Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Is Quilmes beer (Argentina) any good?  (Read 696 times)

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
Is Quilmes beer (Argentina) any good?
« on: December 14, 2022, 09:45:24 am »
Watching the World Cup reminded me of my time in Argentina (lived there 1983-84) where ads for Quilmes beer were ubiquitous.  I think I read that they control about 75% of the national market for beer.

It looks like they brew in several different styles.  Founded by a German immigrant in the 1890s.

Are any of Quilmes' offerings any good?  I never did try any when I was there (I was a Mormon missionary, so I didn't even sample any of the Argentine wine, sadly...) but it would be nice to have a Quilmes cerveza or two on sunday to celebrate the Final.  Even if it is crap.

Salud!

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Is Quilmes beer (Argentina) any good?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 02:19:46 pm »
well, I guess nobody here knows  (or cares) whether Quilmes beer is any good. 

I'm guessing probably not, as it is mass produced by a conglomerate AmBev.

That said...  Congrats to ARGENTINA!   That was easily the most exciting soccer match ever!

I enjoyed my own homebrew of a Rauchbier Porter (what???) that I made a couple of months back (Oct 29), that was already quite good before but is just now maturing into such a nice soft roasty porter with a subtle [diminished] smoke undertone.  At 6.9%, I probably shouldn't have had 3 of them, but it was the World Cup Final, and my team brought the Copa home.  Might have to have another one.  :-)

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Is Quilmes beer (Argentina) any good?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 03:08:49 pm »
Congrats!  That was one of the best things I have watched on TV, sports or otherwise, in a long time.