Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mesh Sizes for Bacbrewing Braumeister Increase Disks?  (Read 509 times)

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
Mesh Sizes for Bacbrewing Braumeister Increase Disks?
« on: January 15, 2023, 02:00:16 pm »
I bought a 20L Braumeister and then fell in love with Old Rasputin imperial stout. I will now have to make an imperial of my own. Of course, a Braumeister has a limited capacity, and that makes big beers problematic. I would rather not go back to a kettle, because I no longer have any sparging equipment. I got some advice here about using extract to cheat, but if I could get the poundage up as high as possible, I could use a lot less extract, and that would help me sleep better.

I learned that a company called Bacbrewing makes a disk that goes inside a Braumeister malt pipe and allows you to increase the amount of malt you can use. You can go from 13.2 pounds to 16.3. The problem is that they make two versions. One has a fine screen, and the other has a coarse screen. Their website looks like it was translated by the guy who writes Harbor Freight manuals, because it's pretty garbled.

Does anyone here know why a person would choose one screen over the other?
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Mesh Sizes for Bacbrewing Braumeister Increase Disks?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 03:36:52 pm »
Just speculation: course mesh for recirculating/step mashes and fine mesh for single infusion?

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Mesh Sizes for Bacbrewing Braumeister Increase Disks?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 02:40:17 pm »
Your guess is as good as mine.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.