Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Antifoam 100 from these guys  (Read 5845 times)

beveragebob

Antifoam 100 from these guys
« on: November 03, 2010, 01:25:20 pm »
I'm getting a GALLON! of this stuff for 53 clams plus shipping.

http://birkocorp.com/

Please anti foam responsibly! :P

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Antifoam 100 from these guys
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 02:35:55 pm »
Sweet. How did you get to order from Birko?
Brew on

beveragebob

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 12:52:20 pm »
I just registered on their website and put the name of my old beer company in there.No one checked so, I guess you can just put the name of your brewery in there and see what happens.

beveragebob

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 06:51:36 pm »
So is anybody going to go in on this. I think it's a great deal!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 07:13:38 pm »
I'm talking to a couple guys in the club about getting a gal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

beveragebob

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 08:20:14 pm »
Great. I'm glad I dug in on this one. I've done a few high gravity beers and no foam whatsoever in the fermenters. It's cool to watch the wort churn when looking down into the bucket. I've found that using 5-6 drops from an eye dropper works marvelous. I've yet to use it in the boil kettle yet but, I will over the next few days and report on effective usage for that too. No more boilovers....YAY! It's good to be back in the antifoam zone! Oh yeah, when you register with the site they want to talk to you on the phone. Put your brewery name in your case DC, Poodle Creek and when you talk to them on the phone tell them your a nano-brewery getting off the ground.  They also have products with a comparison chart to 5-Star in bulk. Have fun saving money!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:22:20 pm by beveragebob »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 09:23:19 am »
Thanks for the info, Bob!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

beveragebob

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 12:44:55 am »
OK I brewed the other day and didn't have a chance to post so, here it is...in my 15.5 gallon "keggle" I added 6 drops just as the hot break was coming up. In my 10 gallon B3 boil kettle, I used the same amount. The results were no worry boils. I did notice something different about the Anti-foam 100 and what I used to get from Williams is that it will separate in the container between a clear liquid and the white portion. It's no big deal and it does say on the package that you need to shake/mix it before use. With the tremendous economy of scale this has provided, I don't see this as a big deal. There was also an issue where it was stated by a pro brewer on a pro forum that the finished beer needs to be filtered when using this so, I did an experiment. I filled a pint glass with hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid and as it was filling and creating foam, I added 6 drops and the foam dissipated. I let it sit for thirty minutes, I then gently poured the liquid down the drain and saw that the antifoam was all stuck to the bottom of the glass. I had to use a sponge scrubbie and a paper towel to get it out so, It looks like it acts just like the Williams stuff in that regard. I also checked the MSDS specs which indicated even if consumed it is inert to the human physiology. One more thing, in the explosive high gravity beers I made, I did have to make two additions to quell the violent yeast reactions for a total of 10-12 drops per fermenter.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:02:22 pm by beveragebob »

beveragebob

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 03:16:24 pm »
Here's the text version of the MSDS extracted from a pdf file:

Page 1 of 4

Page 1 of 4
9/21/2009

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET

BIRKO Corporation

1. CHEMICAL PRODUCT AND COMPANY
IDENTIFICATION
Product Name: BIRKO Antifoam 100
Product Code: I00058

Manufacturer Emergency Phone Numbers
BIRKO Corporation
9152 Yosemite Street

Transportation:
Henderson, CO 80640

CHEMTREC (800) 424-9300

(303) 289-1090
Non-Transportation:
www.birkocorp.com
BIRKO (303) 289-1090

(800) 525-0476
2. COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
CAS #
Component Exposure Limit
None PEL None

3. PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL
PROPERTIES
Physical Form Liquid
Color Off-white translucent
Odor Odorless
Boiling Point >300 F
Freeze Point Not Established
Water Solubility Complete
Specific Gravity 1.02
Vapor Pressure Not Established
Vapor Density > 1
Evaporation Rate < 1

NFPA Ratings

Blue -Health Hazard Red -Fire Hazard Yellow -Reactivity White -Specific Hazard

4 -Deadly 4 -Flash Point < 73°F 4 -May Detonate
3 -Extreme Danger 3 -Flash Point > 73°F and < 100°F 3 -Shock or Heat may Detonate ACID -Acid
2 -Hazardous 2 -Flash Point > 100°F and < 200°F 2 -Violent Chemical Change ALK -Alkali
1 -Slightly Hazardous 1 -Flash Point > 200°F 1 -Unstable If Heated COR -Corrosive
0 -Insignificant Hazard 0 -Noncombustible 0 -Stable OXY -Oxidizer

P -Polymerization

^^^ -Radioactive

-Use No Water

http://birko-2u/BirkoWebPage/msds.asp?idnum=36

4/27/2010

Page 2 of 4

Page 2 of 4
FIREFIGHTING MEASURES
Flash Point >200 °F (TCC)
Extinguishing Media Water, Carbon Dioxide, Dry Chemical, Foam Blanket
Special Procedures Always wear self -contained breathing apparatus when fighting a chemical fire.
Unusual Fire/Explosion

Carbon Monoxide / Carbon Dioxide gases (toxic) liberated during combustion.

Hazard

5. REACTIVITY
This product should maintain its physical character when stored closed at moderate
Stability

temperatures, between 28 °F and 105 °F.
Hazardous

This product does not polymerize under normal storage and use conditions.

Polymerization
Incompatible Materials Oxidizers
Decomposition

Carbon Monoxide / Carbon Dioxide gases (toxic) liberated during combustion.

Products
HMIS Personal Protective Index

1 FLAMMABILITY
0 HEALTH
0 REACTIVITY
A Personal Protection
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
X Ask your supervisor
4 -Severe
3 -Serious
2 -Moderate
Airline Dust +

Safety Face Splash Synthetic Dust Vapor

Hazard Index Hood or Gloves Vapor Full Suit Boots

Glasses Shield Goggles Apron Respirator Respirator

Mask Respirator

1 -Slight
0 -Minimal

6. POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS
Routes of Entry Eye contact, Skin contact, Inhalation, Ingestion
Acute / Chronic Although this product is not likely to be immediately harmful on inhalation, one should take
Inhalation measures to avoid the inhalation of any foreign substance.

Acute / Chronic Skin

If allowed to remain on skin for extended periods of time irritation may occur.

Contact

Acute / Chronic Eye

4/27/2010

Page 3 of 4

Page 3 of 4

Ingestion No health hazards anticipated with ingestion of this product.

7. FIRST AID MEASURES
Remove from exposure. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult. Resuscitate if necessary. Get
Inhalation

medical help immediately.

Promptly Rinse exposed areas with water. Do not wear contaminated clothing until it has been

Skin Contact

laundered. If irritation persists, consult physician.

Immediately rinse eyes thoroughly in cool running water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation

Eye Contact

persists, or inflammation or swelling occurs, seek medical attention.

DO NOT induce vomiting. Have a conscious victim drink milk or water to dilute. Never give an

Ingestion

unconscious person anything by mouth. Get medical help immediately.

8. ACCIDENTAL RELEASE MEASURES
Avoid open flames. Captured liquid may be submitted to approved disposal contractor for incineration. Alternatively, absorb
material into earth, clay, or commercial absorbent. Contain absorbent for disposal.

9. WASTE DISPOSAL CONSIDERATIONS
Dispose in approved landfill according to Federal, State, and Local Regulations.
10. HANDLING AND STORAGE
Do not contaminate food, feed, or natural water. Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a cool, dry location.
Supplier not responsible for disposition of this product. Do not reuse container.

11. EXPOSURE CONTROLS / PERSONAL PROTECTION
Eye Protection Safety Glasses
Skin Protection No skin protection is required

Respiratory Protection NIOSH approved self contained breathing apparatus for exposure above PEL.

Ventilation General exhaust acceptable if PEL not exceeded.

12. TSCA CERTIFICATION
Birko Corporation certifies that all ingredients in this chemical formulation comply with all applicable rules or orders under
TSCA and that we are not offering a chemical substance for entry in violation of TSCA or any applicable rule or order under
TSCA.

13. APPROVALS
Reason for Issue Amendments
Prepared By Terry McAninch, Chemist
Approved By Mark Swanson
Title Chief Operating Officer

4/27/2010

Page 4 of 4

Page 4 of 4

4/27/2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 04:25:21 pm »
Thanks for that, Bob.  Do you see any useful info in there?  Nothing about the composition of it hit me.

www.dennybrew.com

beveragebob

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 05:00:01 pm »
DC, this is what they say on their website:

"A proprietary blend of antifoam compounds with the capacity to prevent foam or kill it immediately. Unlike similar products it works equally well in both oil-based and water-based systems. Acceptable for use in food processing and is ideally suited for use in the brewery in brewkettles, fermentors and blow-off buckets. "

It seems to me that they are very protective of their formula. I'll take a closer look at the bottle so, maybe I can glean more info. WAG is that it is food grade silicone in some sort of food grade emulsion prep.

Just found this email I got from the rep:
"Good morning, Bob.  The MSDS is attached.  Please keep in mind that there are no ingredients listed in the hazardous materials section of the MSDS because we only list the OSHA reportable ingredients, none of which are in BIRKO Antifoam 100.  Please let me know if you have any questions or comments."

My interpretation is that there is nothing hazardous in the product besides being a minor skin and eye irritant if you don't flush it off for more than 10 or 15 minutes.

Ok, here we go, this is what it says on the back label:
"Blended Silicone Compound Defoamer for Rendering, food processing and fermentation reactions.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 05:18:08 pm by beveragebob »