Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WHY DO YOU ENTER HOMEBREW COMPS? WHY NOT?  (Read 1991 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: WHY DO YOU ENTER HOMEBREW COMPS? WHY NOT?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2023, 12:21:07 pm »
I answered the survey.

So did I, and in my survey I asked the same question as Fred.  Not that it matters.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2023, 03:19:25 pm »
THE WCFA IS LOOKING FOR WAYS TO ENCOURAGE MORE WOMEN & NON BINARY FOLKS TO ENTER HOMEBREW COMPS
AND WE NEED YOUR HELP TO DO IT!

Hey all, my name is Michele Wonder and I am an avid homebrewer of 4 years, the co-founder of the Women's Intl Beer Summit and Media Director for the Women's Craft Fermentation Alliance.

I am in the midst of creating a brewing initiative to help educate, encourage and enable women and non binary homebrewers to enter, compete and win in more homebrew comps. Last year when the NHC list of winners came out I quickly scanned through and not a single female sounding name was on that list. I really want to change that!

I have created a brief survey to help identify why folks do or do not enter comps; what tools they need or roadblocks they have to overcome in order to participate. https://tinyurl.com/3ppa6n6y It is brief and should take no more than 2-3 minutes to fill out.

Please note that this survey is NOT restricted to just women or non-binary folks, it is essential that we learn from men who homebrew as well.

There is a question about gender identity that is not required to fill out but we find most folks have chosen to do so. We will be able to split up the data and see who's who in the answers. It will be 100% anonymous on the distribution and discussion of the data gleaned from this survey, we do ask for an email at the end ONLY if you'd like to be considered to win a free registration to WIBS 23.

We would very much appreciate if you all would consider contributing to this data set. Finding out why people do or do not enter comps will go along way towards encouraging those who may be intimidated or feel they aren't valued or their beer isn't good enough (HAHAHA, every judged a homebrew comp?) the knowledge, tools and confidence to participate!

Thanks ya'll and hope to see some of you at WIBS 23: A Craft Fermentation Summit held online in Fall 2023. If you are curious about the types of content WIBS provides check out some of our past sessions at our YouTube page. https://tinyurl.com/37kkuw2b

Thanks--Michele Wonder
michele.wcfa@gmail.com

why are you looking for ways to do so? sincerely, why?
Why not?

lol, i was writing a reply, and i understand where youre coming from but i have a lot of reasoning for my question, it both as a rhetorical point and as a serious question, but i see the one big comment was deleted or removed, so i wont post it here. if you want to know you can PM me or not, either way. :)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2023, 03:36:06 pm »
THE WCFA IS LOOKING FOR WAYS TO ENCOURAGE MORE WOMEN & NON BINARY FOLKS TO ENTER HOMEBREW COMPS
AND WE NEED YOUR HELP TO DO IT!

Hey all, my name is Michele Wonder and I am an avid homebrewer of 4 years, the co-founder of the Women's Intl Beer Summit and Media Director for the Women's Craft Fermentation Alliance.

I am in the midst of creating a brewing initiative to help educate, encourage and enable women and non binary homebrewers to enter, compete and win in more homebrew comps. Last year when the NHC list of winners came out I quickly scanned through and not a single female sounding name was on that list. I really want to change that!

I have created a brief survey to help identify why folks do or do not enter comps; what tools they need or roadblocks they have to overcome in order to participate. https://tinyurl.com/3ppa6n6y It is brief and should take no more than 2-3 minutes to fill out.

Please note that this survey is NOT restricted to just women or non-binary folks, it is essential that we learn from men who homebrew as well.

There is a question about gender identity that is not required to fill out but we find most folks have chosen to do so. We will be able to split up the data and see who's who in the answers. It will be 100% anonymous on the distribution and discussion of the data gleaned from this survey, we do ask for an email at the end ONLY if you'd like to be considered to win a free registration to WIBS 23.

We would very much appreciate if you all would consider contributing to this data set. Finding out why people do or do not enter comps will go along way towards encouraging those who may be intimidated or feel they aren't valued or their beer isn't good enough (HAHAHA, every judged a homebrew comp?) the knowledge, tools and confidence to participate!

Thanks ya'll and hope to see some of you at WIBS 23: A Craft Fermentation Summit held online in Fall 2023. If you are curious about the types of content WIBS provides check out some of our past sessions at our YouTube page. https://tinyurl.com/37kkuw2b

Thanks--Michele Wonder
michele.wcfa@gmail.com

why are you looking for ways to do so? sincerely, why?
Why not?

lol, i was writing a reply, and i understand where youre coming from but i have a lot of reasoning for my question, it both as a rhetorical point and as a serious question, but i see the one big comment was deleted or removed, so i wont post it here. if you want to know you can PM me or not, either way. :)

WHAT? Someone deleted your comment? That's terrible.  Lemme look.  If it has been deleted I can recover it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2023, 03:37:38 pm »
OK, I don't know what happened but I can tell you no comments were deleted.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2023, 07:00:21 pm »
There are two similar threads happening, I wonder if Fred thought a long post there was here and thought it was deleted?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2023, 07:32:13 pm »

There are two similar threads happening, I wonder if Fred thought a long post there was here and thought it was deleted?

errr, i think that was the case. ill look and see if i can find the other one. i recall someone i think BB having a rundown of his thoughts on it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2023, 08:10:13 am »
I haven't yet participated in competitions but had been planning to, primarily for the critical feedback.  It's disheartening that I hear a lot of stories regarding the lack of helpful feedback from these competition judges.

My suggestion is to
1) ignore old anecdotal stories on competition feedback, and
2) unless otherwise stated, assume the competition is just that (and feedback will be minimal). 

In 2022, for the competitions that I follow, the competition web site often contained a link to the electronic scoresheet participants will receive. 

In 2023, if I enter a competition and I don't see that information at the competition web site, I will ask them.

Usually, you only hear about bad experiences,  not good ones.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline NadoBrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2023, 04:13:25 pm »
I don't enter competitions for two reasons.

One is I am afraid of my beers getting bad reviews....my friends definitely are not good beer judges based on them drinking my worst brews.

Second is I almost rarely brew a beer to style. I like to experiment with my beers using alternative fermentables...also a reason why I have had some beers that didn't quite measure up.

I might enter competitions once I get my beer setup fully squared away when I buy my home.