Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Metallic taste in pale lagers  (Read 3296 times)

Offline Big Harry Deehl

• 1st Kit
Re: Metallic taste in pale lagers
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2023, 09:21:21 am »
Looks just like my garage floor did early last year, floor paint color, wear and all.
Was looking to go with epoxy, but last summer went with polyaspartic.

It looked great when I bought the house (which was unoccupied) 6 years ago, but immediately and presently sticks and pulls off onto all things rubber.  There's floor paint constantly pulling off on my kegs and tires.  The house is 50 years old and obviously the garage floor wasn't prepped properly and was painted to wow a potential buyer (me).

I'm going a completely different direction.  What's your water stats?  What hops?

The recipes have been works in progress.  Early batches were pretty soft Birmingham, AL water (100%) which has morphed to @ 75% distilled.  Hops have been noble German / Czech and or Liberty.  I used Nugget once for a bittering addition but think I over did it and am back to using low alpha nobles.  I love this beer (made a pilgrimage to the brewery) and recipe and have been tweaking it over a few iterations. Tasted the original and my homebrew side by side and the recipe is pretty close. https://beerandbrewing.com/recipe-schoenramer-isch-pils/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 10:03:14 pm by Big Harry Deehl »
Homebrewing since the last millennia
AHA Member in Birmingham, AL
BJCP Master

Offline Big Harry Deehl

• 1st Kit
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2023, 10:19:34 pm »
UPDATE: Problem SOLVED!
The metallic off flavor kept getting worse and worse and was no longer subtle by any means.  I dumped way too many batches........ Looking back, I should have known better.  I use floating dip tubes in both my 10g corny keg fermenter and serving kegs.  I had bought some cheap "stainless" rings to move the pick up tube just slightly further below the beer's surface. Turns out those little rings weren't quality stainless and eventually the discoloration caught my eye.  They were corroded and the smell from them was really strong for such a small item.  I spent a lot of money on going full stainless everywhere in my brewery and was defeated by tiny $.10 POS rings. Copper was never the culprit.  I should have known better than take a chance on unknown stainless.
Homebrewing since the last millennia
AHA Member in Birmingham, AL
BJCP Master

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2023, 04:37:20 am »
I’m glad you found the culprit. Here’s to the next beer with no metallic taste!  Cheers!