Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Look Ahead - 2023 and the American Homebrewers Association  (Read 5063 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: A Look Ahead - 2023 and the American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2023, 11:38:45 am »
Insurance coverage is also a significant issue for many events..."just pouring the beer" without giving thought about the potential liability merits re-consideration.  Unfortunately, we live in a litigious society, so ignoring rules can put you in hot water.

That said, I think many states should loosen up the rules when it comes to serving homebrew and let self-control or lack of it be the responsibility of the "self" who is consuming the homebrew.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Brent Langdon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2023, 02:02:07 pm »
There isn't a need for state level lobbying anyway, since homebrewing has been legal in all 50 states since 2013.

I disagree. It's legal, yes. But there's tremendous variation in what's allowed (how much you can brew, how much you can have on hand, can it legally leave your home, etc, etc) in each state. There's still work to be done at the state level.

I 100% agree!  Here in Virginia there is a constant struggle of where homebrew clubs can meet and competitions can be held.  The law seems to say that 2 oz pours can be served for evaluation or competition.  Some people think serving any homebrew at a brewery is not allowed.  If you ask the the ABC, they will pretty much always say that homebrewed beer is not allowed.  So some breweries and restaurants are okay with hosting clubs and competitions, some do not out of fear of loosing their license.

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2023, 07:29:41 pm »
Hello BrewBama, Amy Martin, mainbrewer, Megary, HopDen Skeeter686, BrewenWKooperCat, tommemorris, pete b, Wilber, pv, Drewch, Fire Rooster, YnotBrewsum, Denny and everyone taking your valuable time to read this.

Thank you for this thread and the time behind all your comments, questions, and input. LOTS to unpack and learn from, and I'm here to do just that as a homebrewer, AHA member since the 1990's and advocate.

Homebrew Shipping
Getting at the legality of homebrew shipping to competitions is of interest, especially since it's a top topic members ask about and mention in our surveys. From my Zymurgy Jan/Feb 2023 column: Today, we stand ready to do the same for shipping and assist unified state efforts where homebrew clubs and state brewers guilds are in sync. Please get in touch with us if your club or state has active efforts, and for those wanting to know about this issue’s history, check out Brewers Association Continues Efforts to Legalize USPS Shipping of Alcohol. Here is a link to that article https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/news/brewers-association-continues-efforts-to-legalize-usps-shipping-of-alcohol/.

In my new tenure as your Executive Director, I’m looking to learn where the roadblocks exist and what opportunities can be created. Reaching out to private carriers (UPS / Fed Ex) is in the works. If anyone has contacts please send them my way.

Clubs
In 2022 I gave more than 60 presentations (in-person or virtual), with many at homebrew clubs. For example, I spoke at the state brewers guild conference in North Carolina (Winston-Salem), reached out to all area homebrew clubs in advance of my trip to see if we could connect and also visited Bull City Homebrew Shop in Durham. What a great trip that was, and one day I'd love to be able to say I got to connect directly with clubs/homebrewers in every state (and beyond the U.S.) on behalf of the AHA. That will take time and invitations. Here is our updated speaker request https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/contact-us/virtual-in-person-speaking-engagement-request/. The longer in advance, the better, plus AHA Governing Committee members are options for speaking too. Additionally, one by one, I'm doing outreach to all of the 2K+ clubs in our list https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-clubs/find-a-homebrew-club/.

For homebrew-centric travels, please consider following me on @immaculatefermentation. Speaking of travel my next trip is to Chicago for the first week in February and I’m excited to get the chance to homebrew with the CHAOS homebrew club. Anyone who wants to join us please DM me direct or email.

Cheers to all and the chance to learn from you, and for knowing that the AHA is looking toward the future of homebrewing and where we can all collectively advance the hobby.

Julia
julia@brewersassociation.org
@immaculatefermentation
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 09:46:08 pm by jherzjherz »
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director
American Homebrewers Association | Boulder, CO 80302

Online BrewBama

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2023, 03:50:57 am »
Julia,

I appreciate your response to concerns/suggestions. I support your efforts even though I probably don’t fully understand the level commitment and hard work you’ve undertaken.  Sounds like you have a ‘next level’ mentality that many will get behind.  It is encouraging.

I also appreciate your taking the time to communicate both here and thru local interactions.  Sounds like y’all are going to have fun in Chicago.  May I recommend starting something like a ‘where the hell is Julia going next’ thread to periodically update your dates and publish trip reports along with a few photos. I wish you well in your travels.

If you’re ever in N AL I hope to raise a pint together. Don’t be a stranger.

(BTW, love the ‘beer goggles’.)

Cheers! — Dwain

Online KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2023, 07:27:03 am »
I apologize for this being so long. But I have been thinking about this along side the other post about why anyone other than white males don’t enter beers in competitions.

You want to grow membership? Three suggestions:

1) Quit running the organization like a woke trade group.  Run it like a motorcycle gang.  IOW run decentralized local chapters vs a centralized organization. (Example: the Army Aviation Alumni Association (AAAA https://www.quad-a.org/)). Not just a homebrew club that may or may not be a member of AHA but local chapters of a national organization. People want to belong to a local group of like minded individuals that share interests. Maybe a club can become a chapter or maybe several clubs make up a chapter. Maybe some clubs that make up a chapter will be all women, or Hispanic, or LGBQ… or just some members will be. Who cares. Quit focusing on the who and start focusing on the what.

2) Visit chapters. Snap photos. Publish them. It doesn’t have to be a forced event but when a member of leadership happens to be in an area and stops by a brewery for a beer tell some freakin body so they can meet and greet. Give the 2 minute elevator speech about where we’re headed and offer a toast. 30 minutes to an hour of management by walking around can do wonders to an organization.

3) Quit snubbing current membership. Find out where the membership is and meet them where they are. Quit with the excuses of the South can’t serve homebrew to the public. BS. We did it in Huntspatch and y’all were about to in Nastyville. Need nightlife, hotels, restaurants? Have you been to Knoxville, Atlanta, Asheville, Charleston, etc? Just quit with the excuses.

When I first started brewing beer in the 90(s) it was because I enjoy making stuff myself. I smoke meat, bake bread, cure bacon, garden, etc, etc. I wasn’t interested in sending my beer off to the county fair to have it judged against my neighbors to see who likes my beer. My satisfaction comes from combining raw ingredients into something I like to drink. That’s your target. Quit forcing diversity and find people. Not a certain gender. Not a certain color. Just people. People who like to make stuff. That target audience will naturally be diverse. Quit forcing it.

I had no idea there was a homebrew association back then. I later joined the AHA for a few years but was quickly turned off by the cost benefit analysis. As I said I don’t compete and it wasn’t worth me sending money to get a magazine full of advertisements for the latest shiny object, lists of competitors I don’t know, far off competitions, and endorsements and articles by celebrity homebrewers to add to the stack of other magazines in the bathroom. So I let my membership lapse years ago. The magazine and exclusive web access aren’t worth it to me.

Besides the negative cost benefit of membership, another reason I let my membership lapse is because of the big show put on every year on the West Coast, North, and N East Coast. The guys here have heard it before and I imagine they’re standing by with their ready made excuses. The fact is: Everyone is diligently working to try to grow the organization by including diverse groups while simultaneously ignoring the fact that over 25% of the current membership in the organization is based in the South yet hasn’t had a presence there in over a decade. Let that sink in.

A few years ago, the former grand poobah visited Nashville to set up the show there. Imagine that. All the excuses of why the show can’t come to the South were BS. Still are. Unfortunately, that show was cxl due to Covid. The show must go on so it’s back on the West Coast. Y’all have fun!

Turns out, during that visit, the grand poobah  made a whistle stop in Huntsville. Did he let anyone know he was in town? Nope. No AHA affiliated homebrew club came out to meet him. No announcement on AHA forum for a meet and greet. No one knew. Nada. He stopped by a local brewery drank a beer and snapped a photo with Keith. That’s how the local AHA members found out he was here. After the fact. What a wasted opportunity to touch base with local members that have been snubbed for over a decade. That photo could have been a few local homebrewers hoisting a glass at that brewery.  It could have been put in the magazine, here on the forum, and on the local clubs’ webpages. More beer sold for the brewery, membership getting a chance to rub elbows with the chief, photo op for the clubs and AHA. Win-win-win.  But no. The opportunity was squandered. Once again a snub to the members in the South.

And finally; We had a little fundraiser a while back. Local homebrewers brought donated, untaxed, homebrewed beer so the sponsor could sell a taster glass to the public to try the beer.  A cpl clubs came with a few members each. Here’s the thing: the ‘unaffiliated’ tent had more homebrewers under it than one of the clubs and was on par with the other. No one asked who anybody slept with, no one noticed what color the homebrewers or tasters were, no one asked what pronouns were used. No one cares. In the Deep South. We cared about coming together as homebrewers and the public to raise money for a cause. It was a naturally diverse group.

I was in the Army 21 yrs. The Army set up a framework to allow people from all walks of life to volunteer. I didn’t care who the soldier was next to me. I didn’t care what color they were, what sex they were, or what they did on their off time in their bedroom. What I cared about was performance. Can they do the job they were trained to do. Can they complete the mission.  I have many brothers and sisters I love and respect from all races, ethnic groups, genders, etc. That stuff just doesn’t matter.

The point: quit focusing on the who and start focusing on the what. Set up a framework so diversity can happen naturally. Quit forcing it.

Very well said, BrewBama!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2023, 07:59:08 am »
There isn't a need for state level lobbying anyway, since homebrewing has been legal in all 50 states since 2013.

I disagree. It's legal, yes. But there's tremendous variation in what's allowed (how much you can brew, how much you can have on hand, can it legally leave your home, etc, etc) in each state. There's still work to be done at the state level.

I 100% agree!  Here in Virginia there is a constant struggle of where homebrew clubs can meet and competitions can be held.  The law seems to say that 2 oz pours can be served for evaluation or competition.  Some people think serving any homebrew at a brewery is not allowed.  If you ask the the ABC, they will pretty much always say that homebrewed beer is not allowed.  So some breweries and restaurants are okay with hosting clubs and competitions, some do not out of fear of loosing their license.

This is very much what happened here in OR and other states. Local clubs organized and lobbied state legislatures with help and support from the AHA. We got a state legislator (who happened to be a homebrewer) to write and introduce the bill. The AHA provided us with support and then Director Gary Glass came and testified.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2023, 08:05:23 am »

This is very much what happened here in OR and other states. Local clubs organized and lobbied state legislatures with help and support from the AHA. We got a state legislator (who happened to be a homebrewer) to write and introduce the bill. The AHA provided us with support and then Director Gary Glass came and testified.
That sounds like a good model. I agree with BB's idea that if AHA folks come to an area for business it would be great to put the word out to local members for a meet and greet.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Online tommymorris

A Look Ahead - 2023 and the American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2023, 08:23:25 am »

When I lived in Mississippi this what happened to legalize homebrewing including Gary Glass coming and testifying. There was also a beer tasting  for legislators in Jackson (state capital) that Gary Glass attended. That was a fun party. We all served our beer.

PS. Gary tried my beer. I don’t think he liked it I was still relatively new to brewing.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 08:25:48 am by tommymorris »

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2023, 08:47:42 am »
Julia,

I appreciate your response to concerns/suggestions. I support your efforts even though I probably don’t fully understand the level commitment and hard work you’ve undertaken.  Sounds like you have a ‘next level’ mentality that many will get behind.  It is encouraging.

I also appreciate your taking the time to communicate both here and thru local interactions.  Sounds like y’all are going to have fun in Chicago.  May I recommend starting something like a ‘where the hell is Julia going next’ thread to periodically update your dates and publish trip reports along with a few photos. I wish you well in your travels.

If you’re ever in N AL I hope to raise a pint together. Don’t be a stranger.

(BTW, love the ‘beer goggles’.)

Cheers! — Dwain

Dwain, GENIUS, on a where am I going next thread. Will institute ASAP. Yes on next of next. The future is what I'm focused on while we learn from the past. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and getting this discussion going. Also, I'll DM to discuss more on your area and when there might be an opportunity to come visit.
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director
American Homebrewers Association | Boulder, CO 80302

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2023, 08:13:57 am »
This getting uncomfortably close to political.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2023, 09:01:09 am »
This getting uncomfortably close to political.

Agreed, removed post.

Thanks

www.dennybrew.com