Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: re-using dryhops  (Read 3803 times)

Offline uisgue

• Assistant Brewer
re-using dryhops
« on: September 29, 2010, 08:02:10 am »
I know that dry-hopping does not isomerize (is that the right word?) the alpha acids in the hops.  My question is: are the alpha acids still in the hops afterward or are they extracted.  I have once in the past pulled the hop sack from the empty keg and put it into the freezer.  I used it as part of the bittering addition for my next batch.  I figured that the flavor and aroma were gone from the dry-hopping (but I would lose them anyway in an hour boil) while the bittering might still be available.  Any thoughts?
Doug Hickey
Crescent City, CA
Symposia Brew Corps

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: re-using dryhops
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 09:43:59 am »
I'd _guess_ that a majority, if not all, the alphas are intact.  At the very least, they won't be isomerized, which is what creates bitterness.  I think if I was going to try this, I'd want to time it so that I could reuse the hops the same day they were pulled from dry hopping.  I have nothing to base that on other than a gut feeling, but I've got a big gut....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 09:48:24 am »
Although the alpha acids won't be as soluble since they haven't been isomerized, that won't stop the lupulin from falling to the bottom of the fermenter.  Your bag might, and the hop mass will stop some, but my guess is you'll lose some.  I have no idea how much though.  I don't see any problem with doing it, especially if you're brewing the same day you remove them or you freeze the whole bag after removing it from the the beer.  I haven't done it though, so those are just my thoughts on the subject.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 09:58:25 am »
Although the alpha acids won't be as soluble since they haven't been isomerized, that won't stop the lupulin from falling to the bottom of the fermenter.  Your bag might, and the hop mass will stop some, but my guess is you'll lose some.  I have no idea how much though.  I don't see any problem with doing it, especially if you're brewing the same day you remove them or you freeze the whole bag after removing it from the the beer.  I haven't done it though, so those are just my thoughts on the subject.

Good point on the lupulin that I hadn't thought of.  I should have, since a lot of my dry hopped beers end up with a layer of lupulin on the bottom of the glass.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 10:11:48 am »
Good point on the lupulin that I hadn't thought of.  I should have, since a lot of my dry hopped beers end up with a layer of lupulin on the bottom of the glass.
Mine too, at least for the first pint or two (or five) out of the keg :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 10:52:10 am »
My wife complains that the beer isn't as good after the lupulin goes away.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 12:36:30 pm »
That's not surprising :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 06:04:01 pm »
I reused once after a dry hop. Noticed X ounces of used does not equal X ounces of fresh for bittering purposes. That was back during the massive hop-scare.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline uisgue

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 07:41:55 pm »
Thanks, this all pretty much confirms my line of thought.  Some, if not most, bitterness should still be available for later use.  It will be hard to calculate in advance.

BTW, Denny, It's your cascades that are in question here.
Doug Hickey
Crescent City, CA
Symposia Brew Corps

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 09:47:24 am »
Thanks, this all pretty much confirms my line of thought.  Some, if not most, bitterness should still be available for later use.  It will be hard to calculate in advance.

BTW, Denny, It's your cascades that are in question here.

Well, those are an unknown AA anyway, so I'd say assume they're 5%, deduct 20% after dry hopping (a total WAG!), and try bittering with 'em.  Heck, no matter what, you'll make beer!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 11:21:38 pm »
This idea seems ideal for FWH type work. That way you aren't relying entirely on their variable addition of
bitterness, no?
Ruben * Colorado :)

beveragebob

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 09:22:19 am »
That's my ROT WD, FWH is the way to go for spent dry hops. I use them mostly in IPA's and don't even consider any potential IBU's with them. The bitterer the better  ::)

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 02:07:27 pm »
Can we please throw more abbreviations into our posts?
I currently understand way too much of what everyone is saying.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 06:09:43 pm »
Can we please throw more abbreviations into our posts?
I currently understand way too much of what everyone is saying.

Me too!  :P ROTFL
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 02:32:51 pm »
Wish I could remember the exact specs, but some big guys did this experiment during Hop Crisis 07 and concluded that recycled dry hops' bitterness potential was reduced by 30% (not bad on the WAG Denny)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison