Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to add ingredients minus O2 during closed transfer to secondary fermenter?  (Read 940 times)

Offline DillyDilly

• 1st Kit
Newbie here.  Pardon this if this has been asked already but I can't seem to perform a search specific to this topic.

I've been performing closed loop transfers from my primary fermenter (plastic bucket) to my 5gal corny keg using this method:

- fill corny keg full of sanitizer solution (Star Sans)
- attach C02 line to gas post
- attach ball lock drain tube to liquid post
- purge sanitizer into 6 gal bucket so now corny keg is empty (for the most part) and full of CO2 (in theory)
- release pressure from corny keg
- add ~3-5 psi C02 back into keg
- attach C02 "exhaust" line from keg to fermenter bucket blow off tube "Y" valve
- attach sanitized transfer line (with liquid ball lock disconnect) to bucket spigot (my fermenting bucket is higher than the keg so gravity helps also)
- open ball valve on C02 exhaust line to carefully "pressurize" my fermenter bucket.  I have 1 hand on the ball valve and my other on the keg pressure release valve while watching the top of the bucket lid (think of this like making love in a canoe  ;) )
- attach liquid line to liquid post and open spigot to begin the "pressurized" transfer

I have an idea (maybe far fetched?).  I'd like to secondary ferment/condition an imperial stout in a corny keg for 2-3 months.  The problem is that I need to introduce 12oz of bourbon and 3 oz of charred oak cubes into the keg prior to the transfer.  I "think" I'll be good to leave the oak cubes in the keg for the duration of serving?  My question is:  How would I introduce the ingredients to the closed loop keg without introducing oxygen?  Anyone done this before?  This is the NB Dragon's Silk recipe (extract in my case) for anyone that is wondering.  I moved from the city where New Holland Brewing is to the south and sadly, Dragon's Milk isn't readily available to me.

TIA for your input - Mike

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
I wouldn't leave the oak cubes in there that long. Personally, I haven't found d oxygen exposure to be the problem that many others have, especially for that style. It can actually benefit from a bit of oxidation. Just open the fermenter, be fast and careful.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
The level of effort to avoid oxidation is admirable.  You can take it one step further, if you wish - namely to purge the liquid line and the gas line with CO2, as well.  That should really push it as far as limiting O2...but the question remains about how to introduce the bourbon and oak cubes.  For that, you could simply run CO2 into the keg through the gas or liquid line, so that it "blankets" (misnomer, I know) the CO2 already present.  You can transfer the bourbon by gravity through the liquid out line or just quickly dump it in.  The oak cubes would require the lid to be fully opened under your arrangement.  Some new devices exist to enable a dump arrangement in a CO2-purged canister though a butterfly valve and into the fermented beer.

If you have another keg, you can transfer to it after the oak has reached the desired intensity level.  Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline DillyDilly

• 1st Kit
Thanks for the input you two!  It certainly has my wheels turning.  I'm an automotive engineer so I probably won't sleep until I conceive a way to introduce the oak cubes without having to open the lid.  I might be a little too anal about the introduction of O2 but that is the drawback of living the life of an engineer  :)

Denny - I must admit that I do like the idea of opening the lid for a quick second to dump in the cubes.  KISS principle most times wins the race.  I will heed your advice about leaving the oak cubes in during serving.

ynotbrusum - I did think of filling my transfer line with bourbon 'til nearly full before attaching it to the primary spigot prior to the beer transfer.  This would remove the O2 (or most of it) from the transfer line.  And yes, I could take the O2 purge 1 step further and purge the O2 from the CO2 "exhaust" line.  The mention of a contraption to dump the cubes intrigues me.  Do you have any links to these contraptions?  I like your idea of transferring to a serving keg after secondary fermentation is complete.  This would also satisfy Denny's concern with leaving the cubes in during the remaining duration of serving.

Sounds like a I have a science project on the horizon!

Thanks y'all!

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
Adding bourbon and oak cubes to beer:
For 5 gallons of beer I soak 4 ounces of medium American toasted oak cubes in a mason jar with 16 ounces of bourbon for about 2 days. I add the bourbon to the keg an then transfer beer from the fermenter into the keg.  My Corny Keg Lid has a Welded Tab and I tie a nylon bag with the cubes and dangle it in the beer for one week then I remove the bag and cubes. After that I carbonate the beer for serving. 

Offline BrewBama

I have an upcoming Bourbon Barrel Oat Stout in the same circumstances.

Though I am using a spiral, I plan to add it after I fill the keg with no foam sanitizer, close up the keg, push the sanitizer out with fermentation CO2, closed transfer and leave the spiral in until the keg kicks.

I am using Barrel Aged Chocolate Malt as one of my ingredients but if I was using bourbon I would add it thru the in post.

Offline DillyDilly

• 1st Kit

Though I am using a spiral, I plan to add it after I fill the keg with no foam sanitizer, close up the keg, push the sanitizer out with fermentation CO2, closed transfer and leave the spiral in until the keg kicks.

I am using Barrel Aged Chocolate Malt as one of my ingredients but if I was using bourbon I would add it thru the in post.

Spiral?  ???

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
For 5 gallons of beer I soak 4 ounces of medium American toasted oak cubes in a mason jar with 16 ounces of bourbon for about 2 days. I add the bourbon to the keg an then transfer beer from the fermenter into the keg.  My Corny Keg Lid has a Welded Tab and I tie a nylon bag with the cubes and dangle it in the beer for one week then I remove the bag and cubes. After that I carbonate the beer for serving.

I taste the beer and pull out the oak when I like the results usually about 7 days.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
There is a reason that Charlie P's mantra is "relax, don't worry, have a homebrew" - do what you can knowing that you are a homebrewer.  Sounds like you are engineering a solution to a problem that you don't yet know you have.  Open the keg, toss in what you need to (run some CO2 if you want) and get the beer in.  Move the beer out to another keg or pull out the oak cubes somehow and enjoy the beer when you decide to.  THEN decide if you don't like it because of oxidation and brew the next batch accordingly.

Offline DillyDilly

• 1st Kit

I taste the beer and pull out the oak when I like the results usually about 7 days.

Hmmm...Wonder what word happen if I put the oak cubes in the primary in a way that I can let them drop into the beer when the beer is done fermenting? Then do my close transfer deal.

Thanks for that tip!

Offline BrewBama

Spiral?  ???
Similar to these. My son got me some from a local distillery.

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. I am not paid or sponsored by anyone. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
I brewed a similar stout recently. I soaked the oak chips in bourbon for several days, then added both to the beer at the end of fermentation. The oak chips went in a bag in the fermenter that is designed for dry hops (https://www.morebeer.com/products/monstermesh-strainer-fermmonster-carboys.html) . I left them there for a couple of days, then did a cold crash and closed transfer that left the oak chips behind in the bag in the fermenter. It worked out nicely and the result is excellent.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's