Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Shiny Valves Better Than Old Brass Valves?  (Read 651 times)

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
New Shiny Valves Better Than Old Brass Valves?
« on: January 23, 2023, 06:17:10 pm »
My old regulators have the cheap valves with black diamond-shaped handles. One pooped out on me, and CO2 leaked continuously. I am now interested in removing these valves. Are the new chromed ones with the red handles any better? I would like to go to MFL fittings and run them to Duotight connectors and EVAbarrier.

Looks like it will not be easy to unscrew the old valves from the regulator bodies.

Also, I have seen people complaining about barbs and hose clamps. Are they the best tools to use to move CO2? My new secondary regulator has a barb, and I would rather replace it with an MFL fitting than run for CO2 twice a month.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: New Shiny Valves Better Than Old Brass Valves?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 07:42:18 pm »
I don't know about the valves themselves, but I hate hose clamps and barbs. I have used them many times throughout my career and I don't trust them because I have had too many problems. I switched to a manifold with flare fittings and have gone with Duotight and EVA barrier tubing (almost) everywhere and am very happy. The only place I didn't get rid of the barb and clamp was on the output of the regulator. I didn't see any reason to toss a good regulator so I have a short bit of hose that converts from the barb to a flare, so there is one hose clamp left in my system. It is in a place that doesn't get any flexing or stress so it has been fine, but someday I would like to be rid of it, too.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 09:11:44 am »
My system now has a 4-body secondary regulator with only one output connected to a keg. The regulator input is a hose and barb with a worm-drive clamp. I'm pretty sure that connection is good. On the way out of the regulator, there is a brass valve with a black diamond knob. I don't trust the valve. Everything else is Duotight and EVAbarrier, and today it looks like I've lost gas.

I ordered an assortment of stepped clamps, but I still think that valve is the problem. It has occurred to me that I may not have put Teflon on the tank threads, so I will also check that.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 02:09:57 pm »
Here's one thing that definitely did not improve my system: I forgot to put a washer in the valve. When I got back to brewing, I hooked the regulator up to see if everything worked, and I thought, "Shouldn't there be some kind of gasket or something in there?" Yes, there should.I had forgotten all about it.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.