Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All Citra hop recipe I found  (Read 3687 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: All Citra hop recipe I found
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2023, 06:12:06 pm »
So, here is my final recipe.  Per Brewfather ABV is around 6.4% and IBU is at about 56.  I think I am in the ballpark here. 

12 pounds 2 Row
2 pounds Munich malt
4oz 60L
4oz 20L
4oz Honey Malt (game time decision on this one, the package isn't opened yet.  LOL)

Hops:
.5oz Chinook at 60
.5oz Apollo at 60
.5oz Amarillo at 10
1oz Citra at 5
1oz Citra at 1
2oz Citra Dry hop
.5oz Amarillo Dry hop

Bry97 yeast 

While I type this, I still cannot help but wonder if I am overloading the Citra, but I bought it so might as well give it a try.  Unless somebody has a really strong argument against.  LOL.  RR

Looks good,although I think I'd use either C20 or honey malt, but not both. Doesn't look like a Citra overload to me.

This.  Drop one, but don’t double down on the other.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2023, 06:12:35 pm »
I don't think I have ever tasted a beer and thought "that's too much Citra".

And this!

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2023, 07:48:39 am »
Brew day is done.  On the positive side, I was really happy with my mash temps.  I was anywhere between 147 to 155 for the whole 60 mins.  I missed my OG though.  According to Brewfather I was supposed to hit 1.061 but I ended up about 1.052.  A fair bit short, so I am either high on my efficiency number in Brewfather or low on my grain bill.  I will work on that.  But, I continued on.  It is in the bucket bubbling along next to my other batch.  I figure, even though I missed the numbers if it tastes good who cares, right?  Also, first go around with the Cambden tab.  I used about half a tab in the water before I started the mash.  Let it dissolve and went on as usual.  Would that have any effect on the OG number?  Either way, I think I did OK.  Still learning but getting my temp control a bit better.  Rock On!!!!!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2023, 09:07:26 am »
Nope, no effect
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2023, 10:00:36 am »
Brew day is done.  On the positive side, I was really happy with my mash temps.  I was anywhere between 147 to 155 for the whole 60 mins.  I missed my OG though.  According to Brewfather I was supposed to hit 1.061 but I ended up about 1.052.  A fair bit short, so I am either high on my efficiency number in Brewfather or low on my grain bill.  I will work on that.  But, I continued on.  It is in the bucket bubbling along next to my other batch.  I figure, even though I missed the numbers if it tastes good who cares, right?  Also, first go around with the Cambden tab.  I used about half a tab in the water before I started the mash.  Let it dissolve and went on as usual.  Would that have any effect on the OG number?  Either way, I think I did OK.  Still learning but getting my temp control a bit better.  Rock On!!!!!!
How were you on your pre boil and post boil volumes? These affect your gravity a lot.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2023, 12:26:43 pm »
My preboil volume was about 6.75 gallons.  Post boil was just about 5 gallons.  This has been pretty consistent the last few brews.  About a gallon and a half to a gallon and 3/4 boil off.  I guess I could have topped off to 7 gallons and run the boil for 90 mins?   Interesting though, my Brewfather says the batch volume should have been slightly over 6 gallons?  Would I be putting 6 gallons in the fermenting bucket to get 5 gallons out of it   Now I am a bit more confused.  LOL
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 12:29:57 pm by redrocker652002 »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2023, 01:46:14 pm »
My preboil volume was about 6.75 gallons.  Post boil was just about 5 gallons.  This has been pretty consistent the last few brews.  About a gallon and a half to a gallon and 3/4 boil off.  I guess I could have topped off to 7 gallons and run the boil for 90 mins?   Interesting though, my Brewfather says the batch volume should have been slightly over 6 gallons?  Would I be putting 6 gallons in the fermenting bucket to get 5 gallons out of it   Now I am a bit more confused.  LOL

I target 6 gal batches so that after dumping trub and having a few samples I still get 5 gal in the keg. Sounds like maybe you could reduce your boil.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2023, 06:32:44 am »

I target 6 gal batches so that after dumping trub and having a few samples I still get 5 gal in the keg. Sounds like maybe you could reduce your boil.

If I reduce the boil then won't that make my number even worse?  I am guessing the boil time helps to concentrate the wort and make the OG a bit hight?  Or am I wrong in that? 

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2023, 06:55:17 am »

Is that your boil-off for a 60 minute boil?  Seems rather high to me, but maybe not.

Just curious, how are you measuring these volumes? 

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2023, 06:58:03 am »
I think the point is to boil less vigorously and start with a greater amount going into the fermenter.  Your boil off rate is a bit high.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2023, 08:16:16 am »
I think the point is to boil less vigorously and start with a greater amount going into the fermenter.  Your boil off rate is a bit high.

This

www.dennybrew.com

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2023, 10:17:35 pm »

Is that your boil-off for a 60 minute boil?  Seems rather high to me, but maybe not.

Just curious, how are you measuring these volumes?

I started with 6.75 gallons in the boil kettle and ended up with 5 gallons into the bucket.  I am not sure how else to measure it. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2023, 10:21:07 pm »

Thinking back now, the boil was very vigorous.  It was what I would call a rapid boil, so maybe I should try and scale it back a bit.  Thank you for that.  Also, I have a small amount, maybe a few pints, left in the sparge pot that I did not include because I got to my 6.75 gallons in the kettle prior to boiling.  I guess I should have added that.  Also, I did a dunk sparge and left the bag in the sparge water for about 10 mins, maybe it should have been longer?  All good stuff, and I appreciate all the posts.  Still learning and still trying to work thru it.  I think I might try grinding my own and dropping the money for a decent mill.  I figure that cannot hurt to have just to be able to control the milling for better consistency, right? 

Online tommymorris

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2023, 06:12:05 am »

Thinking back now, the boil was very vigorous.  It was what I would call a rapid boil, so maybe I should try and scale it back a bit.  Thank you for that.  Also, I have a small amount, maybe a few pints, left in the sparge pot that I did not include because I got to my 6.75 gallons in the kettle prior to boiling.  I guess I should have added that.  Also, I did a dunk sparge and left the bag in the sparge water for about 10 mins, maybe it should have been longer?  All good stuff, and I appreciate all the posts.  Still learning and still trying to work thru it.  I think I might try grinding my own and dropping the money for a decent mill.  I figure that cannot hurt to have just to be able to control the milling for better consistency, right?
Leaving the bag in the sparge water for 10 minutes is not too long. I do 5 minutes.

Regarding water volumes.

You should measure the volume of liquid in the kettle right as the boil starts and right when you turn off the heat. Take the second measurement should be taken before dumping trub or anything else. This second volume is what I use to calculate efficiency.

The volume into your fermenter bucket will be less because you are probably leaving trub and some wort behind in the transfer.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2023, 08:57:02 am »
Volume also changes from hot to chilled wort - liquids expand when heated and contract when cooled.  That amount may not be considered significant, but it does play into final volume.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"