate, midnight wheat and Carafa II, combined with a few ounces of chocolate malt will produce a dark, but pils like flavor.  I would sub out the dark Munich for light Munich, too. 

https://brulosophy.com/2022/09/26/exbeeriment-sinamar-vs-carafa-ii-in-a-schwarzbier/

I agree with the Sinamar. My understanding is that it was invented for schwarzbier.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 03:20:40 pm »

Pilsner -70.4%
Dark Munich– 20.1%
Carafa 1 - 7.1%
Carafa 3 - 2.4%

OG=1.048
SRM=26
White labs 830

Thanks.

I like your direction but if I may suggest some midnight wheat in tandem with the carafa 1- 50/50. I believe it will add some nice smoothness.
This is just my opinion w/o plugging anything into software but possibly use more CL2/SO4 for a more maltier profile.

3 different dark malts? Seems overly complicated.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 04:48:03 pm »

I agree with the Sinamar. My understanding is that it was invented for schwarzbier.
When we toured Weyermann a few years back, they said it was developed as a coloring agent used in food. IIRC the guide said the business was purchased and moved to Bamberg. They have a logo that is a chinmey sweep, as everything gets dark. Sinimar is made from Carafa II IIRC, but under controlled processes.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 08:20:29 am »
Carafa is the perfect choice but there is too much of it. Go with enough Carafa Special (dehusked) III to get the color dark enough. Roast is not the goal.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2022, 07:00:56 am »
Thanks everybody, I think I will change to Carafa II 3.5% and midnight wheat 3.5%.  I’ll get back to y’all with results.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 06:10:08 am »
Thanks everybody, I think I will change to Carafa II 3.5% and midnight wheat 3.5%.  I’ll get back to y’all with results.

Any updates?
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2023, 08:55:18 am »
OK kegged it yesterday.  The taste from the fermenter was very good. Light and crisp and easy drinking. Tiny bit of dark roast flavor. Kind of just how I wanted it. Seems like it will be an easy drinker. I’ll report back when I tap it.