Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sparging  (Read 602 times)

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
Sparging
« on: January 19, 2023, 04:20:02 am »
All my brews have been full volume water with brew in a bag. I really want to give sparking a try. However space is very limited. So after doing some research I have found I could try using room temp water for sparging. Has anyone tried it before ? If so what was your results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Sparging
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 07:34:26 am »
All my brews have been full volume water with brew in a bag. I really want to give sparking a try. However space is very limited. So after doing some research I have found I could try using room temp water for sparging. Has anyone tried it before ? If so what was your results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use room temperature water to sparge my BIAB. I end up with the same O G that I used to get with a square cooler and a bazooka screen with batch sparging. 8 gravity points per pound compared to 7 when I didn't sparge my first BIAB batch.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 09:37:12 am »
I heat my full volume of water to strike temperature, then remove 1/2 gallon to a separate container. After I pull out the bag and place it in a colander in a bucket I use the removed water to sparge. The water is still warm at that point. I have noticed an increase in my mash efficiency by a few percentage points when I do this (from ~81% to ~86%). If I am short on volume I will sparge a bit more with tap water.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 12:46:59 pm »
FYI this thread is duplicated for some reason and people are responding to the same OP in two threads.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.