Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Look Ahead - 2023 and the American Homebrewers Association  (Read 5107 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
A Look Ahead - 2023 and the American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2023, 10:47:21 am »
lobbying (… state level)

Lobbying is exactly what they do.

Has this changed? I have been told in the past on this forum that the AHA does not lobby at the state level.  …that they leave it up to local organizations/clubs/individuals to lobby their legislators/governors.  …that they leave it up to me. …that the last thing state level government wants is outside organizations to lobby for a cause in their state.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: A Look Ahead - 2023 and the American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2023, 11:46:48 am »
lobbying (… state level)

Has this changed? I have been told in the past on this forum that the AHA does not lobby at the state level.  …that they leave it up to local organizations/clubs/individuals to lobby their legislators/governors.  …that they leave it up to me. …that the last thing state level government wants is outside organizations to lobby for a cause in their state.

You are correct. I was thinking of the shipping issue. The lobbying happens at the federal level. There isn't a need for state level lobbying anyway, since homebrewing has been legal in all 50 states since 2013.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 11:49:11 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2023, 12:06:56 pm »
lobbying (… state level)

You are correct. I was thinking of the shipping issue. The lobbying happens at the federal level. There isn't a need for state level lobbying anyway, since homebrewing has been legal in all 50 states since 2013.
You could certainly argue that there is a need to lobby on a state level as the proposed federal changes, I believe, leave open the ability of states to ban shipping of alcohol. The wording in the AHA article does not indicate directly that they lobby. It basically says they "support" clubs, individuals, and such to change state laws. I would like to learn more about this. Support can be a wide variety of actions, from the completely ineffectual to very robust and successful.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2023, 12:53:57 pm »
lobbying (… state level)

You could certainly argue that there is a need to lobby on a state level as the proposed federal changes, I believe, leave open the ability of states to ban shipping of alcohol. The wording in the AHA article does not indicate directly that they lobby. It basically says they "support" clubs, individuals, and such to change state laws. I would like to learn more about this. Support can be a wide variety of actions, from the completely ineffectual to very robust and successful.

What would you like to know? I was involved in getting our state laws changed with AHA support. Other forum members have done the same their states

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2023, 01:01:55 pm »
lobbying (… state level)

What would you like to know? I was involved in getting our state laws changed with AHA support. Other forum members have done the same their states
We are talking about legalizing shipping of homebrew as mentioned in the article linked in the O.P. So I am wondering what the AHA, right now and in the near future, is doing to support changing laws in this regard. The article in the E.D.'s "Director's Cut" made clear they were doing something, but I would be interested in more details.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2023, 01:19:48 pm »
lobbying (… state level)

We are talking about legalizing shipping of homebrew as mentioned in the article linked in the O.P. So I am wondering what the AHA, right now and in the near future, is doing to support changing laws in this regard. The article in the E.D.'s "Director's Cut" made clear they were doing something, but I would be interested in more details.

Shipping is a federal issue, so you can't address it at the state level. I could fill you in, but I don't want to be risk violating my NDA.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 01:25:59 pm by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2023, 01:24:34 pm »
lobbying (… state level)

Shipping is a federal issue, so you can't address it at the state level. I could fill you in, but I don't want to be threatened with violating my NDA.
My understanding is that it is a federal and state issue. If the federal law allows shipping by USPS states can still choose to not allow it in their states. That is already happening with the carriers that do currently allow shipping of alcohol. You can't get it in every state. I read the article a few days ago but that's how I remember it.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2023, 05:50:42 pm »
There isn't a need for state level lobbying anyway, since homebrewing has been legal in all 50 states since 2013.

I disagree. It's legal, yes. But there's tremendous variation in what's allowed (how much you can brew, how much you can have on hand, can it legally leave your home, etc, etc) in each state. There's still work to be done at the state level.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2023, 07:14:17 pm »
There isn't a need for state level lobbying anyway, since homebrewing has been legal in all 50 states since 2013.

I disagree. It's legal, yes. But there's tremendous variation in what's allowed (how much you can brew, how much you can have on hand, can it legally leave your home, etc, etc) in each state. There's still work to be done at the state level.
There is plenty to do in Alabama. We have very few competitions here because the rules around them require too much red tape.

In Mississippi, where I used to live, we had lots of small competitions. Those were fun because you knew everyone.

We also are limited to brewing 15 gallons a quarter and we can only have 15 gallons of home brewed beer in our house. We can store all the commercial beer we want. That part of the law is commonly ignored, but it’s definitely stupid and what if someone gets cited for this someday? That would be ridiculous.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2023, 08:03:52 pm »
There is plenty to do in Alabama. We have very few competitions here because the rules around them require too much red tape.

In Mississippi, where I used to live, we had lots of small competitions. Those were fun because you knew everyone.

We also are limited to brewing 15 gallons a quarter and we can only have 15 gallons of home brewed beer in our house. We can store all the commercial beer we want. That part of the law is commonly ignored, but it’s definitely stupid and what if someone gets cited for this someday? That would be ridiculous.

Alabama was where I was thinking of most. It's where I started homebrewing (and where I'm probably moving back to next year).  Everyone agrees the law is dumb in many ways. As far as I can tell, ABC has no interest in enforcing it, but it's still on the books.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2023, 08:57:27 pm »
This is another great reason why the AHA needs local chapters. The AHA can lobby local needs if they are local.

If the local chapter of NORML (among others) can get medical cannabis passed in AL, I believe ANYTHING can happen.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2023, 02:28:37 pm »
IL only allows you to serve 3x 2 oz samples to the public with a permit. I know there are clubs out there that ignore that, but my club and I don't want to skirt the law. We'd be doing more educational/charitable outreach if that wasn't so strict. I'm sure there's a legal loophole or two we could use, but we don't want to raise any negative attention.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Skeeter686

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2023, 03:17:54 pm »
IL only allows you to serve 3x 2 oz samples to the public with a permit. I know there are clubs out there that ignore that, but my club and I don't want to skirt the law. We'd be doing more educational/charitable outreach if that wasn't so strict. I'm sure there's a legal loophole or two we could use, but we don't want to raise any negative attention.

One of the many joys of living in one of the most corrupt states in the nation.  As I understand it, the law was originally going to be much more reasonable until Big Beer greased some political palms.

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2023, 04:23:24 pm »

There are approximately 100K federal laws on the books. I don't think the ATF (Fed or State) is looking to bust your local club. Pour the friggin beer  without worry! 

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2023, 06:27:37 pm »

One of the many joys of living in one of the most corrupt states in the nation.  As I understand it, the law was originally going to be much more reasonable until Big Beer greased some political palms.

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk
Hey, only 4 out the last 10 governors have been arrested.

It's not the ATF I'm concerned about, there is also the state liquor commission (maybe the city as well?). We also do most of our events in conjunction with other groups that get special event liquor licenses, so I'd hate to do anything that might jeopardize their ability to get liquor licenses in the future.