Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Holy %*#@! It's Hot  (Read 5679 times)

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Re: Holy %*#@! It's Hot
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 09:53:49 am »
keep in mind that most people are never satisfied & will b**** about the weather no matter what it is. in the summer, it's too hot. in the winter, it's too cold. I think most folks want Camelot, including rain only at night.

personally, I'm happy right here in N. FL. I know many of you will say it's too hot. But s***, it's too hot most places in the summer. and while I get it, the "oh, but it's a dry heat here, and it's too humid there" argument just doesn't cut it. It never gets as hot here as in many places, and if it does then it's just another reason to go swimming or kayaking.

But it's winter that seals the deal for me. I believe that much of the country north of here is uninhabitable for a good part of the year. I know that millions don't agree with that - for which I'm endlessly grateful. too many folks here in FL as it is. Snow is fun to play in, but I'd rather go to it than have it come to me.

anyway, early mornings and evenings are starting to cool off. quite pleasant to take the beast for a walk. I guess 'fall' is on the way.

Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 10:23:11 am »
I totally agree about the snow Mark, but Florida is completely uninhabitable in the summers.   :-\

We've got pretty much the same weather as Denny right now, hit 78F yesterday with 80%+ humidity.  Current humidity is around 90%, 62F, but it will climb into the 70s today and stay up around 80% humidity.  The warmth is pretty crazy for the end of September here, it's usually 10-20F cooler.  Not complaining though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 10:53:45 am »
Love the snow! Never saw I flake fall I didn't love. Always just a little bummed when it stopped. Miss the hell out of it now that I live in the south. But I absolutely F'ing HATE the heat!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 11:03:59 am »
I might have to resurrect the "Getting ready for another Nor'easter... " thread again this year.  ;D

hmmm.... that reminds me...I need to change the oil in my snowblower.  8)
Ron Price

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 11:10:10 am »
Maybe this winter we can get through without losing power for 3+ days.  Lost power for 2 days last year due to wind storm and 6 days the winter before due to the big ice storm.

But I deal with cold a lot better than heat...I mean there's only so many clothes you want me to take off :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 11:28:46 am »
I can deal with the heat. And the cold. But multi-year drought conditions take their toll on everything especially with our heavy clay soil. Despite a few deluges we haven't had a proper rainy season (Summer) in at least 3 years. My driveway has disintegrated.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 11:59:26 am »
keep in mind that most people are never satisfied & will b**** about the weather no matter what it is. in the summer, it's too hot. in the winter, it's too cold.

But its our right to b**** about the weather ;D
N.Fla. I see ,then heres a nice N.Fla summer pic in the shade>

When my in-ground pool hits 97f for days on end its too damn hot and yes theres a huge difference in heat- 115f in ElPaso,Tx. is a cake walk but 90f on a steaming Fla afternoon sucks.

Its a nice balmy 86F  65%humdity right now , seems fall is coming ;D

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 12:04:13 pm »
keep in mind that most people are never satisfied & will b**** about the weather no matter what it is. in the summer, it's too hot. in the winter, it's too cold.

Hell, I've been happy most of the summer here in LA. It's been incredibly mild. This is by far the hottest it's been. Today - 102F. Tomorrow it finally starts to break - 99F
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 12:09:27 pm »

Hell, I've been happy most of the summer here in LA. It's been incredibly mild. This is by far the hottest it's been. Today - 102F. Tomorrow it finally starts to break - 99F

It's those freakish Santa Anna winds isn't it? But normally, the nights are mild during the summer there in LA aren't they? Long sleeves?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 12:39:06 pm »
LA?? I didn't know Drew lived in Lower Alabama? No wonder its' so stinkin' hot!

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 01:30:59 pm »
It's those freakish Santa Anna winds isn't it? But normally, the nights are mild during the summer there in LA aren't they? Long sleeves?

No Santa Ana's right now, which I'm thankful for because the Santa Ana's would just ladle an extra sampling of hell on top of it all.

The basic problem is the ocean breeze is stalled out so thanks to that the LA basin has turned into a giant griddle.

The Santa Ana's though are a source of one of my favorite quotes from Raymond Chandler's "Red Wind":

It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen.
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 01:59:54 pm »
Welcome to what the rest of us call 'summer'.  Rest assured, you'll be back to your normal 72 any time now.

(This is tongue-in-cheek channeling 'LA Story' with Steve Martin as the weather man who doesn't even try to do his job --- "why bother, it's 72 every day")
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 02:49:35 pm »
Rest assured, you'll be back to your normal 72 any time now.

I wish it was 72 year round.. maybe down by the coast. It wasn't that many years ago I was teaching a brew class on a day it hit 119F at the weather station 2 miles down the road
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 04:12:48 pm »
Love the snow! Never saw I flake fall I didn't love. Always just a little bummed when it stopped. Miss the hell out of it now that I live in the south. But I absolutely F'ing HATE the heat!

+ 1000

Man, I hate the summer with a passion.I love winter! couldn't live with out it. You can always put more clothes on but in the summer you can only (legally) take so much off.

I love the seasons changing too, the apples, pumpkins. Spring flowers.  Wouldn't want to live without that. The excitement on the kids face when the snow starts. Awesome.

The summer is fun for a lot of stuff, for me work isnt one of them.

You can keep Florida, in fact you can keep the whole south. Its too hot for me there even in the winter.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:15:33 pm by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 04:22:37 pm »
I've escaped the Florida heat for a week and am now in New Hampshire, where the weather is nice and cool and the trees are turning some pretty garishly bright colors.  Ahh.....Climate Change!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995