Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ordering from Hops Direct  (Read 1855 times)

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
Ordering from Hops Direct
« on: January 06, 2023, 12:21:49 pm »
I have never purchased hops from Hops Direct. Thinking about ordering from them and any comments would be appreciated.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: Ordering from Hops Direct
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 12:54:05 pm »
the best hops I have ever gotten, hands down. His "lager hop" blend called edelweiss is divine.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 01:29:01 pm »
Thanks!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 01:29:43 pm »
the best hops I have ever gotten, hands down. His "lager hop" blend called edelweiss is divine.

That's Hop Heaven, not Hops Direct
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 02:23:36 pm »
I have never purchased hops from Hops Direct. Thinking about ordering from them and any comments would be appreciated.

I ordered from them 2021 & 2022 right after Falls Harvest. https://hopsdirect.com/
Plan on doing the same next year.  I also use https://yakimavalleyhops.com/
Between the two I get the current years dried leaf that I want, and keeps me until next
years harvest.  No issues with either one.

Cheers

« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 02:31:08 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 02:59:00 pm »

Shoot, you're right. I misread. I've ordered from Hops Direct in the past. The quality of the hops seem to vary quite a bit.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 08:44:13 am »

Shoot, you're right. I misread. I've ordered from Hops Direct in the past. The quality of the hops seem to vary quite a bit.
I've had good luck with them and order from them from time to time if they have a good deal. The only "miss" I've had from them is Belma, which I believe is a variety they developed themselves. It supposedly has a strawberry aroma, but I get zero aroma from it, no matter how much I've used. It is the blandest hop variety I've ever tried.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 09:55:35 am »
Been dealing with them for many years and have always been very satisfied with their product and service. Top quality hops and very competitive, especially if you take advantage of their flat-rate package that holds up to 4 lbs. of pellet hops.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 02:08:45 pm »
I've used them in the past. Hops were good, service was great

Whole cone by the pound is always more than a pound, they err on the high side.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2023, 06:25:46 am »
I purchased hops a few times from them a couple years ago.  The experience was always quite pleasant.  I don’t brew as much as I use to so I don’t buy in volume anymore.  But Hops Direct is a good vendor!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2023, 08:36:18 am »

I've had good luck with them and order from them from time to time if they have a good deal. The only "miss" I've had from them is Belma, which I believe is a variety they developed themselves. It supposedly has a strawberry aroma, but I get zero aroma from it, no matter how much I've used. It is the blandest hop variety I've ever tried.
What was the AA%? Maybe for bittering instead of magnum?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2023, 08:38:53 am »

What was the AA%? Maybe for bittering instead of magnum?

I have yet to hear anyone say anything good about Belma.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2023, 08:41:03 pm »
I believe Belma was cultivated by Puterbaugh Farms (Hops Direct).
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2023, 07:22:13 am »
I believe Belma was cultivated by Puterbaugh Farms (Hops Direct).
This is correct.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2023, 10:15:23 am »
I've ordered quite a bit from them over the years. Their pounds are generously more than a pound. It seems they have been stuck with an excess supply for several years now. I ordered in 2020 or 2021 when they offered free pounds with every order and they filled the box with way more than I expected. I've never had an issue ordering or a problem with the quality. There may be better hops out there but I've never been disappointed by what I got.

I recall ordering the very first harvest of Belma in 2011. It is absolutely a gentle hop. Even used in large quantities it is tough to get notable flavor out of it. When you do, it's melon and strawberry. I ended up using most of it for bittering. It's a smooth hop for bittering like magnum.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing