Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When to D-rest and Lager NEED HELP!  (Read 4427 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
When to D-rest and Lager NEED HELP!
« on: December 11, 2009, 01:54:42 pm »
So I had my time-management all wrong (final exams are to blame) and I am in a bind. I brewed my first lager, an Oktoberfest, on the 2nd of December. Now it's the 11th, and it's not done fermenting (still plenty of airlock activity and a little krausen). Tomorrow morning I am leaving for a month. Should I leave it in primary (current temp is 52F) the whole time, then D-rest in January and lager throughout Feb and March? Should I D-rest today, even though it's not done, and then transfer tomorrow? Should I rack it without a D-rest tomorrow morning and lager?

Used 2 packs of W-34/70.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: When to D-rest and Lager NEED HELP!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 02:00:27 pm »
Should I leave it in primary (current temp is 52F) the whole time, then D-rest in January and lager throughout Feb and March?

That's what I'd do.  I've never been disappointed by giving a beer more time, but I have when I've rushed it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 05:09:58 pm »
My fermentation fridge holds two carboys. Along with the Oktoberfest in primary and an Altbier (made with WY 1007) in secondary in the same fridge. I was hoping to lager the altbier at the same time as the Octoberfest (but possibly kegging it after a month of lagering, while letting the Oktoberfest lager for longer). In retrospect, I should have brewed the Oktoberfest first, since the 1007 finished primary in 4 days at D-rest temp. If I leave the Altbier in secondary at about 50F for a month (it's been in secondary for a month already), will that beer be ready to drink, or should I let it lager at 32F for a month or two (or three)?

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 08:14:17 pm »
Should I leave it in primary (current temp is 52F) the whole time, then D-rest in January and lager throughout Feb and March?

I think this is a better option then pulling it off yeast too early.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 05:32:26 am »
I too think your best option is to leave the beer at 50f. After another month at primary fermentation temps you won't have to do a D-rest. That long primary is your D-rest.

While I'm not a big fan of leaving the beer on the yeast for longer than necessary, it is better than rushing it and ending up with a sweet and unfinished beer.

Kai

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 01:27:39 pm »
I would leave the beer in the primary.  At the lower temperature it will continue to work, and I regularly let my lagers go for weeks longer than typical ale fermentations.
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA