Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All Citra hop recipe I found  (Read 3567 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
All Citra hop recipe I found
« on: January 07, 2023, 07:35:26 am »
I brewed a kit from Morebeer with all citra hops and it turned out really good.  So I found this one and am going to give it a try.  I think the grain bill on this one is a bit different than the Morebeer one, so I want to see what the taste difference is.  Here is the one I found:

"Overhang IPA"

Mash temp 150 for 60 mins
Boil time 60 mins
Est PreBoil Gravity 1.052
Est OG  1.055
Est FG 1.011
Est ABV  6.2%

Grain bill:

11lb 2 row
1lb Munich
8oz Carapils
8oz Crystal 20
8oz Melaniodin
4oz Honey malt

Hops all Citra Pellets 11 to 13AA

.7 ounces at 60
1.2oz at 15, 10, 5, 0
2.65oz at either dry hop after fermentation for 4 or 5 days or whirlpool when wort reaches 135

Yeast Bry97 (recipe call for Lutra, but as I have read my ferm temps don't get high enough to justify the extra money, and I have Bry97 on hand)

My recipe says to transfer to keg after 5 to 6 days, but that seems very fast.  Might leave it in the fermenter another week or so.

This sure seems like a lot of Citra hops but based on Brewfather the IBU is at 69 or so.  I have to go look back at some other recipes, but it seems some of my others have been higher. 

Any input on this recipe?  I know everyone has an opinion, but I am thinking of giving it a go.  Wondering if a 60 minute addition of Mosiac or Chinook or something would bring a bit more to the party?  Thoughts? 

Thanks for reading.  RR
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 08:12:02 am by redrocker652002 »

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
Re: All Citra hop recipe I found
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 07:46:20 am »
I just kegged my all Citra IPA. 2 row and Crystal 40. My total amount of Citra was 269 grams ( 9.5 ozs. ). I bought 7 lbs. a couple of years ago so I need to use them up. It tasted fine, nothing over the top. I do think when it is time to buy more hops I will go with Citra and another hop I haven't decided to use yet. I just want something a little different in my IPA's. Citra is a great hop. Prices have come down lately too compared to when I bought it. Your recipe looks fine, I just keep it simple with 8 ozs. of Crystal 40.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 07:47:55 am by 4dogbrewer »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 07:51:31 am »
I think the amount of Citra is just fine, though you could probably simplify the timing of the additions with no real noticeable difference.  Maybe 60, 10, 0, dry?  Just a thought.

My bigger concern is a grain bill that comes across as a bit too muddled for my liking, though I'm not sure exactly what the end goal is here.

2-row
Munich
Crystal

That would be enough for me.  Either way, good luck and keep us posted!

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 08:15:16 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I appreciate any and all.  Not really sure what I am going for, but found this recipe either here or Homebrew, which I am also part of.  I really liked the Morebeer Citra and saw this one so I thought I would give it a try.  A member on the other forum suggested I delete the Honey, Crystal and Melanoid and add a pound of Munich.  He also suggested either using Warrior or Magnum at 60 instead of Citra.  All good stuff, and I am still looking for suggestions.  Will probably place my order for the ingredients during the week and might brew next week, so please keep it coming.  RR
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 08:18:10 am by redrocker652002 »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 08:27:53 am »
Citra is a great hop either alone, or paired with other hop varieties.

I wouldn't bother using a different hop at bittering. You get very little flavor or aroma contributions from your 60 minute addition, so I wouldn't expect to see a noticible difference from a different hop variety there. If you want to mix in a different hop variety, I'd do it with one of your late additions or in the dry hops.

Also, I don't know about all those specialty malts in the grain bill, especially for an IPA. I'd probably get rid of the Honey malt and Melanoiden malt altogether and replace them with base malt.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 09:16:13 am »
I agree on too many specialty malt. If nothing else I would personally ditch the melanoidin
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 10:41:13 am »
I would pare down the grain bill to only base malt and crystal, and change the crystal to at least 40 or a c40/c60 mix.  Maybe consider bittering with a mix of Citra and Centennial.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 10:46:25 am »
I brewed a kit from Morebeer with all citra hops and it turned out really good.  So I found this one and am going to give it a try.  I think the grain bill on this one is a bit different than the Morebeer one, so I want to see what the taste difference is.  Here is the one I found:

"Overhang IPA"

Boil time 60 mins
Est OG  1.055
Est FG 1.011
Est ABV  6.2%

Grain bill:

11lb 2 row
1lb Munich
8oz Carapils
8oz Crystal 20
8oz Melaniodin
4oz Honey malt

.7 ounces at 60
1.2oz at 15, 10, 5, 0
2.65oz at either dry hop after fermentation for 4 or 5 days or whirlpool when wort reaches 135

Yeast Bry97 (recipe call for Lutra, but as I have read my ferm temps don't get high enough to justify the extra money, and I have Bry97 on hand)

My recipe says to transfer to keg after 5 to 6 days, but that seems very fast.  Might leave it in the fermenter another week or so.

This sure seems like a lot of Citra hops but based on Brewfather the IBU is at 69 or so.  I have to go look back at some other recipes, but it seems some of my others have been higher. 

Any input on this recipe?  I know everyone has an opinion, but I am thinking of giving it a go.  Wondering if a 60 minute addition of Mosiac or Chinook or something would bring a bit more to the party?  Thoughts? 

Thanks for reading.  RR

Seems like people want you to make a different beer! 😁 I wouldn't suggest changing it as much a some have, but you should ask yourself why the caraplis and melanoidin are there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 11:03:28 am »

"Overhang IPA"

Boil time 60 mins
Est OG  1.055
Est FG 1.011
Est ABV  6.2%

Grain bill:

11lb 2 row
1lb Munich
8oz Carapils
8oz Crystal 20
8oz Melaniodin
4oz Honey malt

.7 ounces at 60
1.2oz at 15, 10, 5, 0

Thanks for reading.  RR

Seems like people want you to make a different beer! 😁 I wouldn't suggest changing it as much a some have, but you should ask yourself why the caraplis and melanoidin are there.

LOL.   It's all good Denny, I was asking for suggestions.  I only am using the Melaniodin partly because I have it from a recipe I was going to try when I first started and opted not to.  Since I am not sure what each item brings to the beer, I am not sure what would happen if I change things around.  The recipe writer said it was a hit with him and his friend, so I thought why not.  I have dug anything that had Citra in it so far and am trying to keep my hop schedule to one or two so I get a gauge on what they might bring taste wise.  So, with that said, I am taking it all in for now and will make a decision sometime during the week and order what I need.  I thought I had some BRY97 yeast but damned if I can find it now.  LOL

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2023, 11:13:31 am »
OK, so looking at my supply of grain that was left over from other brews, I have about 8oz of Crystal 20 and about 8oz of crystal 60.  If I cut the Carpils and add the two crystals how much would that change the flavor profile?  The leftover grains were put in vacuum sealed bags so I think they are still ok.  My wife used the Foodsaver.  Also, I have hop pellets that were also vacuum packed.  I have small amounts of Amarillo, Chinook and Apollo (probably about 1/4 of each).  Would any of those be a good addition instead of the Citra at 60?

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2023, 01:59:43 pm »
OK, so looking at my supply of grain that was left over from other brews, I have about 8oz of Crystal 20 and about 8oz of crystal 60.  If I cut the Carpils and add the two crystals how much would that change the flavor profile?  The leftover grains were put in vacuum sealed bags so I think they are still ok.  My wife used the Foodsaver.  Also, I have hop pellets that were also vacuum packed.  I have small amounts of Amarillo, Chinook and Apollo (probably about 1/4 of each).  Would any of those be a good addition instead of the Citra at 60?

Yeah, either/both the Chinook & Apollo would make decent bittering hops instead of Citra.  Amarillo would be nice in there too but as a late addition &/or dry hop; it plays very nicely with Citra.

Some Honey malts are kind of similar to Melanoidin, and that's a lot of either/both given how much Crystal & Munich you're talking about.  It would still make a nice beer, but I think you might like it better if you cut way back on the Meln/Honey.  (I'm guessing that based on the types of beers you often mention.) 

But all the different variations already mentioned should make a nice beer, albeit maybe a bit "richer" than a typical IPA.  Did you find your Bry-97?  I've never used Lutra, but I have a serious distrust of all strains Kveik.  Lots of yeasts could work well there, and Bry97 would be a solid option.

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2023, 02:10:55 pm »
Also, with that much Crystal in there, making sure you (a) don't mash too high, and (b) get close to that 80% attenuation with an appropriately clean-ish yeast -- will be important. 

While I think you're fine blending the C60 with C20 (and ditching the CaraPils), I would suggest less than 16oz of C malts.  It's already tending a bit rich/full for an IPA style.  I'd personally drink it, but it may not be what you're looking for, under 'IPA' expectations. 

I hope it's a great beer, whatever you end up doing.  It's well within range to make a beer that many people would love. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2023, 06:05:52 am »
OK, so based on feedback, what do you all think of this:

12lb 2 row
2lb Munich
4oz Crystal 20
4oz Crystal 60
4oz Honey malt

Hops

.5 ounces of Chinook or .5 ounces of Apollo at 60
1 oz of Citra at 15, 10, 5, 0
.5oz Amarillo at 5
2oz of Citra at dry hop after fermentation for 4 or 5 days

« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 06:30:11 am by redrocker652002 »

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2023, 07:12:24 am »

12lb 2 row
2lb Munich
4oz Crystal 20
4oz Crystal 60
4oz Honey malt

Hops

.5oz Amarillo at 5

I like the looks of this recipe much better than the original that you posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2023, 07:23:20 am »

12lb 2 row
2lb Munich
4oz Crystal 20
4oz Crystal 60
4oz Honey malt

Hops

.5oz Amarillo at 5

I like the looks of this recipe much better than the original that you posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool.   Thanks   still getting feedback and tweaking it a bit more.  will hopefully order what I need during the week for a brew day next weekend with my brother.  Rock on!!!