Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Re-yeasting when bottlng  (Read 5358 times)

Offline jared long

• 1st Kit
Re-yeasting when bottlng
« on: October 05, 2010, 01:14:31 pm »
greetings!

i am interested in re-yeasting a belgian dubbel that has been conditioning in secondary for a couple of weeks.  the beer has hit its terminal gravity (1.014), but i'd like to get it even drier.  i'm also curious to see what will happen when re-yeasting before bottling.

my question relates to the correct procedure for doing this.  can anyone explain?

secondly, is there any risk of exploding bottles?  is there a guideline for what gravity it becomes safe to re-yeast at?

many thanks....

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Re-yeasting when bottlng
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 01:31:57 pm »
Keep in mind that your FG will be determined at least as much (probably more) by the fermentability of your wort rather than by the yeast.  When you say "reyeasting before bottling", are you planning on doing it in advance of bottling?  The usual method is to add yeast when you bottle.  I simply add 1/3-1/3 pack of US-05 to the bottling bucket when I do it.  But the only time I add bottling yeast is when the OG is over 100 and the beer has been in secondary for months.  Otherwise, I haven't found it necessary.  As to bottle bombs, the yeast you add will only ferment to the extent that there are fermentable sugars in your wort.  If it's fermented out, there is no danger of bottle bombs.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jared long

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 01:49:11 pm »
excellent.  thanks!  yeah, my plan is to add yeast to the bottling bucket, then bottle.

have you noticed a difference in finished product by carbonating using this method as opposed to simply priming with sugar and letting the remaining yeast do the work?

my sense is that re-yeasting is pretty common procedure when it comes to bottling belgian beers and i'm curious to see what it's all about.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 01:52:08 pm »
If you have reason to believe that the yeast stopped early then by all means add some fresh yeast and let it go a bit longer.  If you think it's finished, then add priming sugar and yeast to carbonate like Denny suggests.  But if you think it's not finished and just needs more yeast, don't add sugar, yeast, and bottle or you're risking bottle bombs.

Also keep in mind that the beer will taste drier when it is cold and carbonated than it does when it is still warm and flat.

I simply add 1/3-1/3 pack of US-05 to the bottling bucket when I do it.

So Denny, you're saying you add 1/3 of a pack?  ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jared long

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 01:57:27 pm »
great info!  many thanks...

so am i correct in understanding that re-yeasting is common procedure for belgians simply because they are conditioned for a long time and require a new dose of yeast for proper carbonation?

in other words, why re-yeast when priming sugar alone will do the trick?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 02:06:30 pm »
Mostly it's a matter of prudence.  If you've ever had an entire batch of flat bottles to deal with you'll see the benefits of adding yeast at bottling even if you probably don't need it.   ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 02:36:48 pm »
I simply add 1/3-1/3 pack of US-05 to the bottling bucket when I do it.

So Denny, you're saying you add 1/3 of a pack?  ;D

DOH!  Doing too may things at once!  1/3-1/2.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 02:37:57 pm »
in other words, why re-yeast when priming sugar alone will do the trick?

Being the kind of guy who hates to expend effort of I don't have to, that's my theory!  What was the OG of your dubbel, and how long has it been in primary and secondary?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 03:35:15 pm »
But the only time I add bottling yeast is when the OG is over 100 and the beer has been in secondary for months.  Otherwise, I haven't found it necessary. 

Denny,  So you wouldn't bother on a barley wine with an 83 OG after 5 1/2 months?  I had been planning on hitting it with some Nottingham when I bottle it next month but this is my first time doing a "long" secondary on a relatively high OG beer.

Thanks for any guidance.
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 10:09:30 am »
But the only time I add bottling yeast is when the OG is over 100 and the beer has been in secondary for months.  Otherwise, I haven't found it necessary. 

Denny,  So you wouldn't bother on a barley wine with an 83 OG after 5 1/2 months?  I had been planning on hitting it with some Nottingham when I bottle it next month but this is my first time doing a "long" secondary on a relatively high OG beer.

Thanks for any guidance.

At 5 1/2 months, I probably would just to be safe.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 11:48:46 am »

Thanks for any guidance.
I hate to +1 but

+1

At 5 1/2 months, I probably would just to be safe.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 01:19:01 pm »
So have you bottled the dubbel yet?  If so, what was the verdict?  Did you re-yeast anyway?

I just bottled a dubbel about a week and a half ago that was 1.068 OG, 1.010 FG lagered for 5 weeks.  At bottling I put in 1/2 pack of safbrew t-58 along with 5oz corn sugar.  Better safe than sorry I say.  At about 7.7%abv, the yeast that's there is pretty tired, and a fair amount fell out of suspension.  After in the bottle, the bottle conditioning yeast was all caked on the bottom and the beer perfectly clear.  Opened one up last night and has perfect carbonation and clarity.

Just my input on the subject.  :)

Offline jared long

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 03:11:43 pm »
not bottled yet.  i am thinking about aging this dubbel for a while -- it's only been in secondary for a couple of weeks. 

thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 09:01:48 am »
So have you bottled the dubbel yet?  If so, what was the verdict?  Did you re-yeast anyway?

I just bottled a dubbel about a week and a half ago that was 1.068 OG, 1.010 FG lagered for 5 weeks.  At bottling I put in 1/2 pack of safbrew t-58 along with 5oz corn sugar.  Better safe than sorry I say.  At about 7.7%abv, the yeast that's there is pretty tired, and a fair amount fell out of suspension.  After in the bottle, the bottle conditioning yeast was all caked on the bottom and the beer perfectly clear.  Opened one up last night and has perfect carbonation and clarity.

Just my input on the subject.  :)

It would have been interesting of you had bottled some without the yeast as a comparison.  To my mind, your beer falls into the "don't bother with extra yeast" category.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 11:34:42 am »
Yeah, I wasn't sure which way to go on it, but my line of thought was this:

I didn't add fresh yeast when I bottled my doppleock (about 8.5%) after 7weeks of lagering.  That yeast is used to being in the cold environment and will stick around and stay alive rather than dormant.  But that is a lager strain of yeast.

The dubbel used wyeast 1214 and white labs 500.  True top cropper ale strains.  I didn't figure they'd like it all that much after chewing through all the sugars and being at 34F for 5 weeks.  Eh, I'll throw a half pack of yeast in just in case.

Then again, I didn't re-yeast after lagering my kolsch, but that's a bit different story as that yeast doesn't mind, and is used to the cold storage.

Next ale I put through an extended lager, I might try not re-yeasting.