Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Trouble with Morebeer  (Read 1978 times)

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Trouble with Morebeer
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2022, 07:39:24 am »
I bought a Stir Plate from MoreBeer many years ago.  After 3 months, the Plate developed a problem.  I contacted MoreBeer and they sent out a replacement without asking for the defective plate in return.  I was quite impressed.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Online Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2022, 10:30:39 am »
This whole situation has felt almost scammy and I won't be using them again.

Your money, so your decision.

This time of the year things can get hectic, and errors made at a higher-than-normal rate. I'd guess that there was an internal breakdown in communication and the ball was dropped. When the CC dispute came up, the error was brought to light and quickly rectified.

As for scammy, I think you know as well as I do that MoreBeer didn't become one f the largest and most reputable homebrew suppliers by scamming anyone.

As I stated, your money, your decision.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2022, 11:02:56 am »
I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the supplier, especially during busy seasons that amplify any supply and delivery issues.  but if you lack confidence in any seller, it is best to look elsewhere after a major incident.  I buy mostly from my LHBS and they will "make it right" if there is ever a discrepancy, but I also buy from Williams Brewing and More Beer periodically and have been extremely pleased with the service and timing of deliveries from both of them. 

You might want to communicate with More Beer further to make sure they have an opportunity to make it up to you.  They may be willing to offer something that will win you back over as their customer .... just my two cents.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2022, 11:14:36 am »
Steve, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I've been placing several orders with MoreBeer each year for the past 20 years with almost no issues. Two times they shipped more than I ordered and, when I brought it to their attention, they didn't want it back. Another time they shorted me and the missing item was promptly shipped to me.
Sorry you had a bad experience.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2022, 09:10:25 pm »
redundant, but checking this thread i just remembered the single interaction with morebeer that i had.

unfortunately they said it would not really be feasible for them to ship to canada, however they do supply some LHBSs in canada. and while their knowledge of canadian geography was completely off, i recall the guy giving me his name, talking in detail for about 10 minutes on the phone and sending two follow up emails with links he found for suppliers they deal with in canada.

as it has always been, i wish i could get the stuff you guys get in america.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2022, 09:31:01 am »
This whole situation has felt almost scammy and I won't be using them again.

Your money, so your decision.

This time of the year things can get hectic, and errors made at a higher-than-normal rate. I'd guess that there was an internal breakdown in communication and the ball was dropped. When the CC dispute came up, the error was brought to light and quickly rectified.

As for scammy, I think you know as well as I do that MoreBeer didn't become one f the largest and most reputable homebrew suppliers by scamming anyone.

As I stated, your money, your decision.
I find it pretty hard to get past them taking the credit card information from one order and applying it to a different one that was never completed, never sending any acknowledgement of it being completed or that it had been shipped or a tracking number. The uncompleted order was shipped to Stephen Daniel Ruch which I NEVER use when ordering stuff. The completed order was addressed to Steve Ruch which I ALWAYS use. Maybe not scammy, but like you said, it is my decision to shop elsewhere
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Online ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2023, 03:00:43 pm »
That's unfortunate, and I understand your hesitancy to trust. 

I placed a first-time order with a different supplier [i.e., not MoreBeer] whom I had hoped to make my primary supplier, and they shorted me a couple of pounds of Munich Malt.  I contacted them immediately, showed them a photo of the postage label (which had shipping weight on it, to verify it was a few pounds less than my total order should've been) and they took my credit card number to reverse [credit] it but it never came back. 

They did offer me a sizable discount on my next order, but I haven't gone back to them.

It was just a couple of dollars, and I know they are supplier used/trusted by a few on here, but the fact that after various emails back & forth over the subsequent weeks and the credit NEVER showed up made me annoyed that I had given my credit card # to them a second time for no reason at all. 

It shouldn't be a big deal over a couple of dollars, but the fact they never made it right (despite getting my card # AGAIN, for the reversal!) makes me hesitant to do business with them again.  I really wanted to like them too. 

I won't mention who this supplier is, because I may still give them a second chance.   

I've had good experiences with MoreBeer, it sucks that you didn't.  But I understand how you feel.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 10:29:24 am by ScallyWag »

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2023, 02:17:42 pm »
Interesting to read about the bad experience with MB. I too have purchased from MB for a long time (probably > 20 years). Yes, there have been a few hickups over the years, but MB quickly fixed. MB also gave me a full credit for a grain mill even though the grain mill was several years old.

When asked "What do you want for Christmas?", I replied, "Health and happiness for my loved ones.". I was told, "No, we need a real answer!". I said, "A gift card to MB.".

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2023, 03:16:07 pm »
That's unfortunate, and I understand your hesitancy to trust. 

I placed a first-time order with a supplier I had wanted to make my primary supplier, and they shorted me a couple of pounds of Munich Malt.  I contacted them immediately, showed them a photo of the postage label (which had shipping weight on it, to verify it was a few pounds less than my total order should've been) and they took my credit card number to reverse [credit] it but it never came back. 

They did offer me a sizable discount on my next order, but I haven't gone back to them.

It was just a couple of dollars, and I know they are supplier used/trusted by a few on here, but the fact that after various emails back & forth over the subsequent weeks and the credit NEVER showed up made me annoyed that I had given my credit card # to them a second time for no reason at all. 

It shouldn't be a big deal over a couple of dollars, but the fact they never made it right (despite getting my card # for the reversal!) makes me hesitant to do business with them again.  I really wanted to like them too. 

I won't mention who they are, because I may still give them a second chance.   

I've had good experiences with MoreBeer, it sucks that you didn't.  But I understand how you feel.

thats fair, i was buying partially from LHBS and from a few online places before i tried my current one and they have had a total of i think 2 issues and both promptly fixed, and now they tend to throw in a few extra things for me. anyone with experience in sales knows stuff like that is a no-brainer if you want to keep customers. i dont see myself changing for the foreseeable future because i know they'll be prompt and fair.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2023, 07:38:59 pm »
My experience with MoreBeer is very different than that of most people because MoreBeer IS my LHBS. I am fortunate enough to live 4 miles from one of their retail showrooms. They may be a large corporation with a slick internet presence, but their Los Altos showroom is very small and homey. The manager's dog used to greet customers when they entered. I have been going there since I first started brewing and have gotten good customer service from them for years. Anything they don't have in the store can be ordered from their main warehouse for me with no shipping fees because it comes with their regular weekly delivery. I once ordered a 55 pound sack of grain and expected to have to go to the store to pick it up but they shipped it to my home for free. I have gotten good advice and suggestions for ingredients from them and sometimes I drop off a bottle to thank them.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2023, 10:04:15 am »
My experience with MoreBeer is very different than that of most people because MoreBeer IS my LHBS. I am fortunate enough to live 4 miles from one of their retail showrooms. They may be a large corporation with a slick internet presence, but their Los Altos showroom is very small and homey. The manager's dog used to greet customers when they entered. I have been going there since I first started brewing and have gotten good customer service from them for years. Anything they don't have in the store can be ordered from their main warehouse for me with no shipping fees because it comes with their regular weekly delivery. I once ordered a 55 pound sack of grain and expected to have to go to the store to pick it up but they shipped it to my home for free. I have gotten good advice and suggestions for ingredients from them and sometimes I drop off a bottle to thank them.

I agree completely.  I am about 30 mins from the Los Altos and have been there a few times.  Being new, I walked in with little knowledge of what I needed. The guy behind the counter, damned if I can remember his name, spent a lot of time teaching me about different stuff and ended up pulling a Extract kit for me that he recommended.  I go back when I can and always get great info and a good chat from them.  The guy I deal with most is a taller guy, says he works for a Brewery in Hollister as well.  Nice guy and seems pretty knowledgeable.  I would love to work there as they have a kegerator in the back with two or three taps running.  LOL.  Either way, nothing bad to say about Morebeer.  As a side note, I ordered about 100 bucks worth of stuff on Wed morning, no shipping and it showed up on Thursday afternoon.  Can't be much faster than that.  RR