Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AHA NHC pouring methods  (Read 616 times)

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
AHA NHC pouring methods
« on: January 29, 2023, 02:47:53 pm »
When registering for the AHA National Homebrew Competition, there’s a selection that needs to be made regarding the preferred pouring method for your submission: Quiet pouring do not rouse, Rouse yeast intentionally and Nitro beer pour hard. I assume a “Quiet pour” is holding the glass at a 45 degree angle and slowly pouring where “Rousing yeast” is more aggressive? What’s a hard pour? I usually pour with vigor and thought I was releasing carbonation, not rousing yeast. Can one of the judges here clarify?
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
Re: AHA NHC pouring methods
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 01:09:04 pm »
Hey there-

I relayed your question to the NHC team and received the following info:

• Quiet pour = standard pour where the bottle is not intentionally agitated so to rouse the yeast
  • Rouse = the bottle is agitated/rolled prior to pouring so that yeast is intentionally included/incorporated in the sample given to the judge
  • Pour Hard (Nitro) = for nitro beers (more common for commercial competitions) – bottle is poured completely inverted over the glass, so as to display the nitro carbonation

-Duncan
BA/AHA
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
Re: AHA NHC pouring methods
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 04:33:29 pm »
Excellent. Thanks for the follow up.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa