Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Indiana craft maltster  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Indiana craft maltster
« on: January 03, 2023, 08:17:13 am »
I just bottled a batch of all Indiana grown ingredients from Sugar Creek Malting, Crazy Horse hops, and local wildflower honey. It turned out great.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: Indiana craft maltster
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 02:50:57 pm »
I've heard only good things about Sugar Creek's products.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 03:10:29 pm »
My next three beers will have Sugar Creek malts in them. I am looking forward to them.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 03:13:58 pm »
I used 5 lbs oh Rauchmalz in a 10 gallon batch. Way to strong and harsh for me, also ashy when the beer was young. I had gotten behind on smoking my own and wanted to try Sugar Creeks.

I want to try their malted corn as people have liked it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 03:45:55 pm »
I used 5 lbs oh Rauchmalz in a 10 gallon batch. Way to strong and harsh for me, also ashy when the beer was young. I had gotten behind on smoking my own and wanted to try Sugar Creeks.

After trying a beer made with the malted corn, I would advise you not to think of it as a replacement for flaked maize. It has a distinct flavor. A cream ale Drew made with it was nothing like a cream ale. You need to think of it as it's own, unique flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 08:06:42 am »

After trying a beer made with the malted corn, I would advise you not to think of it as a replacement for flaked maize. It has a distinct flavor. A cream ale Drew made with it was nothing like a cream ale. You need to think of it as it's own, unique flavor.

I've read that. Might look around the web and see what people think.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 12:46:44 pm »

Whats the flavor like?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 02:13:38 pm »

Whats the flavor like?

hard to describe unless I had a beer made with it here as I tried.  But not nearly as neutral as flaked maize.  Kinda strong and nutty. Didn't really have any corn flavor IIRC.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 02:23:58 pm »
Sugar Creek offers at least 3 types of Corn Malts.  They don't do a great job of explaining the difference in taste between these varieties.

http://www.sugarcreekmalt.com/sugar-creek-limited-release-malts.html

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2023, 03:05:16 pm »
Sugar Creek offers at least 3 types of Corn Malts.  They don't do a great job of explaining the difference in taste between these varieties.

Thanks for the info! I don't know which one Drew used.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2023, 10:39:53 am »

I used their Bloody Butcher malt in a Märzen not too long ago. The raw malt tastes closest to Vienna malt to me. In the beer with other kilned malts it just kinda blends in. There is none of the "sweet corn" flavor I get from flaked corn. There is maybe a hint of a cornmeal flavor, but that could also me just finding what I'm looking for. It's not bad, but I didn't think it added much, either. I'll probably try it again over the summer in something like an APA or Blond Ale where would probably show through more on the malt side.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2023, 02:31:08 pm »
I used the bloody butcher malted corn in a Pre-Pro Pils and two Saisons.  My take on the flavor contribution is that I wouldn't know it's corn- for me it give some sweetness and perhaps a bit of earthiness to the beer.  I really like it in the Saisons I've made with it.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2023, 07:40:25 am »
I'm definitely going to order more in the future.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2023, 12:04:05 pm »
I'm definitely going to order more in the future.
Same here. I've been using a lot of their Ye Olde Pale Ale malt recently and it has a great flavor that I really enjoy in English style ales.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer