Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Corning Beef  (Read 726 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Corning Beef
« on: March 09, 2023, 03:40:46 pm »
A little help over here!!  ;D

I am going to make corned beef from scratch, 1st time! Question is, before going into the brine, should I trim the fat cap? I can't find any info online that shines any lite on this question. I assume the lack of instruction answers my question but wanted to put it out there to you peops.
Thanks!!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Corning Beef
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 06:32:52 pm »
External fat will act as a barrier so trimming off the fat cap will allow the brine to penetrate the meat from both sides, leading to a faster cure. Leaving it intact can double the time it takes to fully cure, especially in thicker areas.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Corning Beef
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 08:20:46 pm »

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 02:41:17 pm »
Thanks guys! I appreciate the input.
Also, thanks for the link. Helpful!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 02:01:09 pm »
Who else do we have curing beef this week?

I have a couple flats that will be at seven days tomorrow. I'll soak in fresh water tomorrow to leach out excess salt and smoke on Tuesday. I'll be out of town the latter part of the week so I'm getting this done early. I have sauerkraut that looks to be ready by Tuesday, baking rye bread on Tuesday and making Russian dressing. Only thing I'm not making for Reubens is swiss cheese because I haven't quite got my cheesemaking down just yet.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 02:16:22 pm »
Who else do we have curing beef this week?

I have a couple flats that will be at seven days tomorrow. I'll soak in fresh water tomorrow to leach out excess salt and smoke on Tuesday. I'll be out of town the latter part of the week so I'm getting this done early. I have sauerkraut that looks to be ready by Tuesday, baking rye bread on Tuesday and making Russian dressing. Only thing I'm not making for Reubens is swiss cheese because I haven't quite got my cheesemaking down just yet.

NICE!!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 04:15:10 am »
+1 Definitely trim the fat.

Step-by-step: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-corned-beef-recipe/

Follow Up: Decided to make a pastrami recipe instead of corned beef from the link you posted. I have to say that it turned out better than I expected!
Bookmarked his website for future recipes.
Thanks again!!