Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hanna HI99301 pH/ ORP  (Read 567 times)

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
Hanna HI99301 pH/ ORP
« on: January 21, 2023, 10:42:53 am »
What a difference a week makes.
Bought this meter that retails for $525   plus tax ($388 probe alone) 13 months ago. Used it for about 20 beer worts, 2 times each, and a few beer pH.
I cleaned the probe with Hanna solution and stores the probe in Hanna storage solution.
Meter worked for 13 months perfectly, holding calibration well.
All of a sudden, on 16Feb2023 it stopped working (Wrong Probe error).
Hanna technical support told me that the probe is fried and I need a new probe.
I asked whether I was unlucky to have a bad probe and Hanna stated that the expected life of the probe is 12-18 months and the warranty is 6 months.
I will be changing pH meter brand, but if you can spare $400 every 6-12 months for a pH meter, this is the meter for you. :-)

Note: ORP was too variable in this meter to make sense even in situations with no enzymatic or metabolic activity.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Hanna HI99301 pH/ ORP
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 02:04:12 pm »
What a difference a week makes.
Bought this meter that retails for $525   plus tax ($388 probe alone) 13 months ago. Used it for about 20 beer worts, 2 times each, and a few beer pH.
I cleaned the probe with Hanna solution and stores the probe in Hanna storage solution.
Meter worked for 13 months perfectly, holding calibration well.
All of a sudden, on 16Feb2023 it stopped working (Wrong Probe error).
Hanna technical support told me that the probe is fried and I need a new probe.
I asked whether I was unlucky to have a bad probe and Hanna stated that the expected life of the probe is 12-18 months and the warranty is 6 months.
I will be changing pH meter brand, but if you can spare $400 every 6-12 months for a pH meter, this is the meter for you. :-)

Note: ORP was too variable in this meter to make sense even in situations with no enzymatic or metabolic activity.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

that sucks, i hate weak warranties like this. i mean 6 months is effectively just a warranty that it wasn't broken upon purchase. too bad and thanks for the note, i plan to buy a pH meter soon. likely will not be even close to 500 dollars lol.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 04:32:20 pm »
… if you can spare $400 every 6-12 months for a pH meter, this is the meter for you. :-)

. I thought Hanna was a bit more reputable that this.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 05:04:45 pm »
… if you can spare $400 every 6-12 months for a pH meter, this is the meter for you. :-)

. I thought Hanna was a bit more reputable that this.
I did too.
I now have a titanium enclosure to a worthless pH meter.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 05:48:14 am »
I owned a Hanna for several years and always had issues with the cap NOT sealing; the meter would grow that white crystal around the edge.  As a result, I had to regularly open it just to replenish the storage solution.  Then, I went to replace the probe for the second time and Hanna wanted $50 for the probe (okay) and another $10+ to ship it using FedEx.  I asked why they couldn’t use a more reasonable carrier — like USPS — and was told “their contract was with FedEx”.  They could have saved me a couple bucks, but refused.  I told them to stick their meters….

So, I bought a pH meter from ExTech.  It was much cheaper than the Hanna, it’s reliable, accurate, came with a stand to store the meter and the cap seals very well.  The best part is the replacement probe is sold on Amazon and ships for free with Prime for the same cost as the Hanna replacement probe.

Hanna, imho, seems to be to wrapped up in their own success to care about their customers.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 07:38:15 am »
I owned a Hanna for several years and always had issues with the cap NOT sealing; the meter would grow that white crystal around the edge.  As a result, I had to regularly open it just to replenish the storage solution.  Then, I went to replace the probe for the second time and Hanna wanted $50 for the probe (okay) and another $10+ to ship it using FedEx.  I asked why they couldn’t use a more reasonable carrier — like USPS — and was told “their contract was with FedEx”.  They could have saved me a couple bucks, but refused.  I told them to stick their meters….

So, I bought a pH meter from ExTech.  It was much cheaper than the Hanna, it’s reliable, accurate, came with a stand to store the meter and the cap seals very well.  The best part is the replacement probe is sold on Amazon and ships for free with Prime for the same cost as the Hanna replacement probe.

Hanna, imho, seems to be to wrapped up in their own success to care about their customers.
Thanks.
Agreed.