Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Candi Syrup Substitute  (Read 186 times)

Offline HopDen

• Brewmaster
Candi Syrup Substitute
« on: January 24, 2023, 03:57:38 pm »
I am formulating a Belgian Golden Strong recipe and I want to use Simplicity Candi Syrup. After scaling up to 18 gallons, that puts me at 10lbs for the recipe. Not cost effective. Simplicity is made from beet sugar and I am fairly certain their process is probably more involved than just adding beet sugar to water and boiling. With that said, if I add 10 lbs of beet sugar (cane) to water ( unknown amount at this time) heat to dissolve, boil for X, will that get me close to what simplicity is? It should definitely dry the beer out and hit the ABV I am looking for.

I could also do a 50/50 between simplicity and my own sugar concoction.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Candi Syrup Substitute
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 04:13:12 pm »
I really like Candi Syrup's products, and I'm not saying cane sugar and Simplicity are the same, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a good quality cane sugar in a Belgian Strong Golden if you don't want to splurge for the Simplicity.  I brew a lot of light colored Belgian style beer, and you can get great results with cane sugar (which I would just add directly to the boil).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HopDen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 05:11:43 pm »
I really like Candi Syrup's products, and I'm not saying cane sugar and Simplicity are the same, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a good quality cane sugar in a Belgian Strong Golden if you don't want to splurge for the Simplicity.  I brew a lot of light colored Belgian style beer, and you can get great results with cane sugar (which I would just add directly to the boil).

I like them also. I use 90&180 in a number of beers and want to use simplicity in this one because I haven't used it yet.
Thanks for the input!

Offline chinaski

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 05:49:54 pm »
You shouldn't need as much crystalized (dry) sugar as syrup.  But you probably know that.

I've had good luck with unrefined sugar like jaggery, but it does have a flavor (that is good).

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 08:15:25 am »
I've used Simplicity enough to know you can sub table sugar just fine
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 02:20:01 pm »
You shouldn't need as much crystalized (dry) sugar as syrup.  But you probably know that.

I've had good luck with unrefined sugar like jaggery, but it does have a flavor (that is good).

im so tempted to use jaggery/piloncillo/panela etc some day. ive got panela at my house to try it and it has a strong and pleasant, but highly distinctive flavour. it would definitely bring something into a beer. also incredibly cheap, i think it was like $1.99 for a lb of a very dark and flavourful sugar rock

Offline HopDen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 03:14:15 pm »

Let me ask you, would beet sugar be a better choice over cane sugar?

Offline HopDen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 03:20:11 pm »

Honestly, I don't know. Other than Belgian Candi syrup I haven't used cane/beet sugar in brewing. So I would be interested in how to convert/substitute sugar for syrup.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 03:42:14 pm »

Let me ask you, would beet sugar be a better choice over cane sugar?

No difference whatsoever.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2023, 03:43:14 pm »

Honestly, I don't know. Other than Belgian Candi syrup I haven't used cane/beet sugar in brewing. So I would be interested in how to convert/substitute sugar for syrup.

Syrup is 36 ppg. Sugar is 45 ppg. So you'd use 20% less sugar.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HopDen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2023, 04:02:30 pm »

Thanks Denny, that definitely helps.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2023, 05:40:23 pm »

Difference is due to the water in the syrup.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!