Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mini Kegs  (Read 1950 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Mini Kegs
« on: September 28, 2010, 07:33:26 pm »
I know they are labeled "non reusable"...... But the table top cooler/dispensers are SEXY...... One could easily divide a batch into 4 5 liter mini kegs. Serve them one at a time. Anyone done this?
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Mini Kegs
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 09:49:22 pm »
Here's my Heineken mini-keg system.  Maybe this is sort of what you had in mind?  Please ignore the dirty dishes in the background -- you have been warned, so shut up in advance.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90461&hilit=heineken
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 11:51:18 pm »
So basically you cannibalize a bung from one keg, since you keep the dispensing tap in place. A nice adaptation. Perfect for those test batches.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 05:33:43 am »
I have read that they are only good for maybe half a dozen uses or less. What's your experience with that?
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 05:57:26 am »
Don't know yet.  I just started doing this a few months ago and unfortunately haven't been brewing a lot either.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 09:40:48 pm »
I had read an article somewhere, where a person used a two holed cork and some tubeing to connect the mini kegs to a CO2 dispenseing system.  I cannot find the article but it looked easy.

As for re-using the cans, you can use them multiple times, however, the cans are "coated" on the inside to prevent the acidic beer from pulling the passivated aluminum layer off the walls of the keg.  After a few uses, (and bumping) the coating gets cracked and allows the aluminum to add flavors to yoru beer.  So if you are careful, they can be re-used a lot!

-- Wingnut - Cheers!