Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Briess Ashburne Mild Malt experiences?  (Read 532 times)

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Briess Ashburne Mild Malt experiences?
« on: February 13, 2023, 03:22:28 pm »
Was poking around Morebeers website and saw this:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/briess-ashburne-mild-malt.html

looks interesting and a good candidate for a Smash beer, anyone have any experience with it?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Briess Ashburne Mild Malt experiences?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 03:25:27 pm »
I have enough for a Mild, will use it with other malts. I'm following the thread.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Briess Ashburne Mild Malt experiences?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 04:15:35 pm »
I recently used it in a Mild based on Machine House’s recipe.   When I posted my recipe here someone was concerned it would finish too sweet but I don’t find that at all. I am enjoying this beer. This beer has a roasty/chocolatety aroma and a nice viscosity.

Unfortunately, I can’t speak to the flavor of this malt in a SMaSH because I used chocolate and crystal malts with it.

Ref: https://beerandbrewing.com/recipe-machine-house-dark-mild/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 04:17:37 pm by BrewBama »

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Briess Ashburne Mild Malt experiences?
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 06:52:06 am »
I recently used it in a Mild based on Machine House%u2019s recipe.   When I posted my recipe here someone was concerned it would finish too sweet but I don%u2019t find that at all. I am enjoying this beer. This beer has a roasty/chocolatety aroma and a nice viscosity.

Unfortunately, I can%u2019t speak to the flavor of this malt in a SMaSH because I used chocolate and crystal malts with it.

Ref: https://beerandbrewing.com/recipe-machine-house-dark-mild/

I think that was me, wondering if it would be too sweet in high concentrations (based on hearsay of others on other forums). 

I have used it several times up to 20%, maybe 30% of a grist.  Haven't ever had too much sweetness from it, but I tend to step-mash most of my beers anyway.  I don't think it has been detrimental to anything I've put it in...

I think it's a good malt, but still trying to get a handle on it before building a recipe with higher percentages.  E.g., I have thought maybe a red ale/lager  with 60% Ashburne, 30% RedX, maybe some rye in there too.  Cashmere, Motueka, maybe Crystal/Mt Hood.  Touch of Victory/Biscuit/Abbey?

ETA:  I recall seeing reports on other sites/reddit of homebrewers that mentioned doing a SMASH of it with good results.  The Briess website lists a few Ashburne based recipes on their site, maybe one of those was a SMASH.  I know they have a barleywine called the Chupacabra that was not a smash but I think used a high percentage.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 07:03:26 am by ScallyWag »