Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops Diverter Plate...Manufacturer?  (Read 2652 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Hops Diverter Plate...Manufacturer?
« on: September 27, 2010, 04:01:07 am »
Who builds/sells these?  I did a "search" at B3 and Northern Brewer, but came up empty.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Hops Diverter Plate...Manufacturer?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 05:36:47 am »
Aren't those usually built-in, as in ...welded in place? That's probably why you're not finding one.
Do you already have a pickup tube doing a "U" back to the corner of the kettle? I would think that plus a good whirlpool should do a pretty good job.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 03:11:38 pm »
Jim - I just saw your post in the hop blocker thread. I think you are making it out to be much more complicated than it is. It is just a thin piece of sheet metal used to hold back the hops from the opening on the kettle. There's no way I could get you a picture of it "open". It doesn't open or close. That is a picture of the bottom of my kettle. Super simple to construct. I will try and get a picture of the hops collected behind the plate next time I brew - probably Wednesday.

On the B3 kettle the diverter plates are welded in as an option when you build your kettle. Mine has a couple small welds to connect it to the pick up tube, but could be constructed weldless.

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 03:25:26 pm »
Jim - I just saw your post in the hop blocker thread. I think you are making it out to be much more complicated than it is. It is just a thin piece of sheet metal used to hold back the hops from the opening on the kettle. There's no way I could get you a picture of it "open". It doesn't open or close. That is a picture of the bottom of my kettle. Super simple to construct. I will try and get a picture of the hops collected behind the plate next time I brew - probably Wednesday.

On the B3 kettle the diverter plates are welded in as an option when you build your kettle. Mine has a couple small welds to connect it to the pick up tube, but could be constructed weldless.

Yeah, I have a tendency to make things more difficult than they are.

Tell me what you think of this idea...

Could I take a length of say heavy duty screen.  It would only need to be 6-8" tall.  Make it into a circle that won't open.  After whirlpooling/settling, slowly drain wort by about half.  Then, simply lower the circular screen into the kettle so that it would essentially surround the trub pile. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 04:48:10 pm »
A screen would work. But I'd just boil with it in place. See my pics to get an idea how to attach the diverter to the pick up tube.

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 05:40:46 pm »
A screen would work. But I'd just boil with it in place. See my pics to get an idea how to attach the diverter to the pick up tube.

Leaving it in during the boil could create problems with my IC.  My idea is to have the circular screen slightly smaller in diameter than my kettle.  It would completely surround the trub pile.  I don't see why I would even have to attach it to my pick up tube.  Still thinking...

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 07:20:52 pm »
I don't understand why it would cause any problems. I use my B3 diverter plate (welded in) with my IC on my 10 gallon system. Seems like a real hassle lowering one in after the boil - could cause more problems than it solves. FTR: The plate keeps a lot of hops back. But it doesn't give you hop free, or trub free wort.