Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Timing question  (Read 824 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Timing question
« on: January 20, 2023, 09:41:55 am »
As I sit here and drink my coffee, I am pondering something.  If most yeast is done fermenting in 3 or 4 days, at least that is what I have read, why do we leave the now fermented beer in the carboy or bucket for up to 3 weeks or more?  I don't mind, and am planning on doing that for my two brews that are currently in the buckets, but I was just curious why?  Is it to help to mature the tastes?  Get a good mixture of the malts and the hops?  I also need to dry hop each and will do that probably early next week so I can keg and bottle my brews next weekend.  But, I have a lot of free time and random stuff just enters my mind.  I am looking forward to the feedback.  RR

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Timing question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 10:09:38 am »
As I sit here and drink my coffee, I am pondering something.  If most yeast is done fermenting in 3 or 4 days, at least that is what I have read, why do we leave the now fermented beer in the carboy or bucket for up to 3 weeks or more?  I don't mind, and am planning on doing that for my two brews that are currently in the buckets, but I was just curious why?  Is it to help to mature the tastes?  Get a good mixture of the malts and the hops?  I also need to dry hop each and will do that probably early next week so I can keg and bottle my brews next weekend.  But, I have a lot of free time and random stuff just enters my mind.  I am looking forward to the feedback.  RR

Yeah, damn good question, huh? Many of is don't. The old myth persists for others. The beeris done when it's done. The beer decides that, not the calendar.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 10:13:20 am »
So, once the gravity stays the same for a test or two, beer is done?  No real advantage to leaving it in longer than that? 

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 10:19:35 am »

leaving in extended primaries is just old dogma. I spund my beers and my primaries are less than a week.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 10:40:19 am »
So, once the gravity stays the same for a test or two, beer is done?  No real advantage to leaving it in longer than that?

That is my experience and what I do.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 10:56:15 am »
Cool   Thanks guys.  I will check my gravity in the next day or two and maybe dry hop Sunday or monday.  I'd love to get these kegged and bottled in the next week or so. 

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 12:36:05 pm »
In my opinion, the rule of thumb that a beer is done fermenting when the gravity stays the same for three days is still great guidance.  Using a tilt I can see the gravity stop changing after 3-4 days, but I think yeast continue to cleanup for the next couple of days. The rule of thumb allows for the cleanup.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 12:49:49 pm »
In my opinion, the rule of thumb that a beer is done fermenting when the gravity stays the same for three days is still great guidance.  Using a tilt I can see the gravity stop changing after 3-4 days, but I think yeast continue to cleanup for the next couple of days. The rule of thumb allows for the cleanup.

I asked John Palmer about that.  He said that once the fermentables are gone (FG), there's nothing left for the yeast to use for cleanup.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2023, 01:08:56 pm »

I asked John Palmer about that.  He said that once the fermentables are gone (FG), there's nothing left for the yeast to use for cleanup.
How do you know when you’re at FG?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2023, 01:19:12 pm »

How do you know when you’re at FG?

Your best guess and watching for the SG to stop changing.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2023, 01:43:00 pm »
Cool.  Lots of differing opinions.  I like it. 

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2023, 02:01:08 pm »
   Waiting a couple days after reaching "final" allows healthy yeast to clean up diacetyl, if it's present. Technically speaking, in eating the diacetyl, the SG will be lowered, but usually by an amount that is too small to detect with hydrometers or hydrometers used by most home brewers. Depending on individual sensitivity, IIRC, it only takes a few PPM for diacetyl to be detectable.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2023, 02:13:10 pm »
I taste it when it looks done.  I package it when it's definitely done.  I preferably drink it when it tastes as good as it's gonna get.

There is no set number of days for ANY of these things.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2023, 03:27:19 pm »
I taste it when it looks done.  I package it when it's definitely done.  I preferably drink it when it tastes as good as it's gonna get.

There is no set number of days for ANY of these things.

THIS!!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2023, 04:52:29 pm »

I question John Palmer's statement- just because there aren't sugars in solution outside of yeast cells doesn't mean that there aren't sugars to drive metabolism inside  of yeast cells.  I can still have a metabolism without having a meal.  I'm a biologist so maybe I have more info than Palmer, you decide.

If clear, non-yeasty beer is your goal then waiting a bit (3 weeks might be too long in many cases) for the yeast to drop before packaging isn't a bad idea. 

I'm lagering a few beers right now as my lager beers tend to improve with some time before tapping the kegs.