Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My LHBS is back  (Read 1212 times)

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
My LHBS is back
« on: July 03, 2022, 02:28:09 pm »
As the subject says, my LHBS is back.  They've been closed for more than two years because of COVID.

The store I use is actually owned by another homebrew shop.  It was basically a second location.  When COVID hit, the one I went to was closed and the primary location changed to online orders only.  You could pick up your order or get it shipped.  I went to that location a couple times, but it's too far to be convenient.  Probably almost an hour drive.  I also missed being able to go in and look at the stuff and talk to the guys working there.

I just found out the other day that the primary location is closing, and the store I used to go to has reopened and will now going to be the only location.  I feel bad for the folks who went to the shop that is now closed.  But I'm super exited to have my LHBS back!

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: My LHBS is back
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 06:19:51 pm »
That is awesome to hear! I am jealous of everyone who has a LHBS.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
  • Submarines once, Submarines Twice....
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 09:03:03 pm »
We have several here in Northern VA / DC / Maryland. 
My two are very different.  One (my normal shopping place) the guy wasn't very friendly to a noob, but has gotten better after shopping with him for three years.  Good variety of grain, yeast and hops and good stack of equipment.  Limited tastings and beer for sale.  it is a little out of the way, so you have to go there with a purpose.
The other is a bit more hipster.  It is in Arlington in a strip with several restaurants and bars.  Focus is more on wine and beer tasting and sales.  Good spread of grain and yeast, but not as high a turnover of grain, so not always as fresh.  much smaller equipment offering as well.
Both did ok through the CV-19 by offering online ordering and pick up. 
Still good to have a place to go and check out the equipment in person rather than ordering online.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 10:54:23 am »

if you happen to have one in a big city, or happen to be near a very big one that likely gets a lot of its sales online, and simply keeps a reasonable LHB shop that could be good, but i live in a city of 500k and the two or three LHBS here simply cannot compete in quality, selection or price (all 3 are inferior) with online stores. i feel bad for them, but i only end up using them if i forgot some item in an online order, like bottlecaps. their prices just suck so bad, even with shipping on top of an online order.

the 90s,early 00s LHBS in any random town is kind of a dead concept unfortunately, since it is still a niche hobby.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 11:50:55 am »

if you happen to have one in a big city, or happen to be near a very big one that likely gets a lot of its sales online, and simply keeps a reasonable LHB shop that could be good, but i live in a city of 500k and the two or three LHBS here simply cannot compete in quality, selection or price (all 3 are inferior) with online stores. i feel bad for them, but i only end up using them if i forgot some item in an online order, like bottlecaps. their prices just suck so bad, even with shipping on top of an online order.

the 90s,early 00s LHBS in any random town is kind of a dead concept unfortunately, since it is still a niche hobby.

It is hard for the small local one-off place to compete.  I still preferentially shop local when I can, but that is just a personal bias.  When the financials are too far out of Wack and don't make sense, I shop online too.  Especially with the DC metro area traffic, sometimes it is just too much a pain to make the trip. 

The wide variety of micro brews also I think drives people away from homebrewing.  The people (in my opinion and perspective) who really like beer and the variety of flavor and style, now have a lot of options instead of homebrewing to get the quality and variety.  I personally nerd out on the science and the art which is why I still enjoy (as a total novice) brewing.  My local guy is really just scrapping by, and we are in a huge area. 

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 05:09:12 pm »
Give your local your business; there are people in your community that are relying on you to support them.  I don't buy everything from my LHBS but I do support them and they appreciate it.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 07:45:28 pm »
Give your local your business; there are people in your community that are relying on you to support them.  I don't buy everything from my LHBS but I do support them and they appreciate it.

Yep, totally agree.  Before they shut down, if there was anything I needed for brewing that I could get at my LHBS, I would.  Which was pretty much everything unless I was after a particular malt they didn't happen to have.  I don't give them a ton of business because I usually only brew 2 or 3 times a year.  But I'll be going back there now whenever I need stuff.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 11:17:52 pm »
Jumping back to an old thread. Looks like my old place in Northern Virginia closed. Their web is dead.
We moved away in August but our new town doesn’t have a LHBS so I was going to order ingredients from my old place but the website is dead (404 dead).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 06:51:28 am »
My local hardware store/homebrew shop decided to get out of the homebrewing business a few weeks ago. I didn't use them a lot since I generally buy hops and grains in bulk online, but it was nice to be able to grab a pound of Vienna or a dry yeast packet if I needed something last minute. And someone cleared them out of grain before I could get there for the 50% off sale. I did get a wine kit for $40, so it looks like my Gewurztraminer Saison will be making a return this summer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 02:38:03 pm »
just as a data point, a major regional online and in-person (i think about equally focused, though i only ordered online from them a few times) homebrew supply store apparently quit the business in late 2022 to turn into a microbrewery. another online HBS closed mid 2022 in canada as well i remember.