Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: EVAbarrier Beer Line Length for Keezer?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
EVAbarrier Beer Line Length for Keezer?
« on: January 15, 2023, 02:48:49 pm »
I am pretty confused about beer line length.

I am building a 5-tap keezer with 4mm ID EVAbarrier tubing. I will have 4 Perlick 650SS taps and one stout tap, maker unknown. I have not kegged anything for about 16 years, so I'm not sure what pressure I used to use. I thought I'd just go with 10 psi for the Perlicks since I saw that number on the web a lot.

I'm planning to start at 42 degrees for no particular reason. The plan is to have one stout, one lager, a wheat, and an ale or two most of the time. I figure it's better to serve an ale a little too cold than to serve a lager too warm.

I see people online coming up with different figures that aren't very close, so my impression is that most people don't know what they're doing. I saw a guy on HBT saying he uses ~10 feet for every beer. Reasonable?
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.

Offline Skeeter686

• Cellarman
Re: EVAbarrier Beer Line Length for Keezer?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 04:05:28 pm »
There are some fairly involved beer line length calculators out there.  I maintain my ales at a higher temperature and pressure, which looks like it should carbonate to basically the same level as what you should be getting at 42°/10.  My lines are about 6-7 feet.  I believe my lines are 3/16" which is similar to your 4mm.  Seems to me like 10' lines might be a touch long for you.

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 06:44:33 pm »
Thanks. I think I'll do 10 feet on one and then cut it down to see where I end up.

Not sure how things work with a stout faucet.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 08:04:21 am »
I just recently swapped out all of my beer line for EVAbarrier and Duotight fittings. I used 5' of 4mm ID EVAbarrier and it has worked out well.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 02:29:24 pm »
I still have my beer on a 6-foot EVAbarrier line, but today it poured beautifully. Just magnificent. The head was a thing of beauty. No flatness.

I have the regulator on 6 psi. Maybe it's wrong, or maybe this ale wants 6 psi.

This beer is wonderful. This is what I was missing during all those years when I was forced to drink factory beer. Even the microbrews were unsatisfying. There is something about a beer that's exactly what you want.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.